Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Magazines--what todo with them? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/magazines-what-todo-them-t49889.html)

amma 06-16-2010 08:57 AM

Donate them, or sell them on here :D:D:D

wvdek 06-16-2010 08:57 AM

Find a quilting board online :lol: or in your area or the library. Call first as the library may not take them. These type of magazines generally do better at the library or to crafters.

Magazines for nursing homes and VA centers and hospitals are the everday type: B&G, Family, Womens Day, Handyman, Southern Living, Birds and Blooms, etc. We take ours to the VA center. We just lay them on tables and tehy do have a cart for thois purpose also.

craftybear 06-16-2010 11:16 AM

if you don't want them, please sell them on this board, we all enjoy buying old magazines, etc.

good luck!

Aunt Doggie 06-16-2010 11:32 AM

Take them to the nearest Half Price Books Store!
I am always looking for Quilt magazines to buy there!
It is the greatest book store, and they give you actual money for your old stuff!! (so you can rebuy more!)

Wish I was in Tennesee so I could buy them all from you!

Grinster 06-16-2010 11:44 AM

How about giving them to a local Quilt Guild? Our guild has a table of "freebees" at each meeting. Last night I got some AQS magazines with inspiring patterns!

dyer804 06-16-2010 01:20 PM

I've bought cross stitch magazines at our local cancer Discovery Shop and the hospice Hopechest. You could donate and help the charity as well as the person buying them. Cross stitch magazines have gotten harder to find as For Love of Cross Stitch as well as several others stopped publishing.

Crlyn 06-16-2010 03:12 PM

If I lived closer I would buy them off you..........

CAROLJ 06-16-2010 08:11 PM

Donate them to a Senior Center and take a tax write off.

Vanuatu Jill 06-16-2010 09:00 PM

I have subscribed to several magazines for the past 9 years, not living where I had access to either a fabric shop or anyone else quilting and have been a constant quilter for at least 8 of those years. I NEVER throw out a magazine, in fact, when a new issue comes, I scour every page and any quilt, instruction, quilting motif etc that I like, I stick a small colored post-it tab on the page, and if I am not ready to start a new quilt, I file it in mag holders on the book case in my sewing room. I know in 500 life-times I will NEVER make all them, but I can't tell you how many times I have gone back thru them, torn off the tab because I no longer liked the pattern and found a new pattern I preciously though was too difficult, but am now ready to tackle. I KNOW I should get rid of them, but as long as I have the space, I will hoard them. I guess until now I just didn't have anyone to give them to that would appreciate them.

sew_southern 06-16-2010 09:57 PM

I carefully cut out the patterns I want to keep and then pass the rest of the magazines on to a friend or Goodwill. I put the patterns into plastic sheet protectors and then put into a large quilt binder that I've made up. It's like having a large quilt book of hand picked patterns. :)