Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine Applique Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-applique-question-t288178.html)

Boston1954 05-11-2017 01:39 PM

Machine Applique Question

My satin stitch has been acting funny, so I switched to the blanket stitch and am enjoying it. I did not want to fool with the tension settings and mess up my regular piecing.

My question is about a project with 12 snowmen that are all started but many are only half finished. Would it look goofy if I did the rest of them with the blanket stitch? Do you think it would be eclectic or would they not want to play together?

QuiltnNan 05-11-2017 02:10 PM

i think if you alternate them in the layout it would look like a design choice

ckcowl 05-12-2017 03:04 AM

I agree with quiltnNan, alternate them, or if you only have a couple satin stitched just lay them out with the blanket stitched ones and arrange them in a pleasing manner- it will be fine. I do Tons of machine appliqué and use blanket stitch 99% of the time. I did once inherit some unfinished blocks that had 3 satin stitched. I placed them in the center in a group surrounded by the others I sewed with the blanket stitch. The quilt came out Very cute! It was a santa quilt.

Boston1954 05-12-2017 06:02 AM

I guess I worded my question wrong. You see each of the 12 is partially done. All 12 blocks have some work finished and some left to do. There would be satin stitch and blanket stitch mixed together.

quiltsRfun 05-12-2017 06:21 AM

Finish one and see what you think. If you post a picture we can give you our opinions.

Onebyone 05-12-2017 07:23 AM

I would find out the problem with the satin stitch. Tension is easy to change. You have to change tension with different types of thread to get a balanced stitch. Start with 0 and go up 1/2 mark until stitching the way you like. Knowing how to set the correct tension is the most important part of sewing.

stitch678 05-12-2017 04:51 PM

Are all the blocks done the same amount ? I' m thinking you did the same part on each, due perhaps to color or shape.lf that' s the case, you can easily complete each in the blanket stitch. I often use 3 or 4 varieties of stitching in applique quilts...it adds interest.

farmquilter 05-13-2017 05:26 AM

Boston1954, you might try to unsew one block. On the back, slip the point of a ripper under the threads and gently push to cut the threads. A tunnel of sorts, is created from the satin stitches. If that works you might want to spend some time removing the satin stitching.

I remove embroidery satin stitches using this method and it works for me every time.

soccertxi 05-13-2017 01:49 PM

I would bet, by the time you finish them, piece the top and quilt it...stand back. You will never see the difference...

Boston1954 05-14-2017 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here they are. Most are halfway finished. Only two are done, the kitty, and the owl. I really do like the blanket stitch, but as someone said earlier, I should find out why the satin stitch is acting up.