Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lost Without a Project. You? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lost-without-project-you-t224754.html)

wishfulthinking 06-29-2013 03:14 AM

Lost Without a Project. You?

If I don't have a quilting project or some kind of hand work going, I'm just lost. Kind of like my mind can't rest and I'm dissatisfied & squirmy. I'm getting ready to spend a week away with a lot of sitting around, down time. I always have sock knitting, but haven't been able to get a sewing project together to take with me & it's driving me nuts! I'm totally stressed out about a trip I'll enjoy that will only last a week. Do y'all get that way or do I need professional help? Sometimes I can't sleep at night for trying to plan the next project.

JenniePenny 06-29-2013 03:23 AM

I am the very same way. It goes a step further too. Unlike many who feel elated when they finish a project, I feel a sense of loss because this quilt that has consumed all of my time and devotion doesn't need me anymore. It's like a child reaching adulthood. So when I'm in between quilting projects, I do sometimes wander around the sewing room (and the house) a bit aimlessly.

LynnVT 06-29-2013 03:27 AM

I am in exactly the same situation, and yes, I'm going through withdrawal. I put away my sewing machine and Sweet 16 and cleaned everything up as daughters and grandkids are coming for a couple of weeks. I do plan to make some American Girl doll clothes with one of the grands the second week, but I am feeling really weird. I also knit, but not socks, and don't have a project going right now. May stop at JoAnn's on the way to the beach for some cotton yarn I can crochet into dishcloths just as a temporary fix. Yes. I am addicted, but I will do just fine. I think. Wait, I remember a ziplock bag in my quilt closet with some drunkard's path block I was hand sewing a couple years ago. Maybe I can find that and stick it in the car before we head to the beach. Let's see, need a needle, thread, thimble....

Jackie Spencer 06-29-2013 03:37 AM

Im the same way. My hands have to be busy. Even after spending most of the day in my sewing room, when I retire to the living room in the evening, I can not just sit and watch TV. Thats when I do my hand work, bindings, applique, hand quilting or embroidery.

SandiGrove 06-29-2013 03:55 AM

So glad I'm not alone! I also lie awake for hours if I don't have something on the go, because I am so bad I have devised a few strategies lol in winter I knit in the evenings - summers too hot - something big ie a blanket and I put it away in summer I also have collected a few 'hand' blocks of the months and i always have 1 block in a small container with everything and that goes away with me always. Good luck

wishfulthinking 06-29-2013 04:13 AM

It feels good to know I have such good company! I guess I could cut some squares for hexies for my trip, but I've done one of those before without a plan & it hasn't ended so well. Part of my problem is it takes me so agonizingly long to settle on a plan or pattern for the next project.

judylg 06-29-2013 04:39 AM

I find to fill the void when a project is finished, it feels good but I am searching for something else to do. I do redwork, it takes a bit longer and it is a great pick up and go project to work on, does not take up a lot of space when travelling either. I do have to watch myself as everything looks so darned appealing when I finish something up, that I pick and choose carefully.

DOTTYMO 06-29-2013 04:56 AM

Because a finished project leaves an empty lost feeling perhaps that is why we have so many UFO's being finished at present.
I hate not having hand stitching of some kind. I do knit and crochet but sewing is different.

sweetpea 06-29-2013 05:04 AM

boy do I know how you are filling. I can't go any where with out someting in my hands. Can you put some emboidery work, or yo yo's ? have to have something HA HA have fun on your trip.

justflyingin 06-29-2013 05:21 AM

I feel the same way. If I don't have a sewing project going on, there is a definite void. Even filling 50 bobbins is at least getting something done in the sewing room! :)