Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 88

Thread: Machine Binding

  1. #1
    Super Member MommaDorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sully, Iowa
    Posts
    2,506
    Blog Entries
    2

    Machine Binding

    Does anybody have a picture of the back of a machine bound quilt? My binding work needs a TON of work. I clearly don't have it right, so I was wondering what it really should look like.
    Dorian

    If you've met one child with Autism, you've met ONE child with Autism.

  2. #2
    Super Member burchquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Holmen, WI
    Posts
    6,447
    OK, I'll admit right up front that I'm dumb as a bag of hammers. But I don't quite understand. Do you want to see the back of the binding after it's been sewn on the machine attaching it or tacking it down on the back?
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

  3. #3
    Moderator kathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    on the Texas Coast
    Posts
    4,050
    I didn't take any pictures but I can tell you thaat it NOT easy to make it look decent let alone nice. When they give instructions it sounds simple but I tried several times and I consider myself a pretty good seamstress. To me it's worth the extra time nd effort to do it by hand so that ot looks presentable. good luck

  4. #4
    Super Member MommaDorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sully, Iowa
    Posts
    2,506
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    OK, I'll admit right up front that I'm dumb as a bag of hammers. But I don't quite understand. Do you want to see the back of the binding after it's been sewn on the machine attaching it or tacking it down on the back?
    Yes, I want to see the back of a quilt that was machine bound. I want to see what the binding on the back of the quilt looks like.
    Dorian

    If you've met one child with Autism, you've met ONE child with Autism.

  5. #5
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,333
    Blog Entries
    1
    i have never been happy with a machine applied *front & back* binding---mine always just (in my opinion) ruin the quilt- i don't even try anymore- i figure if i'm going to put the work into the quilt it makes no sense to ruin it by taking a short cut at the end- so i machine stitch to the front- fold to the back & hand stitch into place-
    i know there are a ton of tutorials out there showing ways to do it- & some people will use a decorative stitch - but the few quilts i have tried them on i have been so horribly disappointed with i would never take a picture of it- the quilts generally wind up just going to goodwill
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

  6. #6
    Super Member Peckish's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    6,354
    Blog Entries
    1
    I personally prefer to hand-stitch mine down, but I have a friend who does beautiful machine binding. She sews the binding on the front side as usual, then turns the binding to the back, tacks it down with Elmer's glue, then does a decorative stitch that looks like a snowflake on the back. It looks pretty on both sides of the quilt.

  7. #7
    Super Member Olivia's Grammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fayetteville, GA
    Posts
    2,881
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I personally prefer to hand-stitch mine down, but I have a friend who does beautiful machine binding. She sews the binding on the front side as usual, then turns the binding to the back, tacks it down with Elmer's glue, then does a decorative stitch that looks like a snowflake on the back. It looks pretty on both sides of the quilt.
    I do this do with some type of decorative stitch. Some I sew down by hand, but not baby quilts.
    We would worry less about what others think of us if we realized how seldom they do.

  8. #8
    Super Member MommaDorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sully, Iowa
    Posts
    2,506
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I personally prefer to hand-stitch mine down, but I have a friend who does beautiful machine binding. She sews the binding on the front side as usual, then turns the binding to the back, tacks it down with Elmer's glue, then does a decorative stitch that looks like a snowflake on the back. It looks pretty on both sides of the quilt.
    Sounds beautiful! Would she share a picture?
    Dorian

    If you've met one child with Autism, you've met ONE child with Autism.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    in my stash mostly
    Posts
    887
    I sew the binding on the back first, then bring it to the front, make sure the edge is just over the seam when you turn it, then I use a decorative stitch and stitch on the stitch line from the back.

  10. #10
    Super Member carolaug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Behind my sewing machine
    Posts
    7,207
    Blog Entries
    4
    I love machine binding. I sew the back first and then flip the binding to the front and use a decorative stitch. I love how they come out. I use 2 1/2 inch strips for my binding. I also use elmers stick glue and iron it to the front then sew.

  11. #11
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    31,014
    The only machine sewn binding I've been happy with is the one posted by Charismah in tutorials. I think the title is Quick machine binding with flange. If you are careful to match the thread colour to the fabric, you can hardly see it's machine sewn. I either use this method for machine binding or do traditional binding and hand sew the back.

  12. #12
    Senior Member GemState's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Northern Idaho
    Posts
    474
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have had quite good luck using Elmer's glue and pressing the binding in place..EXCEPT it seems the pressing stretches the binding just enough to sort of flare the edges of the quilt. Then I have to wash it and block it. I am still hand stitching the binding on 'good' quilts but have trying this method on some scrap lap quilts. Any suggestions?

