Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Make do tools (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/make-do-tools-t56465.html)

Joyce 07-28-2010 07:22 AM

I have round dowels that I use to press open seams like for pillow cases.
If it is something longer, like a turned quilt, I use a good tube that fabrics have been wrapped around. JoAnn's will let you pick whatever you want.

Miss Mona 07-28-2010 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by katier825

Originally Posted by walen
Me, too! I guess a trip to the hardware store is in order! I do need a rubber mallet for whacking thick seams, my nice, clean one seemed to disappear about the same time that a dirty one turned up on my husband's bench! Hummmm....

LOL Maybe you should paint the handle pink & flowery! Would that help keep him from taking it?

No, my tools have purple and pink flowers on them and they keep turning up on hubbys workbench. He says mine were easier to find. Duh!! If you put things away after you use them they are easier to find. My hammer has red nail polish around the handle, (and is missing) and my tool box is purple. I still can't locate my screw drivers, but he knows nothing.

Joyce 07-28-2010 07:38 AM

Miss mona, get yourself a dirty old box (only has to look dirty) set your toolbox inside it. Do you think that might work?

Lady Diana 07-28-2010 07:43 AM

Some tool boxes come with locks.
D in TX

marytoddliz 07-28-2010 07:47 AM

My hunny bought me a piece of plexiglass at the Auto parts store and used a utility knife to cut it into templates for me. I now have any size I can think of. To get my measurements I have used clear packing tape and taped on an inexpensive cloth tape measurer that I purchased at the dollar store. They work nicely, on a few I have added lines with a black permenant marker.

You will need to lightly sand the rough edges with a very light grain sand paper.

Tiffany 07-28-2010 07:48 AM

The hardware store is a great place for tools but I prefer to shop at my hubby's tool box. It's much more conveniently located for me and the price is just right! :twisted:

Ramona Byrd 07-28-2010 08:16 AM

My hunny bought me a piece of plexiglass at the Auto parts store and used a utility knife to cut it into templates for me.
-------------------------------------
With some care, you can cut OUT the shapes needed for
Fussy Cuts, and still be able to see the surrounding area.
Dremel tools are good for this.

Ramona Byrd 07-28-2010 08:18 AM

I'm busy copying and pasting this onto another letter to
send to my daughter and sewing friends. I'll also print it out
for computer illiterate friends and family. These are marvelous
ideas, and thank you all for them. This forum is filled with such
talented folks!!

quilt3311 07-28-2010 08:26 AM

Our hardware store has an oven liner that is identical to what the quilt shops have as a pressing sheet for fusible applique. Its about $5 where the quilt shop version is $17. Hardware stores, storage unit shops, scrap booking shops, upholstery shops (they sometimes give sample books away or for a small cost) farm stores, lots of small items that can be used, lumber yards (door peep holes, door stops etc) It goes on and on.

Joyce 07-28-2010 08:40 AM

I just set a huge box of home dec & uph fabric down at the end of my driveway. I just wrote "free fabric scraps" on it.
It was gone right away. I'm almost ready to put another one out.
I don't have garage sales. Anything that is useable we always take it to the end of the driveway which is 1/8 mi.
Someone always picks it up which makes me feel good.