Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine Binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-binding-t193031.html)

MommaDorian 06-28-2012 10:37 AM

Machine Binding

Does anybody have a picture of the back of a machine bound quilt? My binding work needs a TON of work. I clearly don't have it right, so I was wondering what it really should look like.

burchquilts 06-28-2012 11:14 AM

OK, I'll admit right up front that I'm dumb as a bag of hammers. But I don't quite understand. Do you want to see the back of the binding after it's been sewn on the machine attaching it or tacking it down on the back?

kathy 06-28-2012 11:21 AM

I didn't take any pictures but I can tell you thaat it NOT easy to make it look decent let alone nice. When they give instructions it sounds simple but I tried several times and I consider myself a pretty good seamstress. To me it's worth the extra time nd effort to do it by hand so that ot looks presentable. good luck

MommaDorian 06-28-2012 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by burchquilts (Post 5323784)
OK, I'll admit right up front that I'm dumb as a bag of hammers. But I don't quite understand. Do you want to see the back of the binding after it's been sewn on the machine attaching it or tacking it down on the back?

Yes, I want to see the back of a quilt that was machine bound. I want to see what the binding on the back of the quilt looks like.

ckcowl 06-28-2012 12:59 PM

i have never been happy with a machine applied *front & back* binding---mine always just (in my opinion) ruin the quilt- i don't even try anymore- i figure if i'm going to put the work into the quilt it makes no sense to ruin it by taking a short cut at the end- so i machine stitch to the front- fold to the back & hand stitch into place-
i know there are a ton of tutorials out there showing ways to do it- & some people will use a decorative stitch - but the few quilts i have tried them on i have been so horribly disappointed with i would never take a picture of it- the quilts generally wind up just going to goodwill

Peckish 06-28-2012 01:33 PM

I personally prefer to hand-stitch mine down, but I have a friend who does beautiful machine binding. She sews the binding on the front side as usual, then turns the binding to the back, tacks it down with Elmer's glue, then does a decorative stitch that looks like a snowflake on the back. It looks pretty on both sides of the quilt.

Olivia's Grammy 06-28-2012 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 5324063)
I personally prefer to hand-stitch mine down, but I have a friend who does beautiful machine binding. She sews the binding on the front side as usual, then turns the binding to the back, tacks it down with Elmer's glue, then does a decorative stitch that looks like a snowflake on the back. It looks pretty on both sides of the quilt.

I do this do with some type of decorative stitch. Some I sew down by hand, but not baby quilts.

MommaDorian 06-28-2012 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 5324063)

Sounds beautiful! Would she share a picture?

delma_paulk 06-28-2012 01:44 PM

I sew the binding on the back first, then bring it to the front, make sure the edge is just over the seam when you turn it, then I use a decorative stitch and stitch on the stitch line from the back.

carolaug 06-28-2012 02:32 PM

I love machine binding. I sew the back first and then flip the binding to the front and use a decorative stitch. I love how they come out. I use 2 1/2 inch strips for my binding. I also use elmers stick glue and iron it to the front then sew.