Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Looking under the long arm quilting frame?

Blog Entries

Looking under the long arm quilting frame?

I have a Tin Lizzie DS18 and like to check the stitching on the bottom to make sure everything is fine. I have a very hard time getting up and down off the floor. Has anyone come up with a way to use a mirror for this. Seems like I saw something for this in a magazine. I know that my friends on the QB will have a solution- you never fail me.
    Quilting in the Desert

Does the tin lizzie have a table top that the panto sits on? I keep a mirror there. I have a small 8" x 10" mirror at each end of the table. I can see it best though if I shine a flashlight on the stitching from underneath - too dark otherwise to really see if the tension is any good. Actually, my tension is almost always perfect so I have been forgetting to look.

Check the APQS quilting forum and search the archives for bobbin cam. A DH of a quilter has invented camera & monitor that show stitches on back side of quilt. It's on my someday list. I can still get down there for now and I am spending $ on classes first.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

I use a long mirror and lay it on my table . it saves my back .

Maybe attach a mirror to a long handle of sorts. That way you could move it under the quilt easier. You would still have to get down a bit to see it, but maybe on a chair or something. Or, maybe something like kids use to see around corners. It's sort of a tube with a mirror in it and an eye piece or something. I guess I'm not much help, but I know I've seen something like that. Good luck on your search!
    SittingPretty

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SittingPretty View Post
    Maybe attach a mirror to a long handle of sorts. That way you could move it under the quilt easier. You would still have to get down a bit to see it, but maybe on a chair or something. Or, maybe something like kids use to see around corners. It's sort of a tube with a mirror in it and an eye piece or something. I guess I'm not much help, but I know I've seen something like that. Good luck on your search!
    A periscope like device?

Blog Entries
    Most longarmers I know install one of those tall, skinny door mirrors under the frame. I have bins of fabric stored under mine, so this isn't practical for me. I found (at the hardware store!) an adjustable mirror on a telescoping wand, which works great for me.

Blog Entries
    This looks like the one I got, and I think I paid $2 or $3 for it.

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  2.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    This looks like the one I got, and I think I paid $2 or $3 for it.

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  2.7 KB
    You can buy this type of mirror at harbor freight, the machanics use it to see under car and truck motors to check for oil leaks.

Blog Entries
    Thanks so much. Knew I would get some great ideas!
    Quilting in the Desert

Yes, that is what I use too, but I can feel with my fingertips if those under stitches are good or not....actually only used that mirror when I first started....now the fingertips are my guide and they have never failed these many years...Of course fortunately I have had very few tension problems with my machine over time.....but I check my stitches before I begin a project, just to make sure, and do any adjustments, if needed, then.

I have mirrors that were intended to be used on a wall, laid on my frame table and it works well.
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Yes, that is what I use too, but I can feel with my fingertips if those under stitches are good or not....actually only used that mirror when I first started....now the fingertips are my guide and they have never failed these many years...Of course fortunately I have had very few tension problems with my machine over time.....but I check my stitches before I begin a project, just to make sure, and do any adjustments, if needed, then.
    Ditto here!

Blog Entries
    i keep 12" mirror tile on my quilting table all the time- it is always right there when i want to take a peek- and it is a good size to see how things are really going
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Sorry but my first thought was to suggest one of those scooters (obviously with wheels) that mechanics use to roll under a car. LOL. I obviously don't have a LA.

I use a mirror all the time. It is easier to see the stitches if you use a small flashlight and shine it on the stitches.
    Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby the Quilter View Post
    I have a Tin Lizzie DS18 and like to check the stitching on the bottom to make sure everything is fine. I have a very hard time getting up and down off the floor. Has anyone come up with a way to use a mirror for this. Seems like I saw something for this in a magazine. I know that my friends on the QB will have a solution- you never fail me.
    After 2 years with the same signature I have been requested to remove it. Bye