Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Machine quilting

Blog Entries

Machine quilting

Curious Question? Do most folks without your own long arm send your quilts out for longarm quilting or do you do you quilting yourself?

I do my own. Either hand quilt or QAYG.

Blog Entries
    I quilt my own quilts on my DSM. I have never sent one out to a longarmer.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Myself. I just want to finish the project completely on my own.

I quilt it myself. It gives me satisfaction of doing all of it myself. Besides if it doesn't turn out right then I know I need to do better.

Can't afford to send out and I don't have the access to my friend's long arm that I once did. While in some areas the $100 I'm willing to pay may get a top completed, it won't get me much around here and I know I would charge more than that myself! My favorite part of the process is piecing and I've always had completed tops that weren't yet completed quilts but it is starting to stack up. I've gotten better with my quilting but it is a major stumbling block for me in terms of design, I just don't think in those ways and I really admire those that do.

I have a better/modern/deep throat sewing machine now than my old vintage workhorse and can do up to twin sized ok. I could do queen I suppose but it's hard on my physically and the only place I have to layout or sandwich the quilt top is my queen sized bed.

I'm going to be putting an ad in Craig's List looking to share a home quilter's set-up, maybe a couple days a month for a year or so. Of course I would pay for all my materials and I am willing to contribute towards the upkeep of the machine (ie, I am willing to pay) but I'm hoping for a mutually beneficial solution, like maybe someone travels a lot and I can house sit while I quilt. I don't have the space in my small house for a set up, even if I had the funds

There are any number of people who have bought them and don't use them as much as they thought they would, or found they didn't like the business aspects. I know some of you love to quilt and don't like to piece so much... if I just found someone who would quilt down my donation tops they could donate them to whoever they pleased. Sigh, wouldn't it be lovely to find my BFF quilting partner? A girl can dream!

BTW, one kind person on the boards offered to help me baste my tops together, thank you again -- that was so kind!

There is one machine in the general area for rent that I know about. You do have to take a class first, don't mind that. But sometimes my health isn't as good as other days and I need to be a little more flexible. I can't necessarily make a day long appointment in advance and actually be up to it on that day.

Depends on the size, if its big it goes to the long armer (which incidently happens to be my DD) and the small ones like lap size I do myself.

I also quilt all my quilts myself. It was very important to me that I made the entire quilt. I self taught myself on my domestic machine. That worked unless the quilt was larger than a baby quilt. I bought a Sit Down Janome Artistic and have not regretted that decision. Free motion was quite the learning curve. I heard somewhere that to learn this techinique, one must practice. And so the practice began and continues! Every quilted item was a practice piece and actually, it still is! Most folks are so grateful to receive a quilted gift, the stitching is never questioned. And once the quilt is washed and dried, and it has that wonderful crumply antique look to it, the stitching is just part of the quilt, and I start another one and practice some more!

I quilt all my quilts on my DSM. Some larger quilts I do QAG.
    Molly O

I send most quilts to the LQS for quilting. The lady does a great job with pattern selection and thread color. I will do some smaller projects on the EMB machine or SITD using the walking foot. I don't enjoy the process of twisting and folding the quilt to get it through the machine. Even with the 11 inch throat it is not fun.

I am having fun finishing small projects using quilting or stippling designs in the EMB machine.

I quilt all of my quilts on my DSM. Often using my embroidery attachment. Not always easy, but I have quilted several queen sized quilts. I too, like to complete the whole quilt myself. If I ever complete a "masterpiece" quilt, I may consider sending it out to a long armer, but cost is prohibitive.

I also want to finish a quilt myself, but can't really say if I would feel that strongly about it if I had the money to send my quilts out, LOL. So far I have finished my quilts on my HQ Sweet 16 sitdown machine, but am planning to have a try at walking foot quilting on my very old, no frills DSM.
    Lisa

I quilt my own on my DSM. It is quite expensive to go to a long armer and the wait is often 4-6wks. I invested in a good machine with an 11” throat. I figured that if I quilted at least 15 it would be paid off in terms of what it would have cost to have it done for me. I have just passed that number and much to my surprise I now love the machine quilting part of the process and I wouldn’t send my quilts out even if I could afford it. It gives me a lot of satisfaction when gifting a quilt to know I created it from start to finish.....even if the end result is far from perfect.

I have always quilted all my own quilts except one....it was queen size and I really didn't care for how it turned out and I knew I would never get it quilted so I had it long armed.

Watson

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    I quilt my own quilts on my DSM. I have never sent one out to a longarmer.
    Ditto Too expensive!

I've never sent a quilt out to be quilted on a long arm. I always quilt my own on my domestic sewing machine.

Blog Entries
    I thought I was pretty much alone on not sending them out. Most of the time I am pretty satisfied with how my quilts come out. I do my best to quilt free hand and sometimes it is not so evenly done but the person getting the quilt is none the wiser and they are always received with love. I think I would send one out if I thought it would be a show quilt and I wanted something to present at a show.

I taught myself to FMQ which is no prizewinner, but, I am happy with the results. I don't really like stitching in the ditch or straight line quilting although some of my quilts call for it. I've never sent one out. I use a Brother PQ1500 and have recently done a generous queen size and it was fine.
    Alyce

sending out is expensive, but it the quilt is going to be a gift or a donation I have sent them out. But most of mine are quilted on my home machine

I've only had 2 done by Long Arm out...some I do SID and some I quilt w/my embroidery machine...

Blog Entries
    Me too! Nice to do in the evening.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I quilt all mine- to me that part’s the most fun!

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    I also quilt my own.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

I always quilt my quilts. The ones I quilt and make for my double quilt I make them larger. Not an expert but I take pride in saying I made it all.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I quilt my own quilts on my HQ16. I can do up to a queen size, but wish I had upgraded to a bigger table. My king size will have to be sent out.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast