Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   looking for sympathy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-sympathy-t191172.html)

quiltingcurious 06-08-2012 10:50 AM

So much work, I hope one of these methods will remove the pink lines, it's a lovely quilt, so homespun-looking and comfortable.

bearisgray 06-08-2012 10:55 AM

NO NO NO to the bleach!!!

faykilgore 06-08-2012 10:59 AM

BLESS YOUR HEART. I don't have suggestions, but you have my total sympathy and shoulder for crying!

bearisgray 06-08-2012 10:59 AM

Hot pink is one of those colors I don't trust - actually - I don't trust ANY color -

Hope you get it out.

I will spare you the "you should have washed/rinsed it until the water is clear before using it" speech -

DawnFurlong 06-08-2012 11:20 AM

So sorry this happened. It's a lovely quilt. I am crossing my fingers that one of the suggestions works for you! I agree with posters - don't dry while your working on it. I have had stains on clothes that I was told I would never be able to get out - but with multiple treatments/washings (and NO dryer) - it has often times worked out well.

wattse2000 06-08-2012 11:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5274436)
NO NO NO to the bleach!!!

Too late! I just finished bleaching the most obnoxious line with a small paint brush. I do think the bleached line looks better than the hot pink stripe. Ugh. What a nightmare!!!

Silver Needle 06-08-2012 11:32 AM

So sorry this happened to you. Even though it's a hassle every time I hear a story like this I am more convinced than ever I should prewash everything. Do I? In the process of whipping up a quick baby quilt that I did not pre- wash. Do good intentions count?

wattse2000 06-08-2012 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5274447)
Hot pink is one of those colors I don't trust - actually - I don't trust ANY color -

Hope you get it out.

I will spare you the "you should have washed/rinsed it until the water is clear before using it" speech -

Ha! As a novice quilter I needed to hear this! Next time!!! NOW, how do I treat this quilt in the future? Do I ever wash it again???

MadQuilter 06-08-2012 11:50 AM

Did you dry the quilt in the dryer? If so, the damage is most likely done. Hoping you didn't: Don't use bleach because then you'll have permanent bleached stripes where you now have pink. I'd try Oxyclean - it comes in a spray bottle. After that is washed out, I would wash it in Synthrapol. Good luck.

I always prewash flannel because it has a tendency to shrink.

Oops, didn't realize that you had already started the bleaching.

quiltstringz 06-08-2012 11:55 AM

I would try the others before I used the bleach. Even if you had previously dried it try washing a couple more times with the color catchers and oxyclean. My mom had a red & white print - well after she washed and dried it red & pink. I think we washed about 5 more times and it finally came out red & white