Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making a quilt I despise...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-quilt-i-despise-t7578.html)

quiltwoman 05-28-2008 12:58 PM

for a friend who wants a memorial quilt. I hate the colors, hate the fabrics and have tried my best to persuade them in a direction I feel comfortable going.
:roll:
Anyone else had to make a "stinker" for someone?? I know her heart is in the right place, and mine too, but it just kills me when I try to finish this beast. (I'll post a pix later on...........if I can bring myself to............)
Julie

Chele 05-28-2008 01:06 PM

Just hurry up with it! There are better projects ahead! And I bet they'll love it, so your work will not go unappreciated.

Butterflyspain 05-28-2008 01:07 PM

oh yes, can understand this one totally. When someone wants something and you just KNOW its wrong and you hate it, its just 3 times more difficult.
Mine wasn´t a quilt but two sets of curtains. DOUBLE YUK.

Elle

Moonpi 05-28-2008 01:31 PM

Oh yes! I ended up tying it beause I did not want to look at it anymore.Some people just have zero sense when it comes to colors or patterns. I think it ended up in a cedar chest, never even used.

Another reason I don't do commissioned quilts any more - people who change their minds once work is underway. They seem to be unaware of the planning and cost involved.

zyxquilts 05-28-2008 01:37 PM

Oh yes! My stepmom asked me to make MATCHING twin quilts with a drop to the floor - so really queen-sized quilts. They were in fall colors, which I am not a big fan of working with. (Love looking at others done in fall colors, just not my thing) I finally finished them and gave them to her...then found out she tried to either sell or give them away to my aunt, then one of my sisters! She never paid me for the fabric (as she said she was going to), so I got them back from my Dad & gave to my guild's philanthropy chair! An all-around nasty situation! I had such a hard time working on those colors - I wish Chele had been around to tell me to hurry up & finish them! lol

Knot Sew 05-28-2008 02:57 PM

Well what the heck , some peoples taste is all in their mouth and they eat nothing but crap. Just nod your head and do it your way :wink: :wink:

Chele 05-28-2008 03:13 PM

LOL Ruth, so true! Make what inspires you. Save the rest of the "stuff" to pay for fabric if you need to. I hate seeing "my" quilters' creativity squashed. LOL! You are "my" quilters you know! I've been so inspired by everyone. I have yet to copy every pattern, but I will! Make more, everyone!

SaraSewing 05-28-2008 03:20 PM

It makes me feel happy to say NO sometimes. Try it!

beachlady 05-28-2008 03:45 PM

Julie, I am assuming you are biting the bullet and going ahead with the project. Sooner you get it done, you can move on. Post a picture.

amma 05-28-2008 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ruth Camp
Well what the heck , some peoples taste is all in their mouth and they eat nothing but crap. Just nod your head and do it your way :wink: :wink:

ROTFLMBO You crack me up Ruth! :D :D