Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making a two sided binding for your quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-two-sided-binding-your-quilt-t43637.html)

Sparky 04-23-2010 08:16 AM

I think I have heard about using two different fabrics in a binding, one for the top and a different for the back. Does anyone have any tips for doing this?

laceybritt 04-23-2010 08:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was making a small quilt and ran out of the red fabric to use as binding.
The back was white so I sewed a 1&1/2 strip of red to a 1&1/2 stripof white.
Ironed it and made sure the seam of the binding was on the edge so you can't see the red from the back or the white from the front.
I love it and will do it again.

Pamela Artman 04-23-2010 08:53 AM

What a good idea when you are running low on binding fabric!

dglvr 04-23-2010 09:00 AM

Great idea. Your red and white quilt is beautifal. :thumbup:

clem55 04-23-2010 09:30 AM

your quilt is just too cute!!

just_the_scraps_m'am 04-23-2010 09:40 AM

good idea, it's amazing what you can come up with when you need to! really like that red & white!

canmitch1971 04-23-2010 09:42 AM

It just so happens I got these instructions last Tuesday at my guild meeting.
Two colour binding
Take your 1 5/8" strips & seam them together to make one long strip. Press in half lengthwise with right sides out.
Take your 1 1/8" strips & seam them together to make one long strip.
Take these two strips & sew them together matching the raw edges of the folded one to the raw edges of the other right sides together.
Sew the remaining raw edge of the narrower strip to your quilt and treat just like a regular binding mitering your corners.
You will fold the second colour toward the quilt enclosing the raw edges . This folded edge may be either hand or machine sewn. These directions produce 5/8" wide binding.

The girl who gave us these directions found that she liked it better when she used one strip 1 1/2" and the other one 1".
Michelle

franie 04-23-2010 09:42 AM

WOW would not have thought of that. Your quilt is gorgeous in red and white!

canmitch1971 04-23-2010 09:43 AM

I hope these directions are clear to everybody.

Sparky 04-24-2010 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by canmitch1971
It just so happens I got these instructions last Tuesday at my guild meeting.
Two colour binding
Take your 1 5/8" strips & seam them together to make one long strip. Press in half lengthwise with right sides out.
Take your 1 1/8" strips & seam them together to make one long strip.
Take these two strips & sew them together matching the raw edges of the folded one to the raw edges of the other right sides together.
Sew the remaining raw edge of the narrower strip to your quilt and treat just like a regular binding mitering your corners.
You will fold the second colour toward the quilt enclosing the raw edges . This folded edge may be either hand or machine sewn. These directions produce 5/8" wide binding.
The girl who gave us these directions found that she liked it better when she used one strip 1 1/2" and the other one 1".
Michelle

Perfect, I knew they would not be the same width. I think the narrow strip will be the front color and the wider the back, right?