Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machingers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machingers-t294287.html)

HettyB 01-24-2018 07:50 AM

Machingers

I am going on a 4 day free motion and ruler work retreat in Feb. On the class requirement list is a pair of machingers or equivalent.

I am going to have to order these online as there isn't a LQS near me that have these so before I order, how true is the fit? On Leah Day's site, there is a download for sizing chart but how accurate is this? I have arthritis in my fingers and can't stand tight gloves but I don't want them so loose that they are of no benefit or unsafe.

HettyB

RedGarnet222 01-24-2018 07:57 AM

Hetty,
I have the same problem. For years I bought the gardening gloves with the dimples on the palm thinking that it doesn't matter. But, I finally broke down this last summer and bought a pair at the quilt show. I got my true size and love them! They are a comfortable knit fabric and don't hurt at all in comparison. I was greatly surprised. You would not want them larger than your size. I would not want to struggle with excess fabric that could potentially get caught in the needle. Have fun at your class.

QuiltE 01-24-2018 08:30 AM

I wear a small ... and I think we just went with the outline template on the package.
Though I did have the benefit to try them on in the store and compare to the other size.
That "small" sure boosted my ego as I don't think I have ever had small in anything before! :)

They are nice and stretchy, so while tight, they do not feel restrictive.
I think you may find them helpful for your arthritis.
I find them quite comfortable to wear, almost soothing and relaxing on my hands.

Definitely, you do not want them loose .... visions of quilting it into your work here!

Good Luck with your four day retreat ... how exciting!!

Tartan 01-24-2018 08:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]587596[/ATTACH]I don't know if this will help but I take the S/M on this chart.

SusieQOH 01-24-2018 08:49 AM

Hetty, I bought the size that is the same as my gloves for wearing out in the cold.
They are fantastic! Very comfortable. I can't machine quilt w/o them.

Austinite 01-24-2018 08:52 AM

I love Machingers gloves but the smell gets to me! Super comfortable, can wear them for hours but the box they live in stinks to high heaven. trying to decide if I want to look for a better option.

NZquilter 01-24-2018 09:07 AM

I bought mine online too, so I just guessed my hands might fall into the small/ medium size. I was right. I love them and now can't FMQ without them! They fit "like a glove"... pun intended:) What I like most is that my hands don't overheat or get sweaty wearing them. They are breathable and comfy. I never noticed any smell from them, and I bought mine while I was pregnant, with a super sharp pregnancy sense of smell!

QuiltE 01-24-2018 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Austinite (Post 7989251)
I love Machingers gloves but the smell gets to me! Super comfortable, can wear them for hours but the box they live in stinks to high heaven. trying to decide if I want to look for a better option.

Did you ever think that it is the box they live in that is causing the smell?

Wash them .... and don't return them to the box!

cashs_mom 01-24-2018 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 7989261)
Did you ever think that it is the box they live in that is causing the smell?

Wash them .... and don't return them to the box!

I was thinking the same. I've never noticed any smell to mine at all. And BTW, I LOVE my Machingers. I had the old style with the dimples on them. They were okay but the Machingers are amazing!

Onebyone 01-24-2018 10:35 AM

My Machingers didn't come in a box but a package. You can wash them in a load of laundry and let them air dry.