Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Making a two sided binding for your quilt

I think I have heard about using two different fabrics in a binding, one for the top and a different for the back. Does anyone have any tips for doing this?

I was making a small quilt and ran out of the red fabric to use as binding.
    The back was white so I sewed a 1&1/2 strip of red to a 1&1/2 stripof white.
    Ironed it and made sure the seam of the binding was on the edge so you can't see the red from the back or the white from the front.
    I love it and will do it again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What a good idea when you are running low on binding fabric!

Great idea. Your red and white quilt is beautifal. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    your quilt is just too cute!!

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    good idea, it's amazing what you can come up with when you need to! really like that red & white!

It just so happens I got these instructions last Tuesday at my guild meeting.
    Two colour binding
    Take your 1 5/8" strips & seam them together to make one long strip. Press in half lengthwise with right sides out.
    Take your 1 1/8" strips & seam them together to make one long strip.
    Take these two strips & sew them together matching the raw edges of the folded one to the raw edges of the other right sides together.
    Sew the remaining raw edge of the narrower strip to your quilt and treat just like a regular binding mitering your corners.
    You will fold the second colour toward the quilt enclosing the raw edges . This folded edge may be either hand or machine sewn. These directions produce 5/8" wide binding.

The girl who gave us these directions found that she liked it better when she used one strip 1 1/2" and the other one 1".
    Michelle

WOW would not have thought of that. Your quilt is gorgeous in red and white!

I hope these directions are clear to everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by canmitch1971
    It just so happens I got these instructions last Tuesday at my guild meeting.
    Two colour binding
    Take your 1 5/8" strips & seam them together to make one long strip. Press in half lengthwise with right sides out.
    Take your 1 1/8" strips & seam them together to make one long strip.
    Take these two strips & sew them together matching the raw edges of the folded one to the raw edges of the other right sides together.
    Sew the remaining raw edge of the narrower strip to your quilt and treat just like a regular binding mitering your corners.
    You will fold the second colour toward the quilt enclosing the raw edges . This folded edge may be either hand or machine sewn. These directions produce 5/8" wide binding.
    The girl who gave us these directions found that she liked it better when she used one strip 1 1/2" and the other one 1".
    Michelle
    Perfect, I knew they would not be the same width. I think the narrow strip will be the front color and the wider the back, right?

Blog Entries
    I never thought of doing that! I will definitely give it a try.

Love your quilt.

My binding is always 2 1/2 inches cut and then I fold it in half. Soooo to make a two color binding I cut the strip that is going to be on top 1 inch and the strip that will show on the back two inch then sew them together. the strip should measure a 2 1/2 inch. Then fold that in half and you are ready to put it on your quilt. I made a sample and have it on my work station board to refer to when I need it. Also if I run short on fabric and have a 2 inch strip to begin with I sew another piece on it and fold it in half and hide the piece in the binding. No one will ever see it. I hope all this is clearer than mud Marge

Thanks. I think I will make a sample too.

Blog Entries
    I've made this making the front color 1" strip and the back a 2" strip. Sew both together lengthwise using your 1/4" customary seam. Then press in half lengthwise. Apply as you normally would. I think this is easier than dealing with 1/8" seam increments. Try it w/ scrap fabrics and tell me what you think. SORRY Mic-pa, I hadn't seen your note. I actually ran out of binding fabric on a Xmas quilt I was making and needed only about 8 " more, so I took the fabric I had and put that on the front and made a 2" strip of a similar fabric for the back. Now the front of the quilt looks great and only I know that there is a patch on the back binding that doesn't quite match. Talk about cutting it close...