Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost Without a Project. You?

Lost Without a Project. You?

If I don't have a quilting project or some kind of hand work going, I'm just lost. Kind of like my mind can't rest and I'm dissatisfied & squirmy. I'm getting ready to spend a week away with a lot of sitting around, down time. I always have sock knitting, but haven't been able to get a sewing project together to take with me & it's driving me nuts! I'm totally stressed out about a trip I'll enjoy that will only last a week. Do y'all get that way or do I need professional help? Sometimes I can't sleep at night for trying to plan the next project.
    http://www.thingsthatarenotperfect.blogspot.com/

I am the very same way. It goes a step further too. Unlike many who feel elated when they finish a project, I feel a sense of loss because this quilt that has consumed all of my time and devotion doesn't need me anymore. It's like a child reaching adulthood. So when I'm in between quilting projects, I do sometimes wander around the sewing room (and the house) a bit aimlessly.
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

I am in exactly the same situation, and yes, I'm going through withdrawal. I put away my sewing machine and Sweet 16 and cleaned everything up as daughters and grandkids are coming for a couple of weeks. I do plan to make some American Girl doll clothes with one of the grands the second week, but I am feeling really weird. I also knit, but not socks, and don't have a project going right now. May stop at JoAnn's on the way to the beach for some cotton yarn I can crochet into dishcloths just as a temporary fix. Yes. I am addicted, but I will do just fine. I think. Wait, I remember a ziplock bag in my quilt closet with some drunkard's path block I was hand sewing a couple years ago. Maybe I can find that and stick it in the car before we head to the beach. Let's see, need a needle, thread, thimble....

Im the same way. My hands have to be busy. Even after spending most of the day in my sewing room, when I retire to the living room in the evening, I can not just sit and watch TV. Thats when I do my hand work, bindings, applique, hand quilting or embroidery.

So glad I'm not alone! I also lie awake for hours if I don't have something on the go, because I am so bad I have devised a few strategies lol in winter I knit in the evenings - summers too hot - something big ie a blanket and I put it away in summer I also have collected a few 'hand' blocks of the months and i always have 1 block in a small container with everything and that goes away with me always. Good luck

It feels good to know I have such good company! I guess I could cut some squares for hexies for my trip, but I've done one of those before without a plan & it hasn't ended so well. Part of my problem is it takes me so agonizingly long to settle on a plan or pattern for the next project.

I find to fill the void when a project is finished, it feels good but I am searching for something else to do. I do redwork, it takes a bit longer and it is a great pick up and go project to work on, does not take up a lot of space when travelling either. I do have to watch myself as everything looks so darned appealing when I finish something up, that I pick and choose carefully.

Blog Entries
    Because a finished project leaves an empty lost feeling perhaps that is why we have so many UFO's being finished at present.
    I hate not having hand stitching of some kind. I do knit and crochet but sewing is different.
    Finished is better than a UFO

boy do I know how you are filling. I can't go any where with out someting in my hands. Can you put some emboidery work, or yo yo's ? have to have something HA HA have fun on your trip.
    Scrapy quilts have more love in them.

I feel the same way. If I don't have a sewing project going on, there is a definite void. Even filling 50 bobbins is at least getting something done in the sewing room!

wishfulthinking... if you need professional help... then get in line!

I've got to have handwork of some kind. That's why I took up cutting hexies and handpiecing grandmother's flower garden. Easy to take along anywhere. And I don't feel bad if it takes forever to finish! Also have some embroidery standing by for "just in case".

Blog Entries
    Finally, it is so nice to know that I'm not the only one "crazy"!! I keep making lists to my next project; change the list; number the projects in the order to which I want to proceed with them. When I see that I am almost done with a creative piece; the panic sets in. Do I have enough material for that next masterpiece? If I order online, how long before I can begin? Oh, the questions that swirl in the wee hours of the morn. Panic sets in and then the sleepless hours begin. But what fun it is to see the projects develop!!! Carry on, my fellow quilters!!

Blog Entries
    I always have a hand sewing project in my purse...can't stand to sit and just wait. If I don't have a project going,I get into a lot of trouble as I then have time to think up " honey-do" projects for DH!
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

When I didn't have a project that was portable for where I was going I found I had quite a few options.

- I took my scraps and cut them into manageable pieces and put those for cutting strips aside til I got home and had more space for cutting.

