Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Making the Cool Ties for the troops.

Blog Entries
    I was asked by a friend to make cool ties for the soldiers for an online organization she was part of . I said sure. I made 150 100% cotton brown colored ones and they were rejected because I serged the edges instead of seaming and then turning the tubes. ? Well I gave them to a church member who sent them to her grandson who is in Afghanistan. She makes cool ties for him and always serges them. Anyone know why serging won't be accepted?

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I was asked by a friend to make cool ties for the soldiers for an online organization she was part of . I said sure. I made 150 100% cotton brown colored ones and they were rejected because I serged the edges instead of seaming and then turning the tubes. ? Well I gave them to a church member who sent them to her grandson who is in Afghanistan. She makes cool ties for him and always serges them. Anyone know why serging won't be accepted?
    I've heard the same thing - but didn't find out the answer, either.
    Looking forward to finding out why - -

Some organizations are picky. One in particular will return quilts if they are not made of quilt shop fabric. They suggest you have bake sales and such to raise money for this year's fabric lines. That is totally unrealistic in MY world, so I bring any quilts for veterans directly to the VA hospital, where they have always been graciously received and distributed.

I am sure whoever is using yours is not obsessing over the construction method. You just need to connect with the group that appreciates your efforts. Sometimes the most well-publicized group is not the best fit for everyone.

Wow! I'd think that would get my goat! I guess they didn't need them too bad. The didn't think of all that work you put into them. Lesson learned, find out what the spec's are before making or giving anything to charity or organizations. This was a costly mistake on your part, but I'm glad that they eventually found a good home.

how do you make "cool Ties"?? What are they exactly? Im sure the troops would have loved them regardless of being serged or not.

Being the wife of a soldier I can tell you that they (the soldiers) do not care how the dang thing is put together, as long as it will hold water and keep them cool.

There are also places online that you can adopt a soldier, or a troop and send stuff to them directly. If you know someone that has a family member overseas it is great to get an address and send directly to them and then they will pass out to the rest of the troop.

Thank you for supporting our troops!

There are all kinds of directions online just google cool tie pattern and see what workds best for you!

Blog Entries
    Here is a link where you can donate the cool ties.

http://www.opgratitude.com/howtohelp...age=individual

Blog Entries
    Cool ties are tubes that hold crystals that absorb water, they are worn around the neck to cool off your body. They soak them in cold water and they stay cool for quite a while.

Could be that in serging, there's no "fold over" to keep the crystals in? Like teeny crystals when they're dry or even wet can sneak out?

Where do you get the crystals?

[quote=Moonpi]Some organizations are picky. One in particular will return quilts if they are not made of quilt shop fabric. They suggest you have bake sales and such to raise money for this year's fabric lines. That is totally unrealistic in MY world, so I bring any quilts for veterans directly to the VA hospital, where they have always been graciously received and distributed.

My dh is a vet and one day we were at the VA hospital and there was a volunteer with a card of quilts. I asked her what they were for and she said they were giving them to the vets, and asked if I was a vet. I told her dh was (he was standing there) and she said we could have one. We got a gray with penguins on it with a zigzag heart embroidered in the center. It is a summer quilt so it has no batting. Dh like it because it's just right for putting on his feet when I want the fan on :D

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I know several organizations that are "picky" but then again like Project Linus, we are a chapter with tax exemption 504 something or other. Quilts have to be 100% cotton and no embellishmenst like buttons etc. But when we get quilts that don't meet our goals, we don't hurt feelings, we have other groups like CAC, CPS, Nursing homes, etc we can send them to. And they do the same. YOu did a lot of hard work in those ties. I send pillowcases to a friend's son and he gives them out. No rules to follow.
    Keep your head up and continue to do what you feel. You have a wonderful, caring heart and your heart was in the right place.

Similar to cool ties, I make cool beds for dogs. (I have bulldogs who do not tolerate heat well, thus the idea.) Anyone know of a group I can make and donate these to for service dogs? Military, police, fire rescue... Heck, I'd even make some for dog rescue or shelters.

I can only think of one reason, why they might not want them to be serged. With the serger threads on the outside it may cause neck irritation from rubbing, especially with the polyester and rayon serger threads.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mytwopals
    I can only think of one reason, why they might not want them to be serged. With the serger threads on the outside it may cause neck irritation from rubbing, especially with the polyester and rayon serger threads.
    That would make some sense - But if the serging was on the inside, would it matter?

When I was at the festival yesterday. I seen that someone had these for sale. They were selling them for $14.00. They also said that once you get them to swell you can put them in the microwave for 30 sec. to 1 min. and it will stay warm for about 45 mins. to 1 hr. Has anyone tried putting this in the microwave?

