Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Mailing Option

  1. #1
    Super Member shequilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,334
    I found out today from a reader on this board about using the Tyvek envelopes for posting. Welll! Talk about a big difference in postage. I posted a package to Canada for $10.00 less than it would cost to use the USPS priority mail box. I had no idea this was an option. :oops:
    Many of you already know this, but I'm posting for those of us who just weren't that savvy. Postage saved is money for mre fabric!
    Karen :thumbup:

  2. #2
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,656
    Blog Entries
    194
    where do you buy the Tyvek envelopes???

    I just searched and found some information on them here

    http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Envelop...e_locator.html

    http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Envelop...pps/index.html

    Quote Originally Posted by shequilts
    I found out today from a reader on this board about using the Tyvek envelopes for posting. Welll! Talk about a big difference in postage. I posted a package to Canada for $10.00 less than it would cost to use the USPS priority mail box. I had no idea this was an option. :oops:
    Many of you already know this, but I'm posting for those of us who just weren't that savvy. Postage saved is money for mre fabric!
    Karen :thumbup:

  3. #3
    Senior Member LovinMySoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    973
    what are Tyvek envelopes? never heard of them

  4. #4
    Super Member MommaDorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sully, Iowa
    Posts
    2,506
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
    what are Tyvek envelopes? never heard of them
    You don't have to buy them, you just ask your post office for them. They are these fabric'y kind of envelopes. Still paper, but you can't tear through it.

  5. #5
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    14,914
    Blog Entries
    2
    I want to know too????????

  6. #6
    Super Member oatw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,746
    **Tyvek envelopes are like the gold envelopes you can buy, but they are made of a plastic like paper called Tyvek. It is virtually indestructible and very light weight.

    You can buy plain Tyvek envelopes almost anywhere that sells envelopes - Walmart, Walgreens, the office supply store, etc. The USPS also provides Priority Tyvek envelopes for free with Priority mail shipping. You can pick these up at the post office or order them online at usps.com.

    These are not flat rate, so your shipping charge is based on where it is going and on the weight of your package. Unless you are mailing something really heavy, it is usually cheaper NOT to use the flat rate boxes, even for priority mail.

  7. #7
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,656
    Blog Entries
    194
    thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by oatw13
    You can buy plain Tyvek envelopes almost anywhere that sells envelopes - Walmart, Walgreens, the office supply store, etc. The USPS also provides Priority Tyvek envelopes for free with Priority mail shipping. You can pick these up at the post office or order them online at usps.com.

    These are not flat rate, so your shipping charge is based on where it is going and on the weight of your package. Unless you are mailing something really heavy, it is usually cheaper NOT to use the flat rate boxes, even for priority mail.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Aully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    High River, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    675
    YAY!

  9. #9
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,656
    Blog Entries
    194
    Okay, now Quilt Board Members running to buy envelopes

    1. Harbor Freight rotary blades
    2. Envelopes

    now what, this is so funny, thanks for all of the cool tips so we can save $$$$

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,834
    Blog Entries
    1
    i bought a box of them a year ago, i have even cut them in half and used them that way. water proof is a good thing!
    i got mine at either staples or office maxx.
    i used to get bags at "bags unlimited" an online shop.

    what they look like..
    http://www.google.com/search?q=pictu...=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8

  11. #11
    Community Manager PatriceJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,676
    Blog Entries
    3
    if Harbor Freight starts selling tyvek envelopes, they may as well start calling themselves "Harbor Freight and Quilter's Haven". :lol:

  12. #12
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,834
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    if Harbor Freight starts selling tyvek envelopes, they may as well start calling themselves "Harbor Freight and Quilter's Haven". :lol:
    really?!! lol
    !!wow! i just got a coupon and the "Free" screw drivers coupon today!

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,335
    a plus for the Tyvek envelopes...if you're into painting, art quilts, etc, tyvek can be painted, stitched (without tearing out), and when it's heated with a heat gun it bubbles up and changes shapes....I've used it in a couple of art quilts and love to play with it. If you receive a tyvek envelope in the mail, hang onto it and play with it some day or find a person who does art quilts and give it to her/him.

