Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   machine quilting with decorative stitches (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-quilting-decorative-stitches-t40551.html)

Gramof6 03-24-2010 04:44 PM

Kasmitty your stitching looks fabulous! Don't you just love Superior thread? Thanks to you, now I will go raid DH's LA thread. LOL

I do have a stupid question: When using decorative stitching on your machines, how do you lock the stitches in at the end? I have a Bernina but have never used any of these decorative stitches. If I can learn how to lock in the stitches, that will sure change thanks to this topic!

kasmitty1 03-24-2010 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Gramof6
Kasmitty your stitching looks fabulous! Don't you just love Superior thread? Thanks to you, now I will go raid DH's LA thread. LOL

I do have a stupid question: When using decorative stitching on your machines, how do you lock the stitches in at the end? I have a Bernina but have never used any of these decorative stitches. If I can learn how to lock in the stitches, that will sure change thanks to this topic!

Not a stupid question. I'd like to know that, too. I back-stitched once, then trimmed close. I know there's a better way. But I was just playing around. I'd love to know the right way.

lots2do 03-24-2010 04:57 PM

Kasmitty- thanks!

Gramof6 03-24-2010 05:51 PM

Thanks Kasmitty. Maybe someone will jump in here with an answer. Until then I will do as you did.

KR I love the Birthday Card. Very nice!

LindaM 03-24-2010 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've done exactly this for a number of my quilts - rather than use 'stitch in the ditch' or free motion quilting, use the decorative stitches.

I use the walking foot so the layers feed evenly. My Janome has a locking stitch (or you can take a couple of stitches with zero stitch length).

The photo here shows a bit of the stitching on a wall quilt (a monochrome quilt for guild challenge)

Cheers,
Linda

Cinammon Sticks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29258[/ATTACH]

Gramof6 03-24-2010 06:52 PM

Thank You Linda. I love your wall hanging. The stitching looks so nice!

JanetM 03-24-2010 07:48 PM

I'll second that Linda. Your wall quilt is gorgeous. I love the fabrics you chose and the stitching really serves two purposes: it quilts it, and beautifully embellishes it as well. :-)

LindaM 03-24-2010 08:12 PM

Thanks JanetM & Gramof6 :)

Something that I did from a recommendation of our local sewing machine vendor - a 'stitch map' - make up a little quilt sandwich and do a sample line of every stitch that your machine will do.

It's amazing how different the stitches look with the thread vs the little icon on the book ... I have it close by so I know exactly which stitch I want. Sounds a bit silly, but it really works well for me :)

Changing the stitch lengths/widths and even thread types (or needles!) can also make a huge difference in the look of your stitches.

quiltykim 03-25-2010 02:59 AM

That is stunning!

MaxineB 03-25-2010 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by LindaM
Thanks JanetM & Gramof6 :)

Something that I did from a recommendation of our local sewing machine vendor - a 'stitch map' - make up a little quilt sandwich and do a sample line of every stitch that your machine will do.

It's amazing how different the stitches look with the thread vs the little icon on the book ... I have it close by so I know exactly which stitch I want. Sounds a bit silly, but it really works well for me :)

This is a great idea. Not all decorative stitches will look good on a project. I think we forget the purpose of quilting. It is to permanently hold the three pieces together. How this is done is limited only by our imagination.
Changing the stitch lengths/widths and even thread types (or needles!) can also make a huge difference in the look of your stitches.