Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   machingers gloves or not? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machingers-gloves-not-t103543.html)

Ladyjanedoe 02-28-2011 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe
Make sure you're not reeaching up to your machine surface. This produces drag. The elbows have to be parallel for the quilt sandwich to glide. Happy quilting!

Oh...and the gloves are great :)

dunster 02-28-2011 08:59 AM

I use machingers for FMQ and they are GREAT! Buying them was one of the best things I ever did. They are not that expensive, and fit much better than cheaper gloves. My hands don't get too warm in them either.

Mary M 02-28-2011 09:24 AM

What are machinger gloves? I must be from the iceage to not know but I honestly have not heard of them [unless they go by a diffeent name also] Please enlighten me. LOL

gramquilter2 02-28-2011 09:37 AM

I like the Machingers for free motion quilting and do not like the slider, it was a waste of money. Have never tried the Halo. Has anyone used the Flynn quilt frame?

jaciqltznok 02-28-2011 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by blue10moon9
I do the following just prior to quilting a top...

Wax my wood table and sewing machine with Johnson's paste wax. Push my table up against the wall in a corner so the fabric doesn't fall off the edge of the table. Change my needle. Starch the backing fabric.

Yes, I use the gloves.

Happy Quilting!

seriously, you put wax on your machine..doesn't that paste wax contain pertroleum? if it does, you could be harm not only to your machine but the fabric that touches it as well!

jaciqltznok 02-28-2011 10:11 AM

what about the new Steady Betty hand wraps...anyone try those yet?

Debra Mc 02-28-2011 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by quiltin chris
I use my regular sewing machine to stich in the ditch and other straight line quilting. However, when I have tried to FMQ on my machine it seems there is so much drag. I wondered if those gloves by Fons & Porter or machingers would make it better.

What about the "halo" thingies I see in the catalogs?

I have the Supreme Slider and feel a little disappointed with that. $30 bucks for that thing!!!

Chris

On FMQ you have to drop the feed dogs. I use gloves. It really helps.

Tinabodina 02-28-2011 11:45 AM

I bought my gloves about 10 years ago and use them every time I quilt. Don't know what I would do without them.

lindalou 02-28-2011 12:15 PM

I use two squares of shelf paper?? Shelf material, it is the kind that's rubber and holds the material in place like the gloves do. You don't have gloves to take off when you need your fingers, but yet you don't slip. Linda

Rumbols 02-28-2011 12:31 PM

I love my machingers gloves and use them all the time when I quilt. I tried the slider but it didn't cover as much and tended to get in my way when changing the bobbins. I did find that when I raised my chair so that I was above the machine and quilt, it helped a lot on drag and eased the tension in my shoulders. I have the extension table which has rounded corners and the quilt catches, so that is my only problem so far.