  14. #14
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,304
    I picked some up some time ago at Staples. It was a large box and I think I ended up paying just a little less than a buck a piece for them. Well worth the extra cost over manila envelopes as they don't rip, but beware---the glue isn't always the best so I always put some tape on all the 'seams'....

  15. #15
    Super Member featherweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Co
    Posts
    2,700
    Thanks for the excellent tip. I will have to buy some.

  16. #16
    Super Member shequilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,334
    Just adding to this message. I bought 12 9x13, Tyvek expandable envelopes for just pennies over 12.00. Slightly more than 1.00 per envelope. I found them at Office Max. but any office supply would have them. I actually tried to tear one and could not. The ones at the post office are not free. The priority boxes are, but not these envelopes. In fact, I didn't see any quite like these at the post office. This will be my way of mailing from now on. I like to save a buck where I can.



    FYI: I added Tape to the self sticking tape. (Just in case)
    I was able to get 11 full yards of fabric inside and could probable have gotten one or two more.
    Quote Originally Posted by shequilts
    I found out today from a reader on this board about using the Tyvek envelopes for posting. Welll! Talk about a big difference in postage. I posted a package to Canada for $10.00 less than it would cost to use the USPS priority mail box. I had no idea this was an option. :oops:
    Many of you already know this, but I'm posting for those of us who just weren't that savvy. Postage saved is money for mre fabric!
    Karen :thumbup:

  17. #17
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,079
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    if Harbor Freight starts selling tyvek envelopes, they may as well start calling themselves "Harbor Freight and Quilter's Haven". :lol:
    LMBO :thumbup:

  18. #18
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,417
    Tyvek is practically indestructible; it's the white sheeting on the walls of houses being constructed. It is an excellent insulator and lasts forever. You can't tear it and it will take a lot of abuse as an envelope. And yep, you can get them at the PO.

  19. #19
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,834
    Blog Entries
    1
    And Please don't forget to re-use them, i have placed new labels over old one, turned them inside out, and cut them in 2, when i needed a smaller piece!

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Toms River, NJ
    Posts
    138
    That is a great idea to recycle these bags. I am so grateful for all the tips this board and others offer daily. Thanks every one for all your generosity.

  21. #21
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,038
    AWESOME tip! I never heard of them, either. Thank you!!!!!

  22. #22
    Senior Member DebbyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Grawn, Michigan
    Posts
    638
    Quote Originally Posted by shequilts
    Just adding to this message. I bought 12 9x13, Tyvek expandable envelopes for just pennies over 12.00. Slightly more than 1.00 per envelope. I found them at Office Max. but any office supply would have them. I actually tried to tear one and could not. The ones at the post office are not free. The priority boxes are, but not these envelopes. In fact, I didn't see any quite like these at the post office. This will be my way of mailing from now on. I like to save a buck where I can.



    FYI: I added Tape to the self sticking tape. (Just in case)
    I was able to get 11 full yards of fabric inside and could probable have gotten one or two more.


    You may need to check at the post office again. I retired a year ago and the tyvek priority envelopes were free then. I had several customers that used them for e-bay and I supplied them with both boxes and tyvek envelopes. Sometimes they are out of stock and/or have limited supplies of the Tyvek envelopes. You can order them delivered for free too. Important to understand - priority rates apply, to the free ones. The plain ones are sold and the rates for mailing can be less. --- I agree with extra tape. Sometimes the adhesive provided is not enough, especially when the package is stuffed.



    Quote Originally Posted by shequilts
    I found out today from a reader on this board about using the Tyvek envelopes for posting. Welll! Talk about a big difference in postage. I posted a package to Canada for $10.00 less than it would cost to use the USPS priority mail box. I had no idea this was an option. :oops:
    Many of you already know this, but I'm posting for those of us who just weren't that savvy. Postage saved is money for mre fabric!
    Karen :thumbup:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.