Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: machingers gloves or not?

I, too, use the rubbery shelf liners instead of gloves. I don't do gloves for anything. I just cut a piece the width & length of my hands & they are perfect. You don't have to keep taking them off as you do the gloves.

Don't know. I have never used them.

Yes to the machingers. I like them better than F&P. I also use Sharon S halo. Helps tremendously because of my carpal tunnel problem.

My machine quilting has really improved since I started wearing the gloves my Mom got me for Christmas. They are the Fons and Porter gloves but look just like the gardening gloves I buy for about $1.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I use rubber gloves that my husband has in the garage for when he paints. Cheap. Totally effective.

Blog Entries
    Try taping the corners of the slider down, and instead of machingers, try the one size fits all gloves from the dollar store that have the little gripper dots on them. That is what I use, and could not be happier. And, for a buck, if you hate them, they can still keep you warm!

I've had a pair of Machingers along with other brands. The Machingers give me the best control, and my hands don't tire as fast.
    Steffie

machinger gloves is what i use and i love them , but they wont help the drag by themself, and as far as the slider goes i dont think it is that great either i had one and dont use it,what you need to do to help with the drag is surround yourself with tables so the quilt has room to lay on the table and not hang over try to get as big of room on the left side and the back of your machine as you can you will see the differance, instead of buying a slider get one of those teflon mats you can use in the oven , i bought mine at Menards for 2.00 it works just as good and is disposable when you happen to ruin it !!!

Ive done FMQ with the gloves and without the gloves I feel it goes much easier with the gloves

You're lucky it was only $30 - try $150...

The rubber gloves are good, but i find my hands sweat and peel in them. They are annoying in that they have to come off to re - thread needles and then they are wet and clammy to put back on (for me). The machingers are too big for the tips of my fingers and come off (I even sewed on onto my quilt once). So I have found that Philippa Naylor's method of using the small rubbery non slip mats that you put under bowls and glasses are the best. You just sit them on top of your work, hand on top and push. They are easily lifted and put into position again. If you can't find the small ones, just cut up one of the bigger ones that are about the size of a place mat. The have a lot of little holes in them, like a grid pattern.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for mentioning this I was going to give it a try and now I definately will. I also saw gloves in the local market yesterday that a for cleaning but they have an almost velco type feel.

Quote Originally Posted by LivelyLady
    I have to use gloves. I have the ones from Fons & Porter, but also have a pair of cheap garden gloves with the nubs on the underneath which work as well as the expensive ones. It makes a world of difference :D :D

I think that regular gardening gloves, with a "nubby" surface work every bit as well and cost far less----dave your $$ for fabric!

I had been taking all my tops to a wonderful L-A quilter - but it started getting way too expensive, even though her prices are good. Last summer I made 22 lap quilts (for great nieces & nephews and for friends's kids going to college.) They cost anywhere from $48 - $58, so you do the math. For baby quilts or laps I am now trying to do the quilting myself. I was having a problem with neck and back strain and slippage. I bought some of the gloves from Clothilde and I LOVE Them. They really helped me. Good luck! M.E.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Sews
    I use gardening gloves with little dots on them from the dollar tree. This would be a cheap way to see if they are going to help without spending much money.
    Ditto...that's where I bought my gloves and they make a world of difference. With the gloves on you don't have to grab your quilt to move it around while you are FMQing. You just spread your hands out on top of the quilt and easily guide the quilt as you are stitching. I find that with the gloves I don't tense up as much either so there is very little achiness and muscle fatigue afterwards. Machingers might be a bit better but a lot more expensive than a dollar :)

Quote Originally Posted by damaquilts
    Ok you convinced me . I just went to ebay and bought a pair. 7.94 with free shipping. From what I saw on line thats not too bad. Of course I now have $4 in my checking account LOL
    you will love the Machingers! $9 LQS. try "puddling" your
    quilt around your machine when you quilt instead of stretching it our. less chance of the quilt getting caught on the edge of your machine. if you are quilting with just the surface of a free-arm machine, or without some kind of table,
    your quilt can gently tug with the weight & put pull on the sewing area. keep it really loose all around.

They are a must when machine quilting. They will help feed the fabric through the machine with less wear on your hands. Go for it and get some. You won't be disappointed.

I use the gloves and think that they have helped tremendously. I find that my arthritic hands don't hurt as much.

They definitely help. I even use them when sid quilting.

Blog Entries
    I have the gloves and I love them. I do like the the Fons and Porter ones the best though. ( I have both)

LOVE my Machingers. I wouldn't FMQ without them!

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
    I tried garden gloves and Fons and Porter gloves. I like the machingers the best. Personal preference I guess. Also have a supreme slider. I thought I loved it, then, forgot to put it on the machine and didn't notice a difference, so I stopped using it.
    Ditto! Didn't like the Fons and Porter gloves; but love the machingers.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltin chris
    I use my regular sewing machine to stich in the ditch and other straight line quilting. However, when I have tried to FMQ on my machine it seems there is so much drag. I wondered if those gloves by Fons & Porter or machingers would make it better.

What about the "halo" thingies I see in the catalogs?

I have the Supreme Slider and feel a little disappointed with that. $30 bucks for that thing!!!

Chris
    I LOVE my Machingers. I not only use them for FMQ but sometimes use them for reg. sewing since they help me control the fabric. I forget to take them off.
    After listening to others' experiences with the slider, I won't bother buying one.
    There do seem to be a lot of doo dads out there when something we already have will do the job.

Blog Entries
    I use a lightweight pair of garden glove, and they work great - much cheaper than F&P's. Also use the halo and LOVE it. Depends on what I'm doing. The halo really grips the quilt, so I don't have to use my own muscles so much. My fingers don't get nearly as tired when I use it. Like anything else new, it takes practice before you're comfortable using it.

I prefer the Machingers gloves too. Tried the Fons & Porter but the others are a better fit, more flexible, more comfortable overall for me.

I have the slider which I think helps but I also covered by foam quilting table with a good quality oilcloth (let me know if you want the source) and it is every bit as slick as the supreme slider thing. In fact, I have trouble with things sliding off of it when I'm not doing machine quilting.

I use the gloves.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast