Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   looking for sympathy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-sympathy-t191172.html)

LindaR 06-09-2012 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 5274290)
Synthropol is the best way to go.. .I have had success getting a bleed out after assembly and wash. Just don't dry it. And the sooner the treatment the better.

I agree with this....

coopah 06-09-2012 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle (Post 5274496)
So sorry this happened to you. Even though it's a hassle every time I hear a story like this I am more convinced than ever I should prewash everything. Do I? In the process of whipping up a quick baby quilt that I did not pre- wash. Do good intentions count?

Yes, prewash, especially after reading yesterday's QB about formaldehyde in fabrics. You really don't want to expose a baby to that chemical.

liking quilting 06-09-2012 05:19 AM

Oh, sending you a big hug. So much love and work into a quilt; that's not how you want it to end up.

maine ladybug 06-09-2012 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 5274290)
Synthropol is the best way to go.. .I have had success getting a bleed out after assembly and wash. Just don't dry it. And the sooner the treatment the better.

This is what I would use also. I worked for me once when a red bled on white. Good luck.

JustAbitCrazy 06-09-2012 05:40 AM

You have my sympathy. Now that you've already used bleach on the pink lines, I think I would use my dsm to quilt over them with a wide decorative stitch. That will help to hide what happened, and also strengthen those places, because that bleach is going to weaken the fabric there over time. I remember reading about something which you can use to stop the action of the bleach, and I think it's vinegar, but not positive. Anyone know for sure?

kakels 06-09-2012 07:04 AM

Try the suggestions and see if they work. If not,use it and love it anyway..... no one or no thing is perfect.

Julie in NM 06-09-2012 07:20 AM

Suggestion AFTER the disaster. I use flannel sheets for backing. King size sheet for queen size quilt. Never an issue w/bleeding. I get the sets when they are on sale at JC Penny's. I prewash them for shrinkage. Done this for two quilts and no bleeding issues at all....even w/the brown sheet. So sorry for your bleeding on fab. I know you are so upset.

MimiBug123 06-09-2012 08:18 AM

Oh my! That's terrible, and after all of that work! I'd try the Oxyclean, as well as color catchers. You can get the color catchers at walMart, but don't wait too long. The longer it stays, the more it sets!

dellareya 06-09-2012 08:28 AM

I also learned a very hard lesson with red flannel from Joann's. I allows pre wash flannel because of shrinkage.
One of the colors with a plain red. Worst case of color bleeding I'd ever seen. All the fabric I'd washed was ruined.
I carried it back to the store to complain. They were even shocked at how bad it was. They refunded my money and I learned never to wash RED with anything. I actually have learned I no longer use red flannel from Joann's.

CAS49OR 06-09-2012 08:48 AM

So sorry this happened! Sorry you bleached it too. I like JustABit's idea to use decorative stitching over the bleached lines. I was going to suggest Resolve Stain Stick which I have found takes out just about anything, but that's before it's been dried, or bleached.