Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lst night I met the Quilt Police! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lst-night-i-met-quilt-police-t196953.html)

mcar 08-09-2012 04:28 AM

I have had to stop reading comments as I am getting confused! I always place mine labels on the lower right of the back.....and I never intend to enter a show or fair. My own satisfaction is enough for now.

QuiltE 08-09-2012 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 5428115)
I didn't take this question to be about entry labels, which someone at the fair ought to be taking care of, not the maker.

And the OP was asked to clarify whether it was the entry label or the personal one.
She has yet to do so.
At the Fair's I've entered, it is MY responsibility to ensure the entry tag is on the quilt, in the proper place and properly attached as per the prize list instructions.

QuiltE 08-09-2012 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by captlynhall (Post 5427808)
I'm sorry ladies, but the comments about not following any rules sounds like petulant teenagers. You don't have to give up your creativity to cooperate with the requirements of a given show.

Well Said!!!!!!

Ghostie gave you some good info. I'll add ... entry info is often somewhat ambiguous, not by intention, just that it's volunteers putting it together, and it's clear to them! I have found there is no set order it will be in the book, and can be somewhat jumbled.

So I just sit down with a cup of tea, my favourite highlighter and mark what I need to know. And hopefully get it all sorted out. In Fair season last year, I got totally confused, as what was required at one Fair was not be at another, or it may be was but with a slightly different twist! The funny part was that they all belong to the same Provincial
Fair Assoc, so they have the Prov. rules to follow, but then can add in their own local ones ... oh the complications.

And when one gets totally lost ... get on the PHONE and ASK the person in charge! :)

About the personal label ... it needs to be covered to hide your identifying information.
About the entry label ... here we have cards that you complete, and a flap folds over your identifying info, with the class info, remaining in site.

Caswews 08-09-2012 04:52 AM

Good luck and wow is all I can say ..

bearisgray 08-09-2012 05:04 AM

I have some questions now -

Can one put on one's permanent label wherever one wants to - and then make a 'temporary' one for any given show and just 'lightly' sew it on? Would one have to cover the permanent one for the show?

Would one need to baste a piece of muslin or something over the permanent label?

Do judges look at the label(s) and evaluate the 'quality' of them? Occasionally people do put labels over boo-boos to hide/camouflage them.

quiltist 08-09-2012 05:15 AM

Yep and you are lucky it was a county fair, think of the issues with a profession juried quilt show. I have heard nightmare stories about you can't have any space in the binding edge, label locations, thread count, etc.

I really hope you win a ribbon. Good luck.

quiltmom04 08-09-2012 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by lhunt825 (Post 5425977)
Hi everyone. I am new to quilting and this is my first post. I read ya'll every day and have learned so much from your expertise. However, I have a question. What do you put on a quilt label? I have just finished my first large quilt (queen sized). it is ready for the label.

I put the name of a quilt ( if there is one - I generally don't name my quilts). Mine usually say something like this: Made with love for Grandma Smith for her 80th birthday, July 17, 2012. Pieced and quilted by Ima Quilter, Smalltown, PA. Sometimes if I am doing the quilt for a class I'm giving, I'll reference the book or pattern I've used and this is generally where I do use a name. For example -"This quilt is called Surprise Star from Jane Doe's book Lotsa Stars." You can add anything else you want. Generally I include what I would want quilt documenters in 100 years to know about the quilt.

QuiltE 08-09-2012 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5428272)
I have some questions now -

Can one put on one's permanent label wherever one wants to - and then make a 'temporary' one for any given show and just 'lightly' sew it on? Would one have to cover the permanent one for the show?

Would one need to baste a piece of muslin or something over the permanent label?

Do judges look at the label(s) and evaluate the 'quality' of them? Occasionally people do put labels over boo-boos to hide/camouflage them.

This whole label issue hasn't been an issue when I have entered.

Permanent labels are to be covered. It's quite acceptable to use a piece of fabric and pin it on with safety pins.
Likewise, some shows/fairs require a hanging sleeve, some not. The sleeve may be permanent or it is acceptable for it to be pinned in place.
Entry tags are cardstock cards provided for us to complete to be pinned on. Only class info is shown for judging, then the personal info is unfolded to show afterwards.
And all the above mentioned pins MUST be safety pins, for obvious reasons!

And to note this is what I have found with the Fairs I have entered. As stated earlier, it's important to READ carefully before taking in one's entries, and make sure all meets the requirements. And then READ again, to see what one has missed!!!!

maxo 08-09-2012 09:24 AM

Quilt police in action again..lol That is one reason I would never put one of my quilts in a fair. Also at our fair many quilts have been stolen, so don't want to go there.

At our fair they hang a few then the rest are folded to about 1/3 of the quilt and hung over a railing behind a rail...now you just cannot see the quilt this way. so not so fun to look at. I want to see the whole thing!

bakermom 08-09-2012 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5428228)
Well Said!!!!!!

Ghostie gave you some good info. I'll add ... entry info is often somewhat ambiguous, not by intention, just that it's volunteers putting it together, and it's clear to them! I have found there is no set order it will be in the book, and can be somewhat jumbled.

So I just sit down with a cup of tea, my favourite highlighter and mark what I need to know. And hopefully get it all sorted out. In Fair season last year, I got totally confused, as what was required at one Fair was not be at another, or it may be was but with a slightly different twist! The funny part was that they all belong to the same Provincial
Fair Assoc, so they have the Prov. rules to follow, but then can add in their own local ones ... oh the complications.

And when one gets totally lost ... get on the PHONE and ASK the person in charge! :)

About the personal label ... it needs to be covered to hide your identifying information.
About the entry label ... here we have cards that you complete, and a flap folds over your identifying info, with the class info, remaining in site.

when you are entering a show, county fair or other competition, it is YOUR responsiblity to read the rules and enter you item correctly. the time to ask ?? is before you get there, not in line to check in.

Our fair has different categories under each class, it's easy to enter wrong. I know. i' ve done it. You're DQ'd. Aggravating,disappointing, but no one to blame but myself.