Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: machingers gloves or not?

I love my machingers, didn't think I would like wearing gloves, but I've gotten to where I don't fm without them.

Junior Member Retiredandquilting's Avatar
    I use the Fons and Porter gloves and love them; on my second pair.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by quiltin chris
    I use my regular sewing machine to stich in the ditch and other straight line quilting. However, when I have tried to FMQ on my machine it seems there is so much drag. I wondered if those gloves by Fons & Porter or machingers would make it better.

What about the "halo" thingies I see in the catalogs?

I have the Supreme Slider and feel a little disappointed with that. $30 bucks for that thing!!!

Chris

Blog Entries
    What r the gloves for? What is fmq and what is a halo? Can u tell I am new? Lol

I am going to try the CHEAP garden gloves first, to see if that helps me!

Blog Entries
    I have several pairs I use for FHQ. I bought the cheap $1.00 ones at Target that they sell in the fall. They are the stretchy, knit, one-size-fits all, driving ones. They have the little nubs on the psalms of them and are snug fitting. I love them.

I love my gloves, don't know who makes them but they are great, the garden gloves I used for a while were a bit bulky. Make sure you have dropped you feed dogs when you do free motion quilting cause that will cause drag.(can you tell i've done this) I put my ironing board at the edge of my sewing table so the quilt won't be pulled and cause drag.

I use the Fons and Porter gloves too. They make all the difference to me. Now if I could just keep my three yr old son from wanting to take them all the time :o)

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Use my Machingers all the time & love them. Just bought a new pair as I wore my first pair out!

I'm only working on fmq on my first quilt right now, and I started out with the machingers gloves. Haven't tried fmq without gloves and don't intend to - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!! I can tell you this, though - My hands, shoulders and arms are less tired using the gloves for fmq than without on straight line quilting. I will never quilt again without gloves, fmq or otherwise.

I use my machingers gloves every time I FMQ. I have an extra pair. I don't want to ever be without them when I am doing FMQ.

My slider was a loss. I taped it down with painter's tape. The tape came off and I had quilted the slider into my quilt before I noticed that the slider had moved. I have another slider but haven't gotten up the nerve to use a slider again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltin chris
    I use my regular sewing machine to stich in the ditch and other straight line quilting. However, when I have tried to FMQ on my machine it seems there is so much drag. I wondered if those gloves by Fons & Porter or machingers would make it better.

What about the "halo" thingies I see in the catalogs?

I have the Supreme Slider and feel a little disappointed with that. $30 bucks for that thing!!!

Chris
    Bought Mr.Clean gloves while shopping last year sometime - they are spandex and the entire palm and fingers are covered with rubber dots. $1.98 and work like a charm plus they "fit like a glove".

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    gloves! they make me Stronger. lol...

Quote Originally Posted by mona202
    What r the gloves for? What is fmq and what is a halo? Can u tell I am new? Lol
    The gloves help with grip/control of moving the fabric while quilting. Your hands alone are not grippy and control is important to get good stitches. Some people do not use gloves, but it is much easier of you do. The gloves have rubber grippies that grab the fabric and then you can just move your hands without trying to hold on to the fabric at same time

FMQ is free motion quilting.

The quilting Halo is a tool that is a rubbery circle that you lay on your quilt. It grips the fabric and your hands hold on to that circle. It is ok for close quilting, but for stippling, etc, it isn't helpful because you need to constantly be moving it to get to the next area you want to quilt.

Welcome to quilting!

Blog Entries
    Wow thanks for all the info. This board is wonderful!

I use the machiners gloves and spray my table with a silicone spray. Can grip the quilt easily to move it and it slides so smoothly.

I have the machingers and love them, use them every time I FMQ. I've tried the Fons & Porter gloves but the finger tips wore out too quickly. I've also tried the halo and it seemed harder on my shoulders to use it.

I got out a pair of cotton dress gloves (ones I wore to Church when I was lots younger!) and tried them to quilt with. I was so surprised at how well they worked! I have F&P quilting gloves too, but I don't think they work as well as my Church gloves. They fit very snugly and have just the right amount of "tack" for me. I think you have to do some experimenting to find the right ones for you.

I love my Machingers. You can find a size chart on Leah Day's blog. (Do a search.) I do not recommend F&P gloves. Threads cling to them. I threw mine away so they wouldn't drive me insane!

I love my machingers. I've tried several different types of gloves and the machingers are the best!!!

I have a pair of gloves I picked up at the dollar store. They are regular knit winter gloves with little rubber nubbies all over the palms.I cut the fingers off so I can keep the gloves on no matter what I'm doing. They work great and cost me a whole dollar.

I use garden gloves that have rubber on the finger tips and palms. I think I paid $3 for them at WalMart.

The "Machiningers" work great for free motioning. I don't know why I waited so long to try them. Keep the directions for washing them.

I have the F&P gloves. I like to use them but they are just a tad too small. I tried the garden gloves first and they seemed to bulky. I was wondering if it was worth the money to get the Machingers, sounds like it is. Those will be my next purchase for quilting.

Bought the F & P gloves and really like them, even sometimes for straight stitching. My hands seem to be dry and with my RA the gloves work very well. They were a worth while investment.

I use little rubber finger tips on 3 or 4 fingers of each hand. They sell them in office supply places, used to be used for people who filed paper a lot. I think someone has made them for FMQ at one time. They're not as cumbersome as the gloves and a lot cooler.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast