Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Machine Binding

I was wondering the same thing so I am really glad you asked!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian View Post
    Sounds beautiful! Would she share a picture?
    I emailed her to ask, but she's out of state visiting family and won't be back until Tuesday. When she gets back I'll post a pic of her quilt binding. It's really pretty.

Blog Entries
    if i have put a lot of work into a quilt, then i go ahead and sew the binding onto the backing by hand. several quilts which were made with larger pieces, and not as labor intensive/$ intensive i do/have folded the binding to the front and used a zig zag stitch to sew it to the front. if you are real careful about just putting the binding on top of the sewing on the back, (i use a lot of straight pins), it turns out very nice.

I like to use 2 and 1/2 inch bias binding. Sew to the front, turn to the back and do a decorative stitch from the front.
    Works for me best.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by callen View Post
    I, too, do the binding with the flange method & I really like it. I never did have lots of problems with binding but I just prefer this method to just plain old binding.
    Another vote for the flange binding, it really adds extra snap to a quilt due to the extra pop of color.

Blog Entries
    I prefer finishing the binding by hand, but the arthritis in my hands is getting worse so will be doing it all on the machine before too long.
    Quilting in the Desert

Thank you all for those helpful hints.
    will quilt 4EVER

I usually sew mine by hand. Have tried machine sewing it down but usually looks really bad.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    That's a great tip!
    I agree. I just bought the 1/4 inch to use for zipper application, now I'll have to give this a try.

Most of my quilts are for Quilts for Kids and they do not want any hand work. I've struggled with machine binding but it is getting better with each quilt. I recently purchased a package of the Clover Wonder Clips http://youtu.be/0zqtj6xG4Sg
    and they have helped a lot. Sorry, I just shipped off my latest batch to QFK so I've nothing to photograph for you. Like others have mentioned, I use 2 1/2 inch binding, sew on the back and flip to the front and stitch down. I haven't tried a decorative stitch but may next time around.
    Pat

Blog Entries
    I guess some have trouble using the binding foot. Here is a document I found with good instructions. I'm definitely going to give it a try.

Update: I can't figure out how to attach a PDF. Is there a way?
    Dorian

If you've met one child with Autism, you've met ONE child with Autism.

I do my binding by machine. Stitch to back, flip over and use deco stitch and matching top and bottom thread. Works for me, I'm just not that picky, and I ain't entering in no quilt show.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

When I use invisible thread I use it in the top and the bobbin. I stitch the binding to the front, and turn it to the back and stitch from the back, close to the edge w/invisible thread. I also have done binding, stitching to the back and bringing it to the front and use a decorative stitch to secure it. I have an embroidery machine w/lots of stitches. I pick a stitch that compliments the quilt. I typically use this for kids quilts. I've attached a picture of a quilt for my grandson that was an outerspace theme. I used a decorative star stitch to attach the binding. And I hand stitch the binding to the back on some quilts. It depends on the quilt and who it's for.
    Dolly
    Name:  19-100_5039.JPG
Views: 180
Size:  109.7 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by newestnana View Post
    These are great hints! For those of you who use invisible thread, do you use it in the top AND the bobbin?

Unfortunately I do not have a picture as I just gave my grandson his quilt. I have done the binding by hand but I have also done it by machine. I don't prefer one over the other but if I have a large quilt or charity quilt, I use the machine. What I do is make my binding - 2.5 inches wide. Fold it in half. I start on the back of the quilt and use my 1/4 inch seam guide. So I go around the entire quilt until the back binding is finished. Then I iron the entire edge where I just put the binding - IRON IT FROM THE FRONT. Pulling the binding around to the front as I go. Then I find a decorative stitch - mine seems to be a zig zag - and I test it first to see how it will look. If it looks good, I am off and running. I would also recommend that you google Sharon Schamber who has a terrific tutorial you can watch over and over. It is called Binding the Angel. It is in 3 parts and has helped me greatly. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    I, too, do machine binding. IMHO the trick is to sew the binding onto the front, then PRESS it well, pushing the binding outward from the quilt, and using the point of the iron to push into those mitered corners. Once the pressing is done, I use those binding clips (aka hair clips) to hold the binding in place. I start in the middle of one side, and place clips down that side, around the corner and halfway down the adjacent side. I use my thumb and index fingers to get the correct 45 degree angle in the corner and put a clip on to hold it there. Then I stitch in the ditch on the front side. The reason I do only a portion of the quilt at a time is because the clips tend to fall off if you try to do the entire quilt. I started out with 2 1/2" binding as most books suggest. Once I became proficient with machine binding I cut the binding width down to 2 1/4" because I don't like the look of a wide "flap" on the edge of my binding. Here is my suggestion: make some placemats and practice on those. That way you won't feel you have ruined a quilt if your bindings aren't perfect at first. Good luck!
    Create with joy in your heart!

Blog Entries
    I have seen several posts about monofilament (invisible) thread. It is usually recommended that you use monofilament thread on the top only, NOT in the bobbin. That said, there are always exceptions to any rule, but normally it is not used top and bobbin. I use cotton, poly, or Bottom Line in my bobbin when sewing with monofilament. BTW, please do not use monofilament thread in quilts for babies or children. If they catch a finger or toe in a monofilament thread loop, it can have dire consequences. Project Linus will not accept baby quilts with monofilament thread.
    Create with joy in your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by delma_paulk View Post
    I sew the binding on the back first, then bring it to the front, make sure the edge is just over the seam when you turn it, then I use a decorative stitch and stitch on the stitch line from the back.
    Knowing they will get hard use, this is the method I use on baby quilts, kids, and teen quilts.

Actually, I machine bind most of the time. I use 2 1/4" bias strip, sew to the front, press with a 'wooden' iron, turn to the back, and machine stitch from the front (in the ditch). I pin in the top and bottom corner, stitch about 2"-3" at a time positioning as I go. With practice, you'll learn to feel when the back edge is just right. Here's a photo of a baby quilt with the corner folded to the front. Hope you can see what the binding really looks like on the back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Maybe this will help: http://quiltingtutorials.com/all/bin...ewing-machine/
    It seems I always look to the tutorials on Missouri Star Quilting Company for something.

As always, MSQC has great tuts and this is a great list of these tutorials. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by matraina View Post
    Maybe this will help: http://quiltingtutorials.com/all/bin...ewing-machine/
    It seems I always look to the tutorials on Missouri Star Quilting Company for something.

I do the same thing as carolaug!

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
    I love machine binding. I sew the back first and then flip the binding to the front and use a decorative stitch. I love how they come out. I use 2 1/2 inch strips for my binding. I also use elmers stick glue and iron it to the front then sew.
    Me, too, although I do not always do a decorative stitch, many times just a straight stitch.
    One more material Girl~

If you bind the quilt totally by machine you apply the binding to the back first and than to the front and top stitch all my quilts are done this way.
    I'm an obsessive compulsive quilter and batik aholic. I make only king size quilts.

Sorry, I sew my binding to the front, then turn to the back, turn it under and hand stitch it. Maybe someone on the board can get you a tutorial to watch, as I have seen them here on the board. Good luck.

I bought the Clover clips and just used them for my first binding and it went awesome. They don't distort the fabric like pins do so everything lays flat and it looked great. I can't show a picture because I gave the quilt to my niece at her shower last sunday. The clips were not cheap, but now I am glad I have them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast