Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Machine Binding

I consider myself a lousy hand sewer and I really hated doing bindings and I did not think they looked nice at all. This has been said many times here, but I machine sew on the back and turn to the front and machine sew with a decorative stitch. Sometimes I use a contrasting thread so it really pops out. I am going to try the idea of invisible thread sometime. I really think it makes a stronger edge to the binding to sew it down with a zig zag. I also use 3 or 3 1/2 inches for binding. I like the bolder look

Blog Entries
    To each her own, and how wonderful that we are all so different! I almost always apply binding by machine, like most others, sew on back, color match thread for both front and back, top stitch on front (just barely on binding) almost looks like stitch in the ditch.

I like "narrow" binding so I go the other way. I cut my bindings at 2 1/4".

Let's take it from the beginning. DON'T just start sewing at one end of a side and stitch to the other end. Your quilt edges will be wobbly.
    Here's how to do it, whether by hand or machine.
    I'm assuming each side will be sewn on separately, make adjustments for mitered lengths.
    1. Measure the middle of your quilt from side to side and top to bottom. Don't measure the edges
    2. So if the edge measures 86 inches, but the center measurement is 84.5 inches, cut the binding 84.5 + 2 inches extra for corner turns.
    3. Fold the binding and quilt into half and quarters and mark. Match the binding markings to the quilt markings. Yes, the quilt will have ripples because the binding length is shorter than the quilt. The excess for corners will hang off the quilt. Pin the binding to the quilt, working in the quilt's excess. It won't show when sewn on. Now stitch, using either hand or machine. It doesn't matter if you attach to the front and roll it to the back or attach to the back and roll to the front, that's personal preference. After the one edge is attached, and when it is rolled over to enclose the raw edges of the quilt, I hand sew the final edge on. Now repeat this process for the opposite edge, then do the top and bottom edges. If the quilt is slightly larger than the binding measurements, the quilt will end up square and flat--no rippled edges.
    SandyQuilter

to those who use the decorative stitch, a pic would be so awesome! Im curious how it looks on the back. Does the stitch go over the binding and the quilt? I guess it would have to wouldnt it? The only decorative stitch I have is a scalloped stitch and I use it on my bag handles. I would love to try this technique on my next quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    The only machine sewn binding I've been happy with is the one posted by Charismah in tutorials. I think the title is Quick machine binding with flange. If you are careful to match the thread colour to the fabric, you can hardly see it's machine sewn. I either use this method for machine binding or do traditional binding and hand sew the back.
    I, too, do the binding with the flange method & I really like it. I never did have lots of problems with binding but I just prefer this method to just plain old binding.
    Dance like no one is watching

I am working on this with each quilt - I found that the average 2 1/2" binding is too large, my most recent was 2 1/4" and it matched almost perfectly for machine binding. Quick finish but I do miss the handstitching part, rather calming for me.
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Quote Originally Posted by jjuhl View Post
    I have been using this binding foot for a couple years now. I think it does a really nice looking binding and saves a lot of time!
    Beautiful binding jjuhl! I will look to see if I have this foot.
    Quilting makes me happy!..

I purchased the Zip-Binding System from Martelli at 1/2 price during a sale. My BFF recommended it to me. Sadly, I have not used it yet, but I have 3 quilts ready for binding so I plan to try it out. My BFF uses it all the time and loves it. You might check it out on their website and also see the demo on You Tube.

Blog Entries
    Here is a link to a blog using decorative stitches. It looks pretty straight forward.

http://blog.ajpadilla.com/2010/10/05...along-binding/
    Dorian

If you've met one child with Autism, you've met ONE child with Autism.

Quote Originally Posted by delma_paulk View Post
    I sew the binding on the back first, then bring it to the front, make sure the edge is just over the seam when you turn it, then I use a decorative stitch and stitch on the stitch line from the back.
    This is what I have been doing for community service quilts. I know they will get a lot of rough and tumble and I feel the machine applied binding is more durable. It took several tries for me to get comfortable with the decorative stitch - I usually do a serpentine - but now I am satisfied with the finished product.

I machine bind by sewing on back then flipping to front, try to match bobbin thread with back as i usually top stitch - only time I hand bind is when I'm putting into a show....

