Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine quilting....start in the middle? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-quilting-start-middle-t137443.html)

KimS 07-13-2011 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom

Originally Posted by KimS

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
Sharon Schamber says if you baste the quilt her way it doesn't matter where you start...

So how does she say to baste?

yeah. Wondering that too. Didn't find anything on a search.

DUH! Never mind ... I was spelling "basting" wrong!! Yeah - had Schambers right - basting was wrong!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA

HAHAHA!!! Glad I'm not the only one who can't spell. Thanks for the link. :-)

LivelyLady 07-13-2011 06:17 PM

I start in the middle unless I have block or seams where I can stitch in the ditch in which case after I SID I take out all the pins which lightens the quilt and enables me to do the fancy FMQ in blocks or sections.

Maureen 07-13-2011 06:18 PM

I always was told to start in the middle

SparkMonkey 07-13-2011 06:20 PM

Sharon Schamber says if you baste the quilt her way it doesn't matter where you start...

DUH! Never mind ... I was spelling "basting" wrong!! Yeah - had Schambers right - basting was wrong!

You know, I tried her method on my last quilt and I hated it so hard. Every time I tried to shift the quilt in my lap my fingers got caught in those huge strands and I'd yank it all out of whack. I spent more time swearing at it than I spent stitching it. I picked the whole freaking thing out the next day and re-basted the way I usually do (flat on the floor, starting at the middle, 6-inch grid with inch-long running stitches). My way may be overkill and it takes longer, but I can turn and pull and snap it like a towel and there is no fear that it'll shift.

I did use her tip to starch the backing and I'll continue doing that in the future, but I didn't like her basting method one little bit. I mean it just plain made me mad. :P

virtualbernie 07-13-2011 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by SparkMonkey

You know, I tried her method on my last quilt and I hated it so hard. Every time I tried to shift the quilt in my lap my fingers got caught in those huge strands and I'd yank it all out of whack. I spent more time swearing at it than I spent stitching it. I picked the whole freaking thing out the next day and re-basted the way I usually do (flat on the floor, starting at the middle, 6-inch grid with inch-long running stitches). My way may be overkill and it takes longer, but I can turn and pull and snap it like a towel and there is no fear that it'll shift.

I did use her tip to starch the backing and I'll continue doing that in the future, but I didn't like her basting method one little bit. I mean it just plain made me mad. :P

I think it's what you get used to. I've tried other people's methods for doing things that looked a lot easier than what I was doing but I had been doing my method so long it wouldn't work. I think it has a lot to do with muscle memory. I won't even begin to talk about fmq that I've been trying for years to do... :cry: I will admit that I found the longer the boards you use the harder it was for me.

KimS 07-13-2011 06:29 PM

I certainly wasn't blessed with patience so maybe I'd better just stick to spray adhesive and pins. Thank you for keeping me from having a screaming fit. LOL!!

SparkMonkey 07-13-2011 06:30 PM

I think it's what you get used to. I've tried other people's methods for doing things that looked a lot easier than what I was doing but I had been doing my method so long it wouldn't work. I think it has a lot to do with muscle memory. I won't even begin to talk about fmq that I've been trying for years to do... :cry: I will admit that I found the longer the boards you use the harder it was for me.

I'm sure that's all it is. I'm still learning, but also I'm really stubborn about not fixing what ain't broke. I'll try other methods, but I won't try too hard. ;) It's the same way with knitting... I don't care if picking is faster than throwing, I don't like it and I don't want to get better at it. Excellent attitude, I know, but oh well. :roll:

virtualbernie 07-13-2011 06:34 PM

I'm sure that's all it is. I'm still learning, but also I'm really stubborn about not fixing what ain't broke. I'll try other methods, but I won't try too hard. ;) It's the same way with knitting... I don't care if picking is faster than throwing, I don't like it and I don't want to get better at it. Excellent attitude, I know, but oh well. :roll:

I'm a thrower too! Can't make myself do it any other way! ;)

DogHouseMom 07-13-2011 06:38 PM

It's the same way with knitting... I don't care if picking is faster than throwing, I don't like it and I don't want to get better at it. Excellent attitude, I know, but oh well. :roll:

I'm a thrower too! Can't make myself do it any other way! ;)[/quote]

Ok - I'm a knitter ... what's picking and throwing? I have NO idea which one I am.

Speaking of new methods, once I found that video it led to a few others (you know how that goes) and I found her "magic triangle" method. My one and only quilting friend who live at the other end of a neighboring state tried to explain it to me once OVER THE PHONE and it went clear over my head. now that I see it, I get it. Not sure I like the method as it seems to take lots of time and there is lots of waste as well. But it sure was nice to see it.

virtualbernie 07-13-2011 06:50 PM

It's the same way with knitting... I don't care if picking is faster than throwing, I don't like it and I don't want to get better at it. Excellent attitude, I know, but oh well. :roll:

I'm a thrower too! Can't make myself do it any other way! ;)

Ok - I'm a knitter ... what's picking and throwing? I have NO idea which one I am.

Speaking of new methods, once I found that video it led to a few others (you know how that goes) and I found her "magic triangle" method. My one and only quilting friend who live at the other end of a neighboring state tried to explain it to me once OVER THE PHONE and it went clear over my head. now that I see it, I get it. Not sure I like the method as it seems to take lots of time and there is lots of waste as well. But it sure was nice to see it.[/quote]

It's the method you use to wrap the yarn around the needle to make the stitch. Some people can knit with the yarn wrapped around their left finger and use the needle to pick up the yarn and put it over. I think it's called the Continental style? It's faster. I have to use my right hand to physically wrap the yarn around--thus throwing. I think once you learn one way it's not easy to do it differently.