Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Mailing Option (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mailing-option-t69075.html)

patricej 10-08-2010 01:30 PM

if Harbor Freight starts selling tyvek envelopes, they may as well start calling themselves "Harbor Freight and Quilter's Haven". :lol:

watterstide 10-08-2010 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
if Harbor Freight starts selling tyvek envelopes, they may as well start calling themselves "Harbor Freight and Quilter's Haven". :lol:

really?!! lol
!!wow! i just got a coupon and the "Free" screw drivers coupon today!

ktbb 10-08-2010 01:37 PM

a plus for the Tyvek envelopes...if you're into painting, art quilts, etc, tyvek can be painted, stitched (without tearing out), and when it's heated with a heat gun it bubbles up and changes shapes....I've used it in a couple of art quilts and love to play with it. If you receive a tyvek envelope in the mail, hang onto it and play with it some day or find a person who does art quilts and give it to her/him.

CoyoteQuilts 10-08-2010 01:49 PM

I picked some up some time ago at Staples. It was a large box and I think I ended up paying just a little less than a buck a piece for them. Well worth the extra cost over manila envelopes as they don't rip, but beware---the glue isn't always the best so I always put some tape on all the 'seams'....

featherweight 10-08-2010 03:18 PM

Thanks for the excellent tip. I will have to buy some.

shequilts 10-08-2010 03:31 PM

Just adding to this message. I bought 12 9x13, Tyvek expandable envelopes for just pennies over 12.00. Slightly more than 1.00 per envelope. I found them at Office Max. but any office supply would have them. I actually tried to tear one and could not. The ones at the post office are not free. The priority boxes are, but not these envelopes. In fact, I didn't see any quite like these at the post office. This will be my way of mailing from now on. I like to save a buck where I can.

FYI: I added Tape to the self sticking tape. (Just in case)
I was able to get 11 full yards of fabric inside and could probable have gotten one or two more.

Originally Posted by shequilts
I found out today from a reader on this board about using the Tyvek envelopes for posting. Welll! Talk about a big difference in postage. I posted a package to Canada for $10.00 less than it would cost to use the USPS priority mail box. I had no idea this was an option. :oops:
Many of you already know this, but I'm posting for those of us who just weren't that savvy. Postage saved is money for mre fabric!
Karen :thumbup:

amma 10-08-2010 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ

LMBO :thumbup:

carolynjo 10-09-2010 04:06 PM

Tyvek is practically indestructible; it's the white sheeting on the walls of houses being constructed. It is an excellent insulator and lasts forever. You can't tear it and it will take a lot of abuse as an envelope. And yep, you can get them at the PO.

watterstide 10-10-2010 05:14 AM

And Please don't forget to re-use them, i have placed new labels over old one, turned them inside out, and cut them in 2, when i needed a smaller piece!

sjhughson 10-10-2010 05:32 AM

That is a great idea to recycle these bags. I am so grateful for all the tips this board and others offer daily. Thanks every one for all your generosity.