Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Made in USA - FYI (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/made-usa-fyi-t213562.html)

borntoquilt 02-11-2013 08:30 AM

Made in USA - FYI

I started reading the MFG labels of fabric content, fabric origin, etc. while waiting my "cutting" turn @ local Hobby Lobby. (bolts were in the "go back" bin) I ran across MADE IN USA. Well.. I didn't think we had any mills left here so I GOOGLEDthe mill. They are BLANK TEXTILES INC, second generation in Irvington NY, USA. I bought some very nice looking black (Michael Miller is my usual "go to" black) that didn't bleed much when washed and it was $4.99 yd. I am not affiliated with either of these companies. Just thought it might interest folks. They are wholesale but their website has some beautiful fabric lines. Am going to ask my LQS's to look into them. Thanks and HAPPY QUILTING.... hope everybody is dry and warm.. Raining like MAD right now in MESA, AZ with reports of local snow showers...HEY! But it's a DRY snow!!! lol !! FREE SEW DAY !!! wahoo!

jrhboxers 02-11-2013 08:45 AM

I really like the fabrics from Blank Textiles. They have a pretty big selection that is getting larger. The two LQS around here carry alot of their stuff. And their prices are better because you don't have the international shipping and tarriff/taxes. Most of their stuff (at least at my LQSs) runs about $6-$7 - which is fabulous when compared to others. I do try to use them, if possible. Because I can get a really nice fabric at a Joann's cheap price.

Not affiliated - yada yada - just a VERY happy customer.

twoxover 02-11-2013 08:49 AM

i have not heard of them...but now i will check them out! thank you!

Monroe 02-11-2013 09:16 AM

I didn't know they were there. It's just south of Tarrytown (Legend of Sleepy Hollow) on the Hudson River. I used to take the train past there to NYC daily. I didn't think we had any fabrics made in the USA any more. A few years ago Connecting Threads advertised USA fabrics, but I don't know it it's still true.

ontheriver 02-11-2013 09:31 AM

Thanks for info. I try to buy from companies in USA as much as I can. I think I remember downloading some free patterns from their website. Yep, just googled them, the website is blankquilting.com. Show a list of 201 free patterns.

ghostrider 02-11-2013 09:51 AM

So what part of the process is done in the US? I haven't been able to find any information at all about their corporate structure or manufacturing process, probably made more difficult because they are a private company.

The company itself makes no claim their goods are Made in the USA, it is not listed on any of the Made in the USA websites that steer buyers towards US made goods, and the few articles about US textile makers (none of which are quilting textiles) make no mention of them. Still looking, but very curious about exactly what part is produced in the US, if any. If it merely comes back to the states for packaging and distribution, I believe it qualifies for the label even though it is essentially 'made' offshore.

sew4nin 02-11-2013 12:20 PM

I, too, try to buy American made whenever possible. You have to pay attention because companies often change where they manufacture their products. Two weeks ago we went to the Container Store to get some drawer organizers that were listed as made in America on their website. We drove 21 miles to discover that the product was actually made in China. We went home empty-handed:thumbdown:

alisonquilts 02-11-2013 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by borntoquilt (Post 5853919)
... Raining like MAD right now in MESA, AZ with reports of local snow showers...HEY! But it's a DRY snow!!! lol !! FREE SEW DAY !!! wahoo!

"It's a DRY snow" Love this - laughing my head off over here!

Alison

patsynel 02-11-2013 01:18 PM

Thanks so much for the info, I prefer to buy USA products and I will absolutely check this out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

labtechkty 02-11-2013 03:07 PM

My mother worked and eventually retired from a textile mill in North Carolina, We had, I want to say, four mills that made fabric and thread in the town I am from back then. Suddenly they all closed and never reopened..It is truly sad that we have lost so much..I for one would buy all my material from a manufacturer here in the states if I knew where I could get it...