Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   At a loss.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/loss-t173393.html)

patdesign 12-29-2011 05:07 PM

Forget the pink, go instead for a yellow, pale green, or pale blue or apricot (since they said they liked orange). I made 2 log cabins for gifts this christmas, both were blue log cabins and both had some denim in them. The fabrics were many different weights, and I used the stitch and flip method to construct individual blocks and the denim centers were embroidered. Fortunately both quilts were well received and I felt my time had been well spent.:)

Fabriclovr 12-29-2011 06:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
OK, here it is, the top at least. The quilting will happen tomorrow. I posted a picture on facebook and got a long awaited call from my daughter :) So nice to talk to her, we killed 2 phone cards LOL She loves it and thinks it will be loved as well! So here it is:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]298739[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298740[/ATTACH]

(btw, I think it is the ugliest quilt I have ever made! ROFL)

dublb 12-29-2011 07:17 PM

Most of the new mothers I've been around want quilts for their babies that aren't traditional baby quilts. My cousin wanted "chocolate & lime green." My DDIL wants stars. My DD wanted browns for her DD. Their friends also want different colors for their babies that surprised me. When they received their quilts (or in the case of friends 42" x42" blankets) they loved 'em in the colors of their choice. You made an awesome quilt & they should love it.:thumbup: (I personally can't stand orange.)

MadQuilter 12-29-2011 07:30 PM

There are quite a few 2-color blocks out there, so it would be a matter of finding one that doesn't have too small pieces to accommodate the slightly heavier twill. As for the rag quilt - I'm not sure the twill will rag properly.

Fabriclovr 12-29-2011 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by dublb (Post 4822593)
(I personally can't stand orange.)

And you should see this orange when the sun hits it.. OMG! who turned on the lights LOL Guess that is why it is called safety orange..

Nanamoms 12-29-2011 10:30 PM

I "think" I saw RealTree Camo at Hancock's. I know I saw Mossy Oak Camo. And to confuse things further, each of these brands come in different patterns, usually indicating the foliage found in fall and spring and also depending on what area of the country you are "hunting" in to blend with the terrain. We had the Mossy Oak developed here in MS so it's quite easy to find. The RealTree is a different manufacturer but it is readily available here in MS also. Sometimes, you can find the fabric itself at the hunting goods stores. I used to work for a Hunting Call Developer and we had all the camo products.

If you didn't have the "orange" fabric already, you can get the true "orange hunting fabric" at the fabric stores. It's the same weight as the Camo fabric in most cases since it is used to make vests to wear over the hunting shirts, jackets, etc.

My son and grandson have a closet full of the camo apparel. I used to have several shirts which I wore to trade shows but I gave them away since they has my name embroidered on them. Never thought about keeping them to cut up for quilts....oh well!!!

Annaquilts 12-29-2011 11:04 PM

Yes this and maybe no batting or polly only.

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 4816265)
No Pink, means NO pink!
I'd follow the request. And keep to JUST the "official" orange addition.

Keep it simple ... leave the camo as is, for the front or back of the quilt. with orange on the flip side. Then bind it in an orange. Then do your quilting in the orange .... perhaps that's where you could "baby-ify" it ... do the quilting in animal shapes? alphabet? baby's birth info (eg. date, weight, height, city, parents names)? etc?

Re Log cabin etc. ... I think you may be frustrated with the work you put into it, and then it not showing, when it's all the same fabric.

Good Luck!

Pepita 12-29-2011 11:47 PM

I have made a quilt that has the braid look for borders. I know it can also be used just as vertical stripes. You could do this with coordinating colors, either green and brown, or grey and white, or what ever color the chamo they have sent you. Then I think I would put a very small strip of orange separating the braids. I personally think you arent going to enjoy doing this quilt, so make one that you can finish quickly!

Pepita 12-29-2011 11:49 PM

Oh, camo has changed. Camo is camoflage for the area that the soldier or hunter is in. In the artic it is white, and grey. For the dessert it is the color of sand. You get the idea.

Fabriclovr 12-30-2011 09:17 AM

PERSONAL OBSERVATION: I truly appreciate all of the comments, but does no one read through the entire post or the complete post? I posted the completed top and I am still getting comments on where to find the fabric or what type of pattern I should use and even a description as to what camo is.. I don't understand why people are still posting after the fact that it is already done. Can someone enlighten me on this?