Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Make do tools (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/make-do-tools-t56465.html)

Lady Shivesa 07-27-2010 07:08 AM

How neat! I've just started sewing, so I don't have all the typical supplies yet. Yesterday I found I had sewn the wrong blocks together, so I had to take the seam out.

But I didn't have a seam ripper.

Luckily, I had one of those little tiny pairs of silver scissors that come with manicure kits - and it worked perfectly!

SuzieQ-uilts 07-27-2010 07:17 AM

The local computer stores are having back to school sales. My new favorite is the very small rectangular shaped. snap top. clear colored plastic boxes. They are on special for 25 cents. They are perfect for pins, etc. What a find! :thumbup:
A friend also showed me her plastic pencil box with her quilting supplies inside. Great for travel.

oatw13 07-27-2010 07:19 AM

Walmart sells great plastic boxes that are meant to hold Hot Wheels cars. They are about $5 in the toy department. They work great to hold thread! They sell a similar box in the fabric department that is smaller for thread that is about $20!

b.zang 07-27-2010 07:25 AM

My pins are in round containers that twist into each other making a tower with the bottom of one being the top of the next. I have two towers for different types of pins and each container has one type of pin in it.
But my favourite hardware tool is a 6' metal ruler that fits diagonally across whatever I want to cut.

MaryStoaks 07-27-2010 07:29 AM

I use cheap 2" paint brushes to clean the lint from my Tin Lizzie. I got tired of searching for the brush with each bobbin change so I put a piece of velcro on each side of Lizzie's frame and on my cleaning brushes. They are always within reach.

littlehud 07-27-2010 07:33 AM

Wow, I'm loving this. What great ideas.

walen 07-27-2010 07:39 AM

Me, too! I guess a trip to the hardware store is in order! I do need a rubber mallet for whacking thick seams, my nice, clean one seemed to disappear about the same time that a dirty one turned up on my husband's bench! Hummmm....

katier825 07-27-2010 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by walen
Me, too! I guess a trip to the hardware store is in order! I do need a rubber mallet for whacking thick seams, my nice, clean one seemed to disappear about the same time that a dirty one turned up on my husband's bench! Hummmm....

LOL Maybe you should paint the handle pink & flowery! Would that help keep him from taking it?

stitchinwitch 07-27-2010 08:45 AM

now THAT is what I am talking about! Why NOT use what we HAVE already instead of breaking the bank!! Thanks for starting this thread - I hope it goes on forever!

Joyce 07-27-2010 08:55 AM

It doesn't hurt to have your own equipped tool box too.
I head to a Craftsman tool sale for this. I have bought all four daughters their own, filled, toolboxes. They have gone on from there.
I like to keep my tools clean. No grease on any of my fabrics.