Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making the Cool Ties for the troops. >

Making the Cool Ties for the troops.

Making the Cool Ties for the troops.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:52 PM

If your quilts are rejected ship them to an old soldier's home. Those fellows are so thrilled and grateful that someone still cares, remembers, and thinks about them. They love the bright colors and the idea that someone made it just for them. They are certainly worthy of whatever joy we can bring to them.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:02 PM

>Am happier now doing my own thing. It's not that I don't feel for our soldiers, I do, it's that my work was not appreciated when my help was asked for.<

Seems to me that the problem isn't the soldiers, but the OCD "helpers" stateside - My suggestion is to find a group who appreciates what we do, not one who wants it to be "perfect". From reading the posts, I get the feeling that the troops don't care if it's perfect or not!
Old 07-09-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by jeank
I have heard that the well known quilts for soldiers group that Fons and Porter promotes will return quilts that do not meet their strict standards. Nothing will hurt a quilter than to be rejected. They will reject on the basis of size and stitch in the ditch quilting.

My sewing group, Miracle Quilts for wounded soldiers, in Oxford MI would never tell someone that their quilt is not good enough.

See video of the quilts here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMLXzTpQzjI

Jean
I am not sure who sponsors what but inspired by these posts I read several sites organizing quilt (and other) donations. The majority appear happy with most donations but, if I read correctly, Quilts of Valor are attempting to have very high quality quilts made that will become thank you/keepsakes. This differs from organizations who want to give active duty personnel, the wounded and veterans something to add to their comfort. Groups sewing for hospitals also have high standards and often give the reasons--durability, washability, ease of use, etc. along with their patterns.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
Could be that in serging, there's no "fold over" to keep the crystals in? Like teeny crystals when they're dry or even wet can sneak out?

Where do you get the crystals?
You can get them in the garden department of stores. Home Depot has it and probably Lowe's etc.

Their original use is to mix with soil for a potted plant. The crystals absorb the water and you don't have to water so often. The crystals also "release" the water slowly.

Once I got my cool tie wet the first time, it lasted for hours. The puffiness never went down all the way, but is still good at absorbing water and staying cool. Ice water is the best!
Old 07-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

mimisharon has a tute right here on this site for these. It is under tutorials.