Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine Help for a Beginner (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-help-beginner-t299440.html)

Austinite 09-11-2018 07:47 AM

honestly, $220 would get you a pretty nice new machine. A Walmart brother would be a good option for getting your feet wet, there are lots of models and quilters report very good luck with them. A Janome 13512 is $130 on Amazon and it's a full mechanical, good basic sewing machine. Janome 2212 is another good mechanical and it's 189. Nothing wrong with used machines but I'm wary of them after seeing various buddies get screwed on parts and computer boards.

A friend got one of these for her daughter and ended up liking it so much she bought one for herself.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...hps_bw_c_x_3_w

eimay 09-11-2018 01:48 PM

Some quilt shops sell used machines that have been traded in for higher end machines. Our local shop services them back to factory specs and sells them with a limited warrantee. That might be an option.

quiltingcandy 09-11-2018 02:08 PM

I love my Viking/Husqvarna Designer Topaz - and everyone I know that has a Viking has loved it. But one thing I have learned about machines, they are either wonderful or they are lemons - nothing on the MFG just it happens, so be sure to test it. If you plan to quilt with it - take a quilt sandwich with you to test it.

Ms Morgan 09-11-2018 03:04 PM

I just bought a new machine and I did a lot of research. Used might be good to save the money, but definitely look for reviews! And I agree, test drive it!

Ariannaquilts 09-11-2018 09:23 PM

I just wanted to say Welcome to the board and have fun!

hobbykat1955 09-12-2018 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy (Post 8125179)
I love my Viking/Husqvarna Designer Topaz - and everyone I know that has a Viking has loved it. But one thing I have learned about machines, they are either wonderful or they are lemons - nothing on the MFG just it happens, so be sure to test it. If you plan to quilt with it - take a quilt sandwich with you to test it.

Ditto on Viking...I have an SE from 2007 and I wouldn't go w/any other brand...I also have a Viking Lily from 2000. I have never had any serious problems with either other then reg cleaning via a professional yrly.

bkay 09-12-2018 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Abryantbunch (Post 8123926)
I know that is a "vintage" machine so I'm wondering if it is worth it.

First, what do you want to do with your sewing machine? Is your goal to quilt or make garments or do basic repairs to clothing, make drapery or "whatever"? to me, that's the first step in choosing an inexpensive machine. For most of these applications, you need a straight stitch and, at the most, a zigzag stitch. These days, most people who make clothing have a serger as well. That will "overcast" the seams to make them more "finished", although I made lots of clothing before everyday people had sergers. So, my suggestion is to figure out what you want a sewing machine to do.

Vintage sewing machines fall into two categories - mechanical and electronic. Electronics have a "life expectancy", for lack of a better term. Electronics die with age. they just do. They go faster if they are not kept cool and dry. After a few years, many electronic parts are no longer available/replaceable. The defective part is generally not repairable at a price you are willing to pay.

Mechanical machines go back to the 1800's and most can still sew a stitch. All metal mechanical machines were made until about 1970. They are abundant, cheap, work well and generally don't require a $150.00 trip to the sewing machine repair guy. They are available on Craigslist, Ebay, OfferUp, etc. You can find an old black Singer that only does straight stitch for $100. and they will last forever. All you have to do is oil them. They might require some internal cleaning, which is no problem for the average person who knows which end of a screwdriver to use. It will take a few hours. The colored Singers usually have some capacity to make decorative stitches (zig zag variations). My personal favorites are the Singer 401, 403, 501 and 503. If you have a choice, take the 403 or 503 as they are easier to clean internally. The only reason I suggest Singer is that they are common (millions were sold) and replacement parts and accessories are readily available at a reasonable price.

Just in case you take my advice and look at some older vintage machines, stay away from Singer (all machines, not just Singer) machines that were made after about 1965. Many have internal plastic parts that shatter with age.

I have other caveats, but this is already too long. If you have questions, post it on the vintage sewing machine group on this board. The regular posters there have vast experience with vintage machines of all types. They are happy to share their knowledge with everyone.

bkay