Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Looking under the long arm quilting frame? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-under-long-arm-quilting-frame-t189219.html)

Ruby the Quilter 05-16-2012 06:24 PM

Looking under the long arm quilting frame?

I have a Tin Lizzie DS18 and like to check the stitching on the bottom to make sure everything is fine. I have a very hard time getting up and down off the floor. Has anyone come up with a way to use a mirror for this. Seems like I saw something for this in a magazine. I know that my friends on the QB will have a solution- you never fail me.

gayle bong 05-16-2012 06:34 PM

Does the tin lizzie have a table top that the panto sits on? I keep a mirror there. I have a small 8" x 10" mirror at each end of the table. I can see it best though if I shine a flashlight on the stitching from underneath - too dark otherwise to really see if the tension is any good. Actually, my tension is almost always perfect so I have been forgetting to look.

Silver Needle 05-16-2012 06:53 PM

Check the APQS quilting forum and search the archives for bobbin cam. A DH of a quilter has invented camera & monitor that show stitches on back side of quilt. It's on my someday list. I can still get down there for now and I am spending $ on classes first.

Mary Quilts 05-16-2012 06:56 PM

I use a long mirror and lay it on my table . it saves my back .

SittingPretty 05-16-2012 07:00 PM

Maybe attach a mirror to a long handle of sorts. That way you could move it under the quilt easier. You would still have to get down a bit to see it, but maybe on a chair or something. Or, maybe something like kids use to see around corners. It's sort of a tube with a mirror in it and an eye piece or something. I guess I'm not much help, but I know I've seen something like that. Good luck on your search!

bearisgray 05-16-2012 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by SittingPretty (Post 5222424)
Maybe attach a mirror to a long handle of sorts. That way you could move it under the quilt easier. You would still have to get down a bit to see it, but maybe on a chair or something. Or, maybe something like kids use to see around corners. It's sort of a tube with a mirror in it and an eye piece or something. I guess I'm not much help, but I know I've seen something like that. Good luck on your search!

A periscope like device?

Peckish 05-16-2012 07:28 PM

Most longarmers I know install one of those tall, skinny door mirrors under the frame. I have bins of fabric stored under mine, so this isn't practical for me. I found (at the hardware store!) an adjustable mirror on a telescoping wand, which works great for me.

Peckish 05-16-2012 07:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This looks like the one I got, and I think I paid $2 or $3 for it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]335879[/ATTACH]

MaggieBB 05-16-2012 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 5222466)
This looks like the one I got, and I think I paid $2 or $3 for it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]335879[/ATTACH]

You can buy this type of mirror at harbor freight, the machanics use it to see under car and truck motors to check for oil leaks.

Ruby the Quilter 05-16-2012 07:50 PM

Thanks so much. Knew I would get some great ideas!