Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making the Cool Ties for the troops. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-cool-ties-troops-t48148.html)

quilterj 09-13-2010 05:45 PM

I have only made 2 or three a couple years ago. My husband, bil and I think for someone else. They luckily didn't get chaffing but then I don't think they wore them constantly either. But if they happen to chaf why not use the chaffing stick on the neck to prevent that? I never used a serge stitch on mine, just a straight stitch.

DebsShelties 09-14-2010 02:12 AM

I remember trying to help a group with quilts for soldiers. Will never do it again however due to how things panned out. I was given fabric to work with for a large quilt. The fabric was donated and guess no one bothered to really look to see if it was good enough to use before handing out. I ended up adding fabric of my own from my own stash from Quilt in a Day, a high end fabric shop! Got told that I use cheap fabric and all my projects were crappy. I decided I did not have to put up with that as it was NOT my fault. It was their responsibility to check the fabric that they were giving out to people to make the quilts.
If they wanted perfection, they should have specified and told anyone who was a beginner that sorry you are not good enough to join in our group.
I was told I could do the pattern any way I saw fit. Was told later that was not the case, hmmmm. It was a patchwork scrappy, that I tried very hard to not place two pieces of the same fabric side by side. That is why I had to add from my own stash.
Am happier now doing my own thing. It's not that I don't feel for our soldiers, I do, it's that my work was not appreciated when my help was asked for.

pookie ookie 09-14-2010 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by quilterj
But if they happen to chaf why not use the chaffing stick on the neck to prevent that? I never used a serge stitch on mine, just a straight stitch.

Chaffing solutions don't work outside the wire in 24/7 moist conditions.

On a humorous note, I just saw Monkey Butt advertised for women. They have a pink bottle version now and they say it's for thigh chaffing.

applique 07-07-2011 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by KellyK
I just wanted to say a heartfelt "Bless You" to everyone here who has ever made or donated one of these!

When I was in a deployed location about two years ago, my unit got a box full of different morale things and there were some Cool Ties in the box. The guys I worked with didn't have a clue what they were about, but I grabbed about seven and took them out on the truck with us. A few hours later, after they'd been soaking in an ice cooler I handed them out and let me tell you, it feels SO GOOD when it it 130+ with humidity and you feel that coldness seeping in. So, serged, sewn, glued, they won't care, as long as they can make it cold!

You guys rock!

Can they be frozen??

nyelphaba 07-07-2011 03:28 PM

I am wearing one right now. This day has been a experiment to see if while I do housework, laundry, cooking this will help me with hot flashes. So far so good-have not had one all day, although the evening is the worst for me. Time will tell, the sun is setting I'll see if I heat up.

granma1 07-08-2011 07:53 AM

As to things being donated to the troops , our DD is stationed in AF . She tells us what is needed at her COB and we donate it. Jami sees to it that everyone gets stuff. I trust her to give it out as needed from tampons to lotion or fleece blankets that I make. I am sure there are people out there doing good things but there are also the others. I am an old lady ,cranky and after seeing what went on during Vietnam War ,I trust no one to get things to the troops.

jljack 07-08-2011 02:42 PM

We have a Soldiers Angels chapter at our church, and we have been making sand scarves, cooling scarves and helmet coolers and sending them directly to the units. Never had a complaint. Only thing they really specify is cotton that is dark tan or light brown (same?).

LucyInTheSky 07-08-2011 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
Some organizations are picky. One in particular will return quilts if they are not made of quilt shop fabric. They suggest you have bake sales and such to raise money for this year's fabric lines.

Hold bake sales to raise $ to buy certain fabrics??? That is HILARIOUS. I believe there's a quality different between LQS and Joanns, but, wow, for an organization to turn you down because of that and then to tell you to hold a bake sale, wow. Just, wow. Thanks for the laugh :D

cabinqltr 07-08-2011 03:43 PM

A group of ladies from our church got together a couple days and made over a hundred neck coolers and helmut coolers. I got all the supplies together and we cut and sewed, turned and added crystals and sewed shut. It was great fellowship. I mailed them to a friends daughter that goes to the Dallas-Fort Worth airport and hands out neck pillows that she and friends make. She handed our things out too. Everyone was very greatful. Gives you a good feeling and just a little " thank you" to our guys and gals that keep us free.
This is where we got our crystals( they have many uses)
http://www.jersey-fleamarket.com/order.html
we used the medium size.

jeank 07-08-2011 04:48 PM

I have heard that the well known quilts for soldiers group that Fons and Porter promotes will return quilts that do not meet their strict standards. Nothing will hurt a quilter than to be rejected. They will reject on the basis of size and stitch in the ditch quilting.

My sewing group, Miracle Quilts for wounded soldiers, in Oxford MI would never tell someone that their quilt is not good enough.

See video of the quilts here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMLXzTpQzjI

Jean