Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine quilting....start in the middle? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-quilting-start-middle-t137443.html)

kidmenot43 07-13-2011 07:04 PM

I am wondering if the standard practice of quilt from the center out also applies to quilt as you go method? Any input?

Kas 07-13-2011 07:46 PM

I try to quilt evenly over the surface. So if there is one motif repeated over the quilt, I will do all of those, then move on to the next motif. That way it is secured all the way around and less likely to pucker.

jaciqltznok 07-13-2011 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by SparkMonkey
You know, I tried her method on my last quilt and I hated it so hard. Every time I tried to shift the quilt in my lap my fingers got caught in those huge strands and I'd yank it all out of whack. I spent more time swearing at it than I spent stitching it. I picked the whole freaking thing out the next day and re-basted the way I usually do (flat on the floor, starting at the middle, 6-inch grid with inch-long running stitches). My way may be overkill and it takes longer, but I can turn and pull and snap it like a towel and there is no fear that it'll shift.

I did use her tip to starch the backing and I'll continue doing that in the future, but I didn't like her basting method one little bit. I mean it just plain made me mad. :P

THANK YOU>....I did not like it either...now I pay a longarmer to baste it for me....I bring my own poly thread(stronger for basting) and it costs me $10 for a queen...I LOVE it...
Then you can hand, machine, FM..anything you want...

jitkaau 07-14-2011 02:41 AM

I always go right around the outside first and then work my way in.No puckers,flat,stable quilt results except when I put a bit of trapunto in them.

sugarloaf 07-14-2011 03:57 AM

I start in the middle.I roll the quilt up to center of the quilt and quilt it with the walking foot.I made 11 that way on a reguler sewing machine.

clhr 07-14-2011 05:57 AM

I started as a sewer & crocheter with my grandmother so I could hand stitch with her but not piecing now I know why I wasn't that picky on my stitching if I could do it fast on the treadle. She did not knit so when I started knitting I had trouble throwing so I quit then I saw someone on TV doing it like you hold the crochet thread I tried that. I still do it that way. Also I am going to try doing my own quilting on the machine I have only done small wall hangings & twin size but I pin also. not sure I like her method. But I might try it on a small one first. Thank you for all the good info.

nativetexan 07-14-2011 06:16 AM

hmmm, i never start in the middle. some do though.

Joan 07-14-2011 06:17 AM

Thanks for posting, I always wondered, too! :mrgreen:

Maggiemay 07-14-2011 06:26 AM

I spray baste, use some pins & start in the middle OR do it in sections- I usually divide the quilt into quarters & do a section at a time, still starting in the middle. When I am done machine quilting I re-pin the borders, quilt then bind.

shrabar 07-14-2011 06:35 AM

Kim where in southeast mo do you live ? I do machine quilting & live in Cape area, Shirley