This thread is making me wanna go bind a quilt, just to use the decorative ditch stitch!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    Sorry the picture is a little blurry but you get the idea. I used a hem stitch and same color thread to make it inconspicuous as possible. It is difficult to get it perfect. Practicing on scraps is really helpful.Name:  IMG_1425.JPG
Views: 417
Size:  266.5 KB
    Helen T.

cjr
    I machine bind all my quilts with mitered corners. I've gotten very good at it and it goes quickly.
    www.etsy.com/shop/quiltinglycaroline

Quote Originally Posted by moreland View Post
    Here is a video that explains it well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GVA05MxXTU

It is by Jennie of Missouri Star Quilt Co.
    What a great site. While I think I've mastered binding & mitered corners there were some great ideas that I loved here to make it easier.
    I also loved the links on the R side. Prob. is most of them are a foreign language that I couldn't get to translate the usual way. It's so frustrating to see patterns made that are by video but don't tell how to get the patterns.

These are great hints! For those of you who use invisible thread, do you use it in the top AND the bobbin?
    marcia

To be a good sewer, you have to be a good ripper.

WHen I bind a quilt on the machine, I sew it to the back, press and bring it forward. Then I use a decorative stitch and sew it on to the front. I usually use a loop stitch. I have been very happy with the result. It looks great.

Me, too! When I took a class a few years ago on beginning quilting, we were asked if we wanted to be shown how to do the binding by machine or by hand. Well, I didn't think I wanted to do anything by hand, so I said by machine. I still hate looking at that binding. I taught myself to do it by hand for the next quilt, and could not get over how beautiful it was! In fact, that was the best thing about that quilt. I have tried a few times since then to do one entirely by machine, because I figure I should know how, but no matter how slow and easy I take it, it still looks awful.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy View Post
    I didn't take any pictures but I can tell you thaat it NOT easy to make it look decent let alone nice. When they give instructions it sounds simple but I tried several times and I consider myself a pretty good seamstress. To me it's worth the extra time nd effort to do it by hand so that ot looks presentable. good luck
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...F0E6766589.png

In Christ alone my hope is found, He is my light, my strength, my song.

I have a question. When you cut it wider, do you use a bigger seam to sew it to the quilt? If so, how wide? If not, then is the binding not quite as full?

Quote Originally Posted by DixieLee View Post
    I consider myself a lousy hand sewer and I really hated doing bindings and I did not think they looked nice at all. This has been said many times here, but I machine sew on the back and turn to the front and machine sew with a decorative stitch. Sometimes I use a contrasting thread so it really pops out. I am going to try the idea of invisible thread sometime. I really think it makes a stronger edge to the binding to sew it down with a zig zag. I also use 3 or 3 1/2 inches for binding. I like the bolder look
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...F0E6766589.png

In Christ alone my hope is found, He is my light, my strength, my song.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
    I love machine binding. I sew the back first and then flip the binding to the front and use a decorative stitch. I love how they come out. I use 2 1/2 inch strips for my binding. I also use elmers stick glue and iron it to the front then sew.
    Would love to see a picture of this!

Yup see back first then bring it to just over the sew line and sew it down. I get to use my decorative stitches then yippee! But if pressed for time I'll just straight stitch or blanket. Even better my binder attachment. It folds etc and attached front and back at once . Unfortunate I can't hand stitch (it's lousy and my hands can't handle it. )

Quote Originally Posted by ladydukes View Post
    I purchased the Zip-Binding System from Martelli at 1/2 price during a sale. My BFF recommended it to me. Sadly, I have not used it yet, but I have 3 quilts ready for binding so I plan to try it out. My BFF uses it all the time and loves it. You might check it out on their website and also see the demo on You Tube.
    Good luck with that one. I have that system also and it does do a wonderful job when you can get is set right, but that has only happened once for me. I haven't tried it for quite some time, need to try it again.
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by jjuhl View Post
    I have been using this binding foot for a couple years now. I think it does a really nice looking binding and saves a lot of time!
    What type of machine does this foot work on? I am always looking for a new method for sewing binding. I like the way it looks. Thanks
    Mary

Machine Binding

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy View Post
    I do this do with some type of decorative stitch. Some I sew down by hand, but not baby quilts.
    This is one I did several years ago....sewed binding to back, turned it and did dec stitch on front. Hope the pics show up!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ditto! Finishing binding is one of those things that is best done by hand unless you have some kind of extra special machinery or wizardry. froggyintexas

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast