Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-quilting-t305710.html)

TAMARATJO 07-11-2019 06:39 AM

I quilt all of my quilts on my DSM. Often using my embroidery attachment. Not always easy, but I have quilted several queen sized quilts. I too, like to complete the whole quilt myself. If I ever complete a "masterpiece" quilt, I may consider sending it out to a long armer, but cost is prohibitive.

joe'smom 07-11-2019 06:50 AM

I also want to finish a quilt myself, but can't really say if I would feel that strongly about it if I had the money to send my quilts out, LOL. So far I have finished my quilts on my HQ Sweet 16 sitdown machine, but am planning to have a try at walking foot quilting on my very old, no frills DSM.

Cattitude 07-11-2019 06:58 AM

I quilt my own on my DSM. It is quite expensive to go to a long armer and the wait is often 4-6wks. I invested in a good machine with an 11” throat. I figured that if I quilted at least 15 it would be paid off in terms of what it would have cost to have it done for me. I have just passed that number and much to my surprise I now love the machine quilting part of the process and I wouldn’t send my quilts out even if I could afford it. It gives me a lot of satisfaction when gifting a quilt to know I created it from start to finish.....even if the end result is far from perfect.

Watson 07-11-2019 07:02 AM

I have always quilted all my own quilts except one....it was queen size and I really didn't care for how it turned out and I knew I would never get it quilted so I had it long armed.

Watson

ekuw 07-11-2019 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 8275758)
I quilt my own quilts on my DSM. I have never sent one out to a longarmer.

Ditto :) Too expensive!

osewme 07-11-2019 08:30 AM

I've never sent a quilt out to be quilted on a long arm. I always quilt my own on my domestic sewing machine.

juliasb 07-11-2019 08:54 AM

I thought I was pretty much alone on not sending them out. Most of the time I am pretty satisfied with how my quilts come out. I do my best to quilt free hand and sometimes it is not so evenly done but the person getting the quilt is none the wiser and they are always received with love. I think I would send one out if I thought it would be a show quilt and I wanted something to present at a show.

Stitchnripper 07-11-2019 09:13 AM

I taught myself to FMQ which is no prizewinner, but, I am happy with the results. I don't really like stitching in the ditch or straight line quilting although some of my quilts call for it. I've never sent one out. I use a Brother PQ1500 and have recently done a generous queen size and it was fine.

meyert 07-11-2019 10:09 AM

sending out is expensive, but it the quilt is going to be a gift or a donation I have sent them out. But most of mine are quilted on my home machine

hobbykat1955 07-11-2019 10:27 AM

I've only had 2 done by Long Arm out...some I do SID and some I quilt w/my embroidery machine...