  13. #13
    Senior Member w7sue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Aloha, Oregon
    Posts
    414
    Blog Entries
    36
    I saw a youtube video showing how to do this using those neat new clips that Clover sells - apparently there are markings on them and when you put them on "just right" you get good results - I prefer to hand sew mine down - I enjoy the hand work.

  14. #14
    Super Member moreland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Posts
    2,167
    Here is a video that explains it well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GVA05MxXTU

    It is by Jennie of Missouri Star Quilt Co.
    God Bless,
    Rachel

  15. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    South Louisiana
    Posts
    2,048
    I am never happy with my binding but all of you have given me some good hints. Thanks loads!!!!!!!!!!

  16. #16
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,247
    Quote Originally Posted by delma_paulk View Post
    I sew the binding on the back first, then bring it to the front, make sure the edge is just over the seam when you turn it, then I use a decorative stitch and stitch on the stitch line from the back.
    This is the way I do machine stitched binding. Always turns out looking nice. Stitch the binding to the back then turn to front and use a decorative stitich on top. Why hand stitch when the machine can the work.

  17. #17
    Super Member Lori S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,385
    I never had good luck till I started using a skinny strip ( 1/4 inch) of heat and bond lite to hold the binding exactly where I wanted it to be. It makes no difference if you bring the binding to the back or the front .. just make sure you cover the first stitch line by a few threads . If you are bringing it to the back , I stitch in the ditch on the front side. If you are bringing it to the front I top stitch on the right side.
    Having the binding fused in place will make a world of difference . Use a decorative stitch if you like , but I perfer not see the stitches, and often use invisable thread .
    Note : they even sell 1/4 inch wide fusible on a roll at Jo'anns.

  18. #18
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I never had good luck till I started using a skinny strip ( 1/4 inch) of heat and bond lite to hold the binding exactly where I wanted it to be. It makes no difference if you bring the binding to the back or the front .. just make sure you cover the first stitch line by a few threads . If you are bringing it to the back , I stitch in the ditch on the front side. If you are bringing it to the front I top stitch on the right side.
    Having the binding fused in place will make a world of difference . Use a decorative stitch if you like , but I perfer not see the stitches, and often use invisable thread .
    Note : they even sell 1/4 inch wide fusible on a roll at Jo'anns.
    That's a great tip!

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4
    Blog Entries
    2
    I too sew to the back first then flip to the front and I use the 3 stitch zig zag, but I have since bought a new machine and am really looking forward to using the decorative stitches....

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4
    Blog Entries
    2
    I want to be in outer space....you having fun? I also have increased my binding to 3 inches that way I have enough to go around...

  21. #21
    Senior Member humbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    976
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    i have never been happy with a machine applied *front & back* binding---mine always just (in my opinion) ruin the quilt- i don't even try anymore- i figure if i'm going to put the work into the quilt it makes no sense to ruin it by taking a short cut at the end- so i machine stitch to the front- fold to the back & hand stitch into place-
    i know there are a ton of tutorials out there showing ways to do it- & some people will use a decorative stitch - but the few quilts i have tried them on i have been so horribly disappointed with i would never take a picture of it- the quilts generally wind up just going to goodwill
    Yep, what she said!! And I totaly agree. To each his own however, but I personally enjoy that last bit of hand work.

  22. #22
    Super Member Olivia's Grammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fayetteville, GA
    Posts
    2,881
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by morngsky View Post
    I want to be in outer space....you having fun? I also have increased my binding to 3 inches that way I have enough to go around...
    I always use 3" binding and teach 3" binding too. I saw one of the published quilting instructors used 3" and thought if it was good enough for her it was good enough for me. The reason she gave was that it gives just a tiny more of a bite to hold the binding to the quilt. I have a fear of using to small of a binding and the edge raveling out. I do use a
    2 1/2" for wall hanging since they aren't washed. There have been many, many different threads on the width of binding. As with every topic we have here, it's what works for you.
    We would worry less about what others think of us if we realized how seldom they do.

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    38

    Binding Foot

    I have been using this binding foot for a couple years now. I think it does a really nice looking binding and saves a lot of time!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  24. #24
    Super Member mhansen6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    Posts
    1,855
    I always machine bind my quilts. I have gotten quite good at it. I cut my strips 3.5 inches. I like a little wider binding. Sew at the binding to the front at half an inch turn to the back and stitch in the ditch from the front. I like the fact that the binding is stitched down so it won't come loose. If you use a matching thread color you don't see it on the back. But there are no rules in quilting, you do what you feel comfortable doing.
    Marie

  25. #25
    Senior Member qwkslver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    584
    That is how I do mine too. I put too much work into a quilt to ruin it at the last minute by machine stitching the binding on the back. I look at it as my time to look over what I've done and pat myself on the back for finishing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.