Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: looking for quilting novel for GD

I'm giving my grand daughter a quilt for Christmas and wanted to give her a quilting novel to go with it. Although she is only 12, her reading level is way beyond that of a 12 year old. I do not want to go the route of Elm Creek series. Does anyone have a suggestion of a nice story she might enjoy? I'd love something about a grandmother, grand daughter and quilting. Thanks for the help ~ Nita

I've been looking through our old conversations looking for something that might suit your needs. http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/6259.page Loretta talks about this one. I'm certain you could get more info from her.

I read a book to my daughter called "A Quilt Story" it isn't a novel just a little story.

There is a darling fairy tale book about quilting but I just can't think of the name right now. It's about an older lady who makes quilts & gives them to deserving people. The king demands one but she won't give him one until he is nicer. Does this ring a bell with anyone? There is also a companion book of quilts with patterns for all the quilts mentioned in the story.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by annmarie
    There is a darling fairy tale book about quilting but I just can't think of the name right now. It's about an older lady who makes quilts & gives them to deserving people. The king demands one but she won't give him one until he is nicer. Does this ring a bell with anyone? There is also a companion book of quilts with patterns for all the quilts mentioned in the story.
    I have that book & it is a very good one. The name of it is,
    "The Quilt Makers Gift", story by Jeff Brumbeau, pictures by Gail de Marcken. It is published by Pfeifer-Hamilton Publishers, Duluth Minnesota. I hope this helps you to find one, on the internet. I think she will love it.

Cheryl

Thank you for the information.

My grandkids would like those books! :)

That's the one Cheryl. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Nita, if you go to Amazon.com & type in the name of the book, you'll find the story book & the quilt book too. It's really a great book for young & old alike.

Would make a nice xmas gift for any quilter too.

community benefactor collettakay's Avatar
    I did a search on amazon for "quilt books" and then selected the kids option at the side and there are an amazing amount of books. I was really surpised. Check it out.

How about The Quilt of Life, by Mary Tatem, Barbour Publishing, Inc. It is a lot of little stories with a devotional about the quilts of life. Excellent book, I received two for gifts and have given many out.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. I have The Quiltmaker's Gift on my bookshelf of Grandma books;It is a wonderful story, but my GD has read it and I was looking for something that is more of a novel and less of a picture book. The devotional book looks like one that I might enjoy, but not quite what I had in mind for GD. I have ordered "The Quilt" by Gary Paulson, as recommended by Barnes & Noble, though the age suggestion for it was 9 - 12. It is a chapter book, as I wanted, but I think it may be a bit young for her ...... I won't know until I see it. so, I'm still open to suggestions if anyone has any. Thanks. Nita

Quote Originally Posted by Nita
    I'm giving my grand daughter a quilt for Christmas and wanted to give her a quilting novel to go with it. Although she is only 12, her reading level is way beyond that of a 12 year old. I do not want to go the route of Elm Creek series. Does anyone have a suggestion of a nice story she might enjoy? I'd love something about a grandmother, grand daughter and quilting. Thanks for the help ~ Nita
    Funny you should mention the Elm Creek books. I want to start reading them, but want to begin at the beginning. I have a thing about starting in the middle and then having to go back and find the first in the series. Does that make sense?? It seems that I could get a list of the books. It didn't seem that the list I found on line was in any order. I'm kinda crazy when it comes to series. I usually try to find all of the books before I begin reading them. Am I nuts?

bj
    A favorite of mine is "The Keeping Quilt" by Patricia Polacco (sp). It's a picture book but is so full of how one quilt is woven thru the fabric and traditions of several generations of a family.

Gail - Here is a list of the Elm Creek series in order. You should be able to get them all thru your library's interlibrary loan if they don't have them. Or you can get used ones at Amazon.com. Xmas present?

The Quilter’s Apprentice (1999)

Round Robin (2000)

The Cross-Country Quilters (2001)

The Runaway Quilt (2002)

The Quilter’s Legacy (2003)

The Master Quilter (2004)
    The Sugar Camp Quilt (2005)

The Christmas Quilt (2005)

Circle of Quilters (2006)

The Quilter’s Homecoming (2007)

The New Year’s Quilt (2007)

The Winding Ways Quilt (2008)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Annmarie, you are the very best. Thank you for this list. I may not have time for quilting when I get these. :lol:

I bought the Quiltmakers Gift but did not know about the companion book. I'll have to hunt for that one.