Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: machingers gloves or not?

I use my regular sewing machine to stich in the ditch and other straight line quilting. However, when I have tried to FMQ on my machine it seems there is so much drag. I wondered if those gloves by Fons & Porter or machingers would make it better.

What about the "halo" thingies I see in the catalogs?

I have the Supreme Slider and feel a little disappointed with that. $30 bucks for that thing!!!

Chris

Blog Entries
    I use the machingers gloves and they work well. I got mine at jhittle for a discount.

I use the machingers gloves when I FMQ. My hands do not get so tired. Don't think they help with drag, though.

Super Member HummerGardenCrafts's Avatar
    I have the gloves, but I've never used them yet. I've never machine quilted. I did attempt it at one time though.

I do the following just prior to quilting a top...

Wax my wood table and sewing machine with Johnson's paste wax. Push my table up against the wall in a corner so the fabric doesn't fall off the edge of the table. Change my needle. Starch the backing fabric.

Yes, I use the gloves.

Happy Quilting!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltin chris
    I use my regular sewing machine to stich in the ditch and other straight line quilting. However, when I have tried to FMQ on my machine it seems there is so much drag. I wondered if those gloves by Fons & Porter or machingers would make it better.

I have the Supreme Slider and feel a little disappointed with that. $30 bucks for that thing!!!

Chris
    Is your machine recessed into a table? The slider isn't going to do much for you if it's not recessed and you have a flat surface to work with.

I have to use gloves. I have the ones from Fons & Porter, but also have a pair of cheap garden gloves with the nubs on the underneath which work as well as the expensive ones. It makes a world of difference :D :D

Yes, I used the machingers gloves to quilt two recent projects. I thought they were great!

I use my gloves when I am sewing the top together. they are almost like having another hand. I was told by a quilt teacher not to use them and go by feel...but I have the security of the top not slipping when I have them on. I've worn holes in 3 the fingertips of 3 pairs. =)

I use gloves..I got mine from the garden section at the hardware store..they work fine. I cut the end of the thumb and forefinger off so I can still pick up things..bits of thread, pins etc. Works for me :)

I use gardening gloves with little dots on them from the dollar tree. This would be a cheap way to see if they are going to help without spending much money.

I have and the F&P quilting gloves and they really help me move the fabrc a whole lot better.

I use the gloves, really make a difference, got them at Hobby Lobby at a very good price.

I tried garden gloves and Fons and Porter gloves. I like the machingers the best. Personal preference I guess. Also have a supreme slider. I thought I loved it, then, forgot to put it on the machine and didn't notice a difference, so I stopped using it.

I tried using gardening gloves with the dots on the fingertips, but was never happy with the way they worked. So I bought a pair of machingers and love them! They work really well to help hold the fabric.

I have one of those halos and don't like it at all.

I usually use snug fitting rubber-coated spandex utility gloves that have the thumbs and forefingers cut out, but I bought some Machingers and I think they're just as good. I had a pair of the F&P gloves and they were okay, but not big enough for me. Anything to give you some traction on the quilt. :) I do think the F&P kind provide the least traction, but I could be wrong because I only used them a few times for short periods.

The quilt halo is worse than useless - it's painful to use and it gets in your way. It forces your hands into a constant gripping/pinching position and you have to keep picking it up and moving it.

There is another tool that's based on the same idea - two squares with rubber grips on the bottom. You can use either square or both of them together. There is an opening at the back, so you don't have to cut your thread to remove the frame, but it's still in your way - you have to keep picking it up and moving it.

The gloves work much better - provided that they're snug-fitting and don't shift around on your hands.

Blog Entries
    Go get Atlas gardening gloves! So much cheaper and no aching arthritic hands

Quote Originally Posted by LivelyLady
    I have to use gloves. I have the ones from Fons & Porter, but also have a pair of cheap garden gloves with the nubs on the underneath which work as well as the expensive ones. It makes a world of difference :D :D
    Saw Garden gloves yesterday at Dollar Tree. Looked every bit as good as my Fons & Porter ones.

Blog Entries
    I have the F&P gloves but I cut off the tips of the index finger and thumb. I don't like having to take them off to pick up pins or whatever and can't do it well with the gloves on. I love it with the tips cut off.

Blog Entries
    My daughter recently got a new babylock (actually it was used) and she went home with both my slider and Fons and Porter quilting gloves. They both seem to make things easier for her.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltin chris

Chris
    I use Machingers because I feel the garden gloves and F&P, et.al., are just way to cumbersome/bulky to quilt with. The drag you are referring to is not having your quilt supported on the table both side and back.

The halo's are useless to me also...too small of an area to work with and you're constantly moving it's position.

The supreme slider is great but you have to have your machine in a recessed cabinet for it to work properly.

Go to Leah Day's website and you find a lot of information there:

http://www.daystyledesigns.com/

Banned
    I really like my machingers. I use them most of the time when quilting, especially FMQ. They're light weight and I can even use my tiny scissors while wearing them. :D

Blog Entries
    Mine are Atlas brand. They fit snugly and I like them a lot. Really help.

Blog Entries
    Wore the Machingers today for the first time. I really like them. Totally worth it. The supreme slider...not at all.

I found that gloves don't fit me well--too big--so I use finger cotts that I got in the office supply department. My hands don't get too hot and I can use them on one finger or all 10.
    Sue

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast