Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making a quilt for someone without knowing what they like (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-quilt-someone-without-knowing-what-they-like-t308565.html)

marand 12-11-2019 06:36 PM

Making a quilt for someone without knowing what they like

My husband's niece (his brother's daughter) is getting married next fall. I would like to make a quilt for her as a wedding gift. I don't have a relationship with her really, thus I do not know her likes, dislikes, etc. I know that she appreciates anything handmade. I have made her pocktebooks and bags for various gifts in the past. So for this quilt, where do I start? Colors, designs, size, etc.?? I am thinking a lap/couch quilt rather than one for her bed. I am going back and forth from traditional to modern. I do not want to do a wedding ring quilt. Too hard. And I don' t want to do a hanging quilt. They may not have the wall space or want to hang something. I HAVE googled and searched pinterest. But you all always come up with great ideas too! What do you make when you have no idea of what someone likes for colors and designs? Thanks.
Mary Ann

Patchworkbarb 12-11-2019 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I would do a low volume quilt, with white, cream, pale gray. A disappearing 9patch is easy and looks wonderful sewn up. I say low volume, because then it would go with anything. [ATTACH=CONFIG]620827[/ATTACH]
It was very hard for me to make this quilt for a friend, because I do t normally do low volume. I’m more of a Freddy Moran type personality.

Tothill 12-11-2019 07:27 PM

Are you sure you want to spend the time and money to make a quilt for someone you do not know and whose taste you do not know? Both my time and budget are limited and I cannot afford either to make a quilt for someone I do not know.

PWB has a great idea in a low volume one. One of the throw quilts in my living room is soft grey, taupe, yellow and cream.

If you really want to make a quilt for this couple, I suggest you learn a bit more about them, are they into sports, favourite teams, what are their hobbies? Favourite colours etc. Talk to the parents to get an idea.

Tartan 12-11-2019 07:39 PM

If I didn’t know what a young person liked, I think I would make a chevron quilt. It looks modern and done in shades of grey/white, the monochromatic colour scheme would match most decors.

LAF2019 12-11-2019 09:02 PM

I like the idea of a low volume quilt, too. I would stick with simple geometric patterns, nothing too flowery and nothing too weirdly modern.

Claire123 12-12-2019 02:13 AM

Agree completely this is hard!

aashley333 12-12-2019 03:09 AM

When I want to make a quilt for someone, I ask them to pick a color. Period. Then I let that guide me to the type of quilt that I want to create for them.

bearisgray 12-12-2019 04:34 AM

Any way to get some clues about what she and her husband-to-be like?

tranum 12-12-2019 04:40 AM

Low volume - it will be timeless. I watched a Grandma in a store picking out fabric for a wedding quilt & wondering if it will be well received. It was big, loud butterflies.

marand 12-12-2019 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Patchworkbarb (Post 8339273)
I would do a low volume quilt, with white, cream, pale gray. A disappearing 9patch is easy and looks wonderful sewn up. I say low volume, because then it would go with anything. [ATTACH=CONFIG]620827[/ATTACH]
It was very hard for me to make this quilt for a friend, because I do t normally do low volume. I’m more of a Freddy Moran type personality.

I like this idea. Thank you