Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   machingers gloves or not? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machingers-gloves-not-t103543.html)

Kat Sews 02-27-2011 11:08 AM

I use gardening gloves with little dots on them from the dollar tree. This would be a cheap way to see if they are going to help without spending much money.

Mary M 02-27-2011 11:09 AM

I have and the F&P quilting gloves and they really help me move the fabrc a whole lot better.

seabolt22 02-27-2011 11:11 AM

I use the gloves, really make a difference, got them at Hobby Lobby at a very good price.

Stitchnripper 02-27-2011 11:27 AM

I tried garden gloves and Fons and Porter gloves. I like the machingers the best. Personal preference I guess. Also have a supreme slider. I thought I loved it, then, forgot to put it on the machine and didn't notice a difference, so I stopped using it.

aorlflood 02-27-2011 11:28 AM

I tried using gardening gloves with the dots on the fingertips, but was never happy with the way they worked. So I bought a pair of machingers and love them! They work really well to help hold the fabric.

I have one of those halos and don't like it at all.

thepolyparrot 02-27-2011 12:15 PM

I usually use snug fitting rubber-coated spandex utility gloves that have the thumbs and forefingers cut out, but I bought some Machingers and I think they're just as good. I had a pair of the F&P gloves and they were okay, but not big enough for me. Anything to give you some traction on the quilt. :) I do think the F&P kind provide the least traction, but I could be wrong because I only used them a few times for short periods.

The quilt halo is worse than useless - it's painful to use and it gets in your way. It forces your hands into a constant gripping/pinching position and you have to keep picking it up and moving it.

There is another tool that's based on the same idea - two squares with rubber grips on the bottom. You can use either square or both of them together. There is an opening at the back, so you don't have to cut your thread to remove the frame, but it's still in your way - you have to keep picking it up and moving it.

The gloves work much better - provided that they're snug-fitting and don't shift around on your hands.

Kitsie 02-27-2011 12:50 PM

Go get Atlas gardening gloves! So much cheaper and no aching arthritic hands

grammy17 02-27-2011 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady
I have to use gloves. I have the ones from Fons & Porter, but also have a pair of cheap garden gloves with the nubs on the underneath which work as well as the expensive ones. It makes a world of difference :D :D

Saw Garden gloves yesterday at Dollar Tree. Looked every bit as good as my Fons & Porter ones.

gale 02-27-2011 01:05 PM

I have the F&P gloves but I cut off the tips of the index finger and thumb. I don't like having to take them off to pick up pins or whatever and can't do it well with the gloves on. I love it with the tips cut off.

katyquilter 02-27-2011 01:06 PM

My daughter recently got a new babylock (actually it was used) and she went home with both my slider and Fons and Porter quilting gloves. They both seem to make things easier for her.