If I am still in town visiting at a friend's then I can take my quilting magazines with me and mark those I want to scan and save when I get back home. A rather large group of us share our magazines so I always seem to have some.

All of these help energize me so that when home again I am ready to go quilt/sew.

- I cut out fabric for yo-yo's so I would have handwork to do at meetings and when traveling. Now I have a nice little yo-yo fabric stash.

- I have my EQ6 on my notebook, so I can play with that all I want. I also have my software program for my quilting machine on my notebook, so I can play with that too.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I, too, have been stuck in that position. I've tried to correct it by always having a hand-applique project that I can pick up in-between. I'm one who can't just sit and watch TV. I've got to be doing something! I've also realized that I've got a "bucket list" that will last until well after I'm dead and gone, so I don't have to worry about not having a project. However, I always seem to be missing something - that right color of blue, or template material to cut templates, or something that stops me from quilting until I visit the fabric shop. Either that, or it's just my excuse to add to my stash LOL!

I SO relate!! I can't just sit and watch TV..maybe that's why I love to hand quilt.A few weeks ago, I knew I needed to go to the hospital for respiratory distress. I wouldn't go until the next day, so I could get a quilt sandwiched to work on there...My family almost killed me, but knew better than to fight with me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    I SO relate!! I can't just sit and watch TV..maybe that's why I love to hand quilt.A few weeks ago, I knew I needed to go to the hospital for respiratory distress. I wouldn't go until the next day, so I could get a quilt sandwiched to work on there...My family almost killed me, but knew better than to fight with me!!
    You just might be an obsessed quilter if.....

I do a lot of transporting people to the Dr. and grocery store, etc., so I always keep something in the side pocket of my car to work on while I wait for them. I like to have some mug rugs or something small that still need to have binding sewed down. At present I am doing some hand embroidery with me. Small gifts are great to work on while waiting and sitting.

Blog Entries
    OMG I feel the same way, glad i'm not the only one. I get all squirmy too, and feel like i'm wasting time, get depressed and antsy. i'm happiest when I have a project or I know what's next. Without a project, I feel like there's good time going out the window. I want a hand project all the time too, but after I finish my GFG and gave it to my kitty Zoey, I now have no hand project. I do hand quilting too

Blog Entries
    I have a box with GFG pieces and a bag with my yoyo maker and a charm pack in my 'school' bag. I am retired, but the bag stays packed and ready for any time I might have to sit. I am making table runners with each of them - I don't have the patience to think in larger terms when it's hand work.

Blog Entries
    It's because we love so much what we do. I'm the same way. sometimes I go to work with my husband 3 or 4hundred miles away, so I pack a lot of stuff in grocery bags etc. all around other things, I sure don't want to be without something to work on. Or read and definitely my Computer. I can sit, but my hands won't.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    OMG I feel the same way, glad i'm not the only one. I get all squirmy too, and feel like i'm wasting time, get depressed and antsy. i'm happiest when I have a project or I know what's next. Without a project, I feel like there's good time going out the window. I want a hand project all the time too, but after I finish my GFG and gave it to my kitty Zoey, I now have no hand project. I do hand quilting too
    Yes! That's it. I get depressed. I can't rest. Thanks for relating.

I have felt like that before, but last year my DH let me take my sewing machine & I made us a Christmas wall hanging. This year, I've decided to bring a log cabin star kit & a Snowman wall hanging! Very cool stuff! :-) Of course when home, I'm always planning the next project while I'm working on the present one. My quilting calms my soul & like all of you, I have to stay busy & productive. I'm so glad you brought this topic up!! I thought I was just weird!
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to GOD

Blog Entries
    I thought I am the way you all describe because I'm new to quilting. I add hundreds of free block and patterns to my favorites; download and print paper piecing blocks, read all the blogs, etc. I've made a dozen beginner quilts and a couple of sampler quilts; not satisfied with those, but not confident enough to get more advanced blocks/patterns. I'm wasting lots of time "preparing" for something, but not accomplishing anything. But... can't stop! Help!
    Barbara
    Life is a coin, You can spend it anyway you wish,
    But you can only spend it once!

I always have to have something to be working on when I sit in my living room and watch tv. Right now I am doing a counted cross stitch of two roses. I just finished a needlepoint pillow. I confess I haven't been in the mood to quilt in a couple of months. But I do have a few quilts planned in my head for when the mood "hits" me.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast