Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Machine quilting

I'm very new to machine quilting. Have only done a couple so far. I just finished a king size on my DSM. It was quite a struggle and I have the tendonitis in my elbow to show for it. I was on a time crunch so really didn't have much choice.

That said, I'm also in the process of completing quilts for a recently deceased friend. Those went to a longarmer (her SIL). I just picked up 3 of the 4 she's doing. She did a great job and I was quite impressed that the cost was not as horrible as I expected especially since she provided the batting for one of them. She did a great job.

I don't envision myself sending my own quilts out to be longarmed but if I did, I know where I'll be going!

I used to SITD on my trusty little DSM, but I am old, ... very old, so most of mine are tied now. Most of my quilts are donations and are strictly utilitarian. No wall hangings and certainly no prize winners!

For me itís a combination. I have already quilted a king sized on my DSM. And Iíve sent out a intricate pp unicorn wall hanging to a LA. If I want stitch-in-the-ditch or simple straight lines, Iíll quilt it myself. If I want more pizazz, I send it to a very creative long-armer. For me, itís too hard to do smooth curves etc on a large quilt on my sewing machine.
    Deb
    (If you are going to be a bear, you may as well be a grizzly.)

I quilt my own as well on my DSM. Even though my quilting skills aren't great, it's the part I enjoy the most. So far, most of my quilts have been donation quilts, 2 baby quilts and 1 Bargello that I'm still working on for me. I am amazed at what LA's can do but I want to complete my quilts myself ... besides, that's the only way I'm going to learn and improve.

For me it depends on the quilt and who it is going to and the size. I guess, I am of an age that I don't want to wrangle a big quilt around any longer. Large quilts go to the LA. I do a lot of twin/throw quilts and if straight line (crosshatch) works, I do that. I also have discovered wavy quilting which is fast and on some quilts blend in beautifully. I love FM but my new machine does not. Grrrr that is why I bought the machine.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-12-2019 at 02:43 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

I do both, depending on the style and size of the quilt. I just finished a queen sized quilt by quilting it in sections using Marti Michell's directions in a book with that name. I wanted to quilt each block individually depending on the design (there were 144 6" blocks). But I just took a full sized quilt to a friend to long arm because I wanted an all-over pattern. Sometimes I supplement long arm quilting with hand quilting. Mostly, I try to do smaller things myself using my walking foot as my FMQ is pretty shaky.

I do my own, mainly just meandering, occasionally qayg.

I send out large quilts and the women who does mine is very reasonable and does a great job. With shipping I never pay more than around 130. I think that's a great deal. She also provides the batting.
    I was a handquilter and still am but am learning FMQ so I still do most of my own but last year I made a King for our bed and I was not about to tackle that one.

Blog Entries
    I hand quilt some, quilt up through lap quilts on my DSM, larger ones go to LAQ. If I was 10 or 15 years younger I would probably invest in a LA. I suspect it would turn into a business and it would take away my lovely hobby!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I have sent some of my quilts to a longarmer but the majority I FMQ myself, even quilt/king size. The feeling I get from doing a quilt totally myself is so worth it. To me the hard part is getting it sandwiched together, but I pretty much have that conquered now also. It's not for everyone but it works for me. Do what works for you.

I quilt all my own on my DSM. Cannot afford to send out to a LA and besides what I save in not having that expense, I can use to buy more fabric. LOL. I quilted 1 queen-sized quilt and the rest have been either full or lab sized. Most of the quilts I make are for donation so they are usually baby/child or lap. Recently I have begun to quilt a friend’s quilts in addition to my own. I mentor her as she is just starting out in the quilting adventure. Most of the quilting has been meandering, stippling or SITD.

for many years, I hand quilted...so I had to really plan in advance for quilt gifts. Then, I was able to get a Brother PS1500 on a grace frame and that worked wonderfully for 9 years. That allowed me to increase the gifts I could make and start doing more charity quilts (Project Linus). That set-up worked great for my needs and I'd still be using it now, except........I saw the Innova quilting machine on a frame and fell in love with it. Hmmmmm, luckily my husband decided to get it for me and now I am in a quilting wonderland. I love it! I do not quilt for money. I quilt for gifts and charity quilts for Project Linus and Quilts of Valor. I figured I could increase my "production" and the money saved by paying to get it quilted would "even" itself out after several years and many quilts. I don't regret spending the money...Now I regret that I'm getting older and may not finish all the quilts I want to make (and those I don't even know about yet)! But, it's our passion...so it's good to feed that passion and share our gifts whenever we can!

I have always quilted my own quilts, at first by hand, now on my domestic sewing machine. I love to say I did this myself.

if they are 40" or less I do them myself, beyond that I send them out. I don't buy fabric, haven't for years, so I feel no guilt or penny pinching about paying to get my tops done.

That said I do mine double sided, so in effect am getting 2 quilts done for the price of one.
    I don't enjoy machine quilting, and love piecing tops, quilting is my happy place, why make myself sad?

I enjoy quilting my own quilts with free-motion quilting. The size I usually stick to is baby or throw size quilts. I am trying a quilt as you go style quilt for the first time right now where you quilt a block at a time and join with sash strips on the front and back. I have only sent 1 quilt to be long armed. The quilt was a queen size and I had not yet learned how to quilt the layers so I sent it out to be custom quilted.

Blog Entries
    I belong to a guild, and so many of the women have back, neck and shoulder problems from quilting on the DSMs that I send mine out to a LAer. Life is difficult enough without creating physical problems for myself. I worked all my life and don't smoke, have an occasional adult drink, don't gamble, and so I figure the luxury of a LAer is worth it. Besides, how much would some of the surgeries, chiropractors, and so on add up to over the long haul. To be completely honest, I like the piecing, but the quilting of big things, not so much.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    I've always quilted my own quilts on my regular sewing machine. I used to do mostly stippling, but I have branched out into a little more special designs. It is really difficult managing a large quilt, but it is all my own work. It is my least favorite part of the process, which is why I have a large collection of tops sitting around!

Leslie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2