Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which machine do you use? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-do-you-use-t260553.html)

GregB 02-01-2015 03:20 PM

I use a Janome 8200. I use it for the large throat, and operation buttons are up front.

mudose8 02-01-2015 03:43 PM

I have a Pfaff 7530. Love the IDT. Use it for everything! Also have a Kenmore.

matraina 02-01-2015 03:50 PM

Jeanann, I love your new word.

ccthomas 02-01-2015 06:32 PM

I have the Janome 8900; love is a strong term. think it is just I don't have time to learn to use all the features.

tate_elliott 02-01-2015 07:13 PM

Like a lot of you, I use an old Singer. Mine is an early 1960s Singer 500 Slant-o-matic, nicknamed the Rocketeer. About six months after I got it, I started thinking the same as RugosaB did.

Originally Posted by RugosaB (Post 7070935)
So I got to thinking, I'm screwed if this old machine dies, and try to find parts to fix it, if it's even fixable. So, I started to buy 630's on ebay. I ended up paying $30 - $50 for each and have 4-5 (can't remember), for parts. Thing is, they ALL work!

I got all of mine by watching Craigslist. I now have four 500s and one 503. I bought each one because the seller said, "It doesn't work." But when I would get them home, I found that they'd either have a fist-sized lint ball under the bobbin or it was as dry as the Sahara. I'd clean them up, then oil and grease them, and they'd run like a champ. I kept buying them because I was looking for one that didn't work. Finally, my daughter pointed out that I didn't need a parts machine any longer because if the first did break, I had three others waiting to take its place.

Whenever someone is snide enough to suggest I should buy a "new, good" machine, I point out that A) this machine was top of the line when it was built, B) since it's all metal inside, if I treat it well, it'll last longer than me, and C) as it says on the owner's manual, "The Greatest Sewing Machine Ever Built!"

I also have an old-style buttonholer and monogrammer to go with it. It takes all the abuse I throw at it and keeps on sewing. What more could I want?

Tate

fktsewing 02-01-2015 08:19 PM

I ---love all of my machines--each for different reasons---Viking 500 and Mega Quilter, Featherweight, 2 Sears Kenmore--one with cams, one without, and my sisters Singer with tons of decorative stitches. I also own a Brother serger and a White embroidery machine.
I also own 4 kids sewing machines--1 Kenmore, 1 singer and 2 off brand, but I do not use those.

nstitches4u 02-01-2015 09:48 PM

I have a Babylock Destiny and I love it.

QuiltingByFiona 02-01-2015 10:23 PM

I have a Bernina, Brother and Elna. All are fine for me as I am usually just doing a straight stitch, in various lengths, with a 1/4 inch foot!

Sharonquilts 02-02-2015 01:58 AM

I have a Juki F600 and a Brother 330 (I think that's the #). The Brother I had for years and now sits in a box. The Juki is, for me, my dream machine.

qwkslver 02-02-2015 03:52 AM

I use a Brother. It was moderately priced. I imagine it will give out in a few years and I will replace it. I have not yet got into spending big bucks on my daily sewing machine. I have 2 Featherweights which are fun to play on but they wear me out if I try to use them for serious sewing. I bet the Baby lock is awesome.