Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making my first YBR (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-my-first-ybr-t250223.html)

AngeliaNR 07-15-2014 05:04 PM

Making my first YBR

I'm actually following a pattern--I usually go my own way. This one seems a bit odd, though. While it has instructions on how to make the blocks, putting it together feels very random. Lots of "using various combinations" type of directions--no Fabric A, Fabric B, ... I guess this allows for creativity, but I thought a pattern would be more structured, somehow.

I think it will look good--every picture of a YBR I've seen does--it is just different than I expected. :)

nanna-up-north 07-15-2014 05:50 PM

I'm sorry. I don't know what a YBR is.

kristakz 07-15-2014 05:55 PM

Yellow Brick Road, I assume. And yes, it looks like a very "scrappy" type pattern. I've seen ones like this, where you get the assembly directions but not specific fabric placements.

ManiacQuilter2 07-16-2014 06:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I too didn't know the abbreviation either. Yes, there is very little structure with this pattern. I made a few changes so that all my seams didn't meet with another seam. I dislike patterns not telling me with direction to press the seams so my seams when they meet will be pressed in opposite directions. This was a backing for a quilt that was in competition.

Dina 07-16-2014 06:33 AM

I hope you like your final results. I liked mine. I didn't start with fat quarters though, just with 6 or 8 fabrics I liked. I was pleased with the results though. It's been a long time since I made a Yellow Brick Road, but I seem to remember finding the instructions a bit unclear. I was pretty much a real beginner then though. (4 years ago) Make sure you post your quilt, okay?

Dina

Mariposa 07-16-2014 06:36 AM

YBR quilts are fun, hope you can get through the "randomness" factor. :)

sash 07-16-2014 06:38 AM

One of my favorite patterns to make; have made several of them. Just have fun with it.

cassiemae 07-16-2014 10:46 AM

I made a YBR quilt and they are fun to do I will have to find my pattern and see if it sounded complicated or not.
If and when I find it I will let you know in case you want me to send you a copy. I will try and look tonight.
Keep quilting.

Terri D. 07-16-2014 12:18 PM

After making my Yellow Brick Road quilt I agree with you that I prefer a more structured design and layout. The quilt is designed for using up a lot of fat quarters and does rely on scrappiness and randomness in the making of it. I grew bored making mine as there was so little challenge to it. I also disliked the fact that the pattern instructions only showed you how to cut your fat quarter rather than providing a chart showing how many of each patch to cut so that you could use yardage if you didn't have suitable fat quarters. I spent some time studying the pattern and got it figured out but I've avoided patterns dedicated only to fat quarters since that experience.

LynnVT 07-16-2014 12:25 PM

I recently used "Crazy Eights" pattern by "Bits & Pieces" and found the same thing. It showed how to make the block and just said "Move, mix up and turn the blocks so the colors are distributed evenly throughout the quilt. There will be 2 blocks left over. " First, why did I waste my time and money on two blocks that I don't need? And if I bought a pattern, I expect it to be directions for a quilt, not just for a block. I ended up using the blocks with a whole different design in the center. This is why I very rarely spend my money on patterns. There is so much out there for free, and I might as well just make it up myself anyway.