Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   machine quilting with decorative stitches (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-quilting-decorative-stitches-t40551.html)

Sewing Grandma 03-25-2010 05:34 AM

I MADE MY DAUGHTER A JUNGLE PRINT CRAZY QUILT AS YOU GO QUILT AND USED THE FANCY STITCHES ON MY MACHINE. I USED METALLIC THREAD AND IT TURNED OUT WONDERFUL. EACH BLOCK HAD ABOUT 7 DIFFERENT STITCHES. IT WAS A GREAT WAY TO LEARN THE STITCHES AND WHAT THEY LOOKED LIKE WHEN YOU INCREASED THE WIDTH AND LENGTH.

fabric=fun 03-25-2010 05:41 AM

I agree with all that's been said. My machine dealer likes to remind us frequently that 'you paid for all those stitches, its a good idea to try them and use them.'

I do use them for quilting through all layers. Recently through the top and batting on part of the wall hanging with the more closed and complex stitches and then more simple ones through all layers for the rest to complete the quilting part.

I also have sample strips of the decorative stitches - it really inspires you to use them more often and they are so much more appealing than the line drawing you see on the stitch guide.

dosnanas 03-25-2010 05:52 AM

Newbie here, but I'm going to add my amateur experience. I have used the decorative stitches for crazy patch baby quilts made of flannel using foundation piecing. Stitched over the seams with varigated thread. The blocks were then joinded, batting, backing, etc. I used the regular foot and anchored the stitches at beginning and end at 0 setting.

JoyjoyMarie 03-25-2010 05:58 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Last year when I got my Janome6600 I was playing around with some little quilts, and I used the decorative stitches on several quilts, and was very pleased with the results, even though they were not "quilt show quality". (I was improvising, and didn't always turn corners well, or have everything even, but the end results are fine if you blur your eyes :-) I'll attach some photos to show the results. I don't have a closeup of the last one, but I used the forget me not stitch around the Irish Chain, and it ends up looking like lace from a distance.

Split rail before decorative stitches-BORING
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29844[/ATTACH]

Split rail after decorative stitches in red and gold
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29845[/ATTACH]

forget me nots with spring leaves
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29846[/ATTACH]

Irish Chain with scrappy roses for Jade Rose
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29989[/ATTACH]

kasmitty1 03-25-2010 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by JoyjoyMarie
Last year when I got my Janome6600 I was playing around with some little quilts, and I used the decorative stitches on several quilts, and was very pleased with the results, even though they were not "quilt show quality". (I was improvising, and didn't always turn corners well, or have everything even, but the end results are fine if you blur your eyes :-) I'll attach some photos to show the results. I don't have a closeup of the last one, but I used the forget me not stitch around the Irish Chain, and it ends up looking like lace from a distance.

Your quilts are beautiful! Big sigh.... so many stitches, so little time. I'm need to start thinking outside the box a little with my 6600.

Oklahoma Suzie 03-25-2010 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by kasmitty1
It's so funny you asked that. I just did a little playing around with some of my "fancy stitches". I also LOVE multi-colored thread, though it is pricey. But when you use it on contrasting colors, and use the decorative stitch, I think it looks cool.

Love it, I will have to try that.

sewmom 03-25-2010 07:07 AM

has anyone ever quilted using a double needle. on the baby quilt that i'm making right now, i sewed 2 wavy lines down a sashing. unfortunately, they were not as nice as i would like. doesn't the twin needle make a zizzag on the back? (if i had tried a sample, i could answer my own question, but i was wondering if anyone had ever used this technique?

bstanbro 03-25-2010 07:09 AM

I have used a little round star-looking stitch for tieing my quilts.

Dotty 03-25-2010 08:23 AM

All my quilts are made with embroidery, not just the fancy stitches, but different themes. I have never made a quilt with just fabric to make the design. I also made a jacket (with a sweatshirt as the base) that was crazy quilt, no theme, just fancy stitches meandering all over. If the batteries in my camera are OK, I'll try and send pictures. All others have been given as gifts
Dotty in NH formally from Largo Fl.

Ramona Byrd 03-25-2010 08:33 AM

I'm trying to visualize what the back of the quilt would look like. That's a great question!!
=====================================
I love Crazy Quilting, but did find out early that I had to match the
color of the bobbin with the quilt backing. With the top colors, I usually
stitch in one place at beginning and end of the line, then lift the needle and
go to the next line where I wanted that color. When I was finished with that
color, I can change the top color, clip off the unwanted strings, then start
again. With each color change I can change the stitch width and shape, it
almost looks like I had done it by hand over a long time!