If you are thinking about putting them in the microwave, be advised that ALL fabric and thread MUST be cotton only. Do not use cotton/poly thread or fabric as they can catch fire. Read about the potato baker bags on this board and you will understand.

Cool Ties cause chaffing. My bf chose to suffer the heat for a couple months until he convinced himself he could live with chaffing. lol

If anyone wants to purchase some to check out the construction of an okay'd Cool Tie, or to gift them to anonymous deployed military, Soldiers Angels sells them.

Maybe the serging adds to the chaffing problem? It could just be a zero tolerance rule. It's easier to say "no serging" than "no serging on the outside." It could also be that serging on the inside does add to the chaffing problem.

I don't know. I'd ask my bf but he doesn't understand serging. Email them and ask sweetly for an answer.

Blog Entries
    I did contact the head of the group and she said it looked better with no stitching showing. I can't believe someone was selling these for $14 and someone would pay that. The only out of pocket cost to a quilter is the beads. Fabric strips are in everyone's scrap basket. I think I paid about $8 for those and still have over half a bag left. it only takes about 1/2- 1 teaspoon per tie.

Soldiers Angels sells them for $7.95. It's a good organization that I use a lot. It's especially good for donating to strangers when my man is home and/or I have no point of contact. Bakemeawish.com has a buy one and send one to an anon service member program and cookiesdirect.net has a cookie program for anonymous donations.

The real issues with cool ties/scarves are the chaffing and color. Once those are dealt with I can't imagine why anyone would be concerned with "looking better." That's kind of subjective and definitely disappointing. Sorry.

I hope this hasn't soured you on deployment related projects.

I just wanted to say a heartfelt "Bless You" to everyone here who has ever made or donated one of these!

When I was in a deployed location about two years ago, my unit got a box full of different morale things and there were some Cool Ties in the box. The guys I worked with didn't have a clue what they were about, but I grabbed about seven and took them out on the truck with us. A few hours later, after they'd been soaking in an ice cooler I handed them out and let me tell you, it feels SO GOOD when it it 130+ with humidity and you feel that coldness seeping in. So, serged, sewn, glued, they won't care, as long as they can make it cold!

You guys rock!

I have only made 2 or three a couple years ago. My husband, bil and I think for someone else. They luckily didn't get chaffing but then I don't think they wore them constantly either. But if they happen to chaf why not use the chaffing stick on the neck to prevent that? I never used a serge stitch on mine, just a straight stitch.

Blog Entries
    I remember trying to help a group with quilts for soldiers. Will never do it again however due to how things panned out. I was given fabric to work with for a large quilt. The fabric was donated and guess no one bothered to really look to see if it was good enough to use before handing out. I ended up adding fabric of my own from my own stash from Quilt in a Day, a high end fabric shop! Got told that I use cheap fabric and all my projects were crappy. I decided I did not have to put up with that as it was NOT my fault. It was their responsibility to check the fabric that they were giving out to people to make the quilts.
    If they wanted perfection, they should have specified and told anyone who was a beginner that sorry you are not good enough to join in our group.
    I was told I could do the pattern any way I saw fit. Was told later that was not the case, hmmmm. It was a patchwork scrappy, that I tried very hard to not place two pieces of the same fabric side by side. That is why I had to add from my own stash.
    Am happier now doing my own thing. It's not that I don't feel for our soldiers, I do, it's that my work was not appreciated when my help was asked for.

Quote Originally Posted by quilterj
    But if they happen to chaf why not use the chaffing stick on the neck to prevent that? I never used a serge stitch on mine, just a straight stitch.
    Chaffing solutions don't work outside the wire in 24/7 moist conditions.

On a humorous note, I just saw Monkey Butt advertised for women. They have a pink bottle version now and they say it's for thigh chaffing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyK
    I just wanted to say a heartfelt "Bless You" to everyone here who has ever made or donated one of these!

When I was in a deployed location about two years ago, my unit got a box full of different morale things and there were some Cool Ties in the box. The guys I worked with didn't have a clue what they were about, but I grabbed about seven and took them out on the truck with us. A few hours later, after they'd been soaking in an ice cooler I handed them out and let me tell you, it feels SO GOOD when it it 130+ with humidity and you feel that coldness seeping in. So, serged, sewn, glued, they won't care, as long as they can make it cold!

You guys rock!
    Can they be frozen??

I am wearing one right now. This day has been a experiment to see if while I do housework, laundry, cooking this will help me with hot flashes. So far so good-have not had one all day, although the evening is the worst for me. Time will tell, the sun is setting I'll see if I heat up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast