Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Machine Applique Question

Machine Applique Question

My satin stitch has been acting funny, so I switched to the blanket stitch and am enjoying it. I did not want to fool with the tension settings and mess up my regular piecing.

My question is about a project with 12 snowmen that are all started but many are only half finished. Would it look goofy if I did the rest of them with the blanket stitch? Do you think it would be eclectic or would they not want to play together?
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    i think if you alternate them in the layout it would look like a design choice
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    I agree with quiltnNan, alternate them, or if you only have a couple satin stitched just lay them out with the blanket stitched ones and arrange them in a pleasing manner- it will be fine. I do Tons of machine appliqué and use blanket stitch 99% of the time. I did once inherit some unfinished blocks that had 3 satin stitched. I placed them in the center in a group surrounded by the others I sewed with the blanket stitch. The quilt came out Very cute! It was a santa quilt.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I guess I worded my question wrong. You see each of the 12 is partially done. All 12 blocks have some work finished and some left to do. There would be satin stitch and blanket stitch mixed together.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

Blog Entries
    Finish one and see what you think. If you post a picture we can give you our opinions.

I would find out the problem with the satin stitch. Tension is easy to change. You have to change tension with different types of thread to get a balanced stitch. Start with 0 and go up 1/2 mark until stitching the way you like. Knowing how to set the correct tension is the most important part of sewing.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Are all the blocks done the same amount ? I' m thinking you did the same part on each, due perhaps to color or shape.lf that' s the case, you can easily complete each in the blanket stitch. I often use 3 or 4 varieties of stitching in applique quilts...it adds interest.

Boston1954, you might try to unsew one block. On the back, slip the point of a ripper under the threads and gently push to cut the threads. A tunnel of sorts, is created from the satin stitches. If that works you might want to spend some time removing the satin stitching.

I remove embroidery satin stitches using this method and it works for me every time.

I would bet, by the time you finish them, piece the top and quilt it...stand back. You will never see the difference...

Here they are. Most are halfway finished. Only two are done, the kitty, and the owl. I really do like the blanket stitch, but as someone said earlier, I should find out why the satin stitch is acting up.
    Attached Images Attached Images