Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   looking for sympathy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-sympathy-t191172.html)

wattse2000 06-08-2012 09:03 AM

looking for sympathy

2 Attachment(s)
Quilters! I need to cry on your collective shoulders. I made an enormous, queen-size, zig zag quilt for our bed. I love it. It's the first time I've ever used flannel backing -- I believe it was the snuggle flannel from Joann's. Anyway, I finally washed it and the flannel (hot pink) has bled through to the front where the quilting lines are!!!! Oh no!!!! So, so sad:( Is there anything I can do now?

DonnaC 06-08-2012 09:06 AM

Oh, dear. The only thing I can think of is possibly tossing it back into the wash with a couple of color catchers?

wattse2000 06-08-2012 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaC (Post 5274211)
Oh, dear. The only thing I can think of is possibly tossing it back into the wash with a couple of color catchers?

I'll try it! Where do I get those?

Christine- 06-08-2012 09:09 AM

I think washing it in cold water, with color catchers will help keep the bleed-through from getting worse. I don't know of anything that will take the pink back out once it's bled through though. :(

Quiltngolfer 06-08-2012 09:24 AM

Try Oxyclean. Spray it directly on the bleeding and let it soak for a while. Then put in in a cold water wash & rinse. Hopefully you didn't dry it in the dryer. Drying it usually sets the color. Good luck. It's a pretty quilt.

AndiR 06-08-2012 09:27 AM

Color Catchers can be found in the laundry section of most any store. You could also try washing it with Synthrapol. It's a special detergent (most quilt shops carry it) that will sometimes remove excess dye. If you've already put it in the dryer, that might make it harder to remove the dye. Either product, you might have to wash several times - do NOT put it in the dryer until the dye is gone. Good luck!

Lori S 06-08-2012 09:39 AM

Synthropol is the best way to go.. .I have had success getting a bleed out after assembly and wash. Just don't dry it. And the sooner the treatment the better.

Delta 06-08-2012 10:06 AM

wow I have never see it do that before agree wash again with a color catcher.hummm

kristakz 06-08-2012 10:09 AM

My very first quilt did this - royal blue backing, bled through along all the quilting lines. I didn't know what to do at the time, and ended up using bleach (which did remove the bleed, but also faded the quilt of course).

Colour Catchers are hard to find outside the US (Not sure where you are located) but if you can find them they may be your best shot. Oxyclean did a pretty good job on my last dye disaster (indigo blue onto white - see a trend here?).

wattse2000 06-08-2012 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by kristakz (Post 5274347)
My very first quilt did this - royal blue backing, bled through along all the quilting lines. I didn't know what to do at the time, and ended up using bleach (which did remove the bleed, but also faded the quilt of course).

Colour Catchers are hard to find outside the US (Not sure where you are located) but if you can find them they may be your best shot. Oxyclean did a pretty good job on my last dye disaster (indigo blue onto white - see a trend here?).

I was just thinking maybe I'd try applying bleach to the quilting lines that show up really bad on that bright green fabric. I guess it couldn't get any worse!