Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making your own Jelly Roll (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-your-own-jelly-roll-t121695.html)

Jingle 05-08-2011 04:47 PM

I have one from CT, haven't done anything with it yet.

maryb44662 05-08-2011 05:54 PM

Thanks for all the ideas. I will try and use up some scraps, 2.5 wide and sew them end to end until I have the with of fabric (44/45")long. LOL I won't try to roll them into a "jelly roll". Don't think I could get it tight enough. I will try to make 40, 2.5 wide X 44/45" long, then sew them together. I watched the tute on U-Tube and it looked like fun. Again, thanks everyone. Mary

gzuslivz 05-08-2011 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Moda has always had perfect precuts. I won't buy any other brand of precuts.

AMEN!!

Airwick156 05-09-2011 01:47 AM

I just got done cutting a bunch of 2 inch strips out of browns. Going to put them in a container so when I am ready to make a quilt with them they will already be cut. :)

ruthrec 05-09-2011 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by wolph33

Originally Posted by QuiltE

precuts that I bought were off by a half inch.I will not buy them any more-I can cut better than that.I was very disappointed with the lack of accuracy-messed up my project.

I've heard that before, that the jelly rolls (and other pre-cuts) are often not the width they are sold as.

With the stash I have ... I just cut my own for whatever project I want to do!

we are more accurate than the pros,lol. some parts were 2.5 in ,others anywhere from 2-2.25 all on the same strip.

Who is to say that WE aren't the pros here? ;-)

Moedeenie 05-09-2011 03:17 AM

There are 3 books available by Pam and Nicky Lintott with cute easy quilts to make from Jelly Rolls, either precut or from your own stash. The titles are "Jelly Roll Quilts", "Layer Cake, Jelly Roll and Charm Quilts" and their newest book "Two From One Jelly Roll Quilts". These books have great pictures and easy to follow instructions. One tip I read was to cut a 2 1/2 " WOF strip each time you cut a new fabric and before long you will have your own collection of "jelly roll" strips.

whinnytoo 05-09-2011 03:21 AM

Ive run into that same problem with charm packs..... some of the squares were cut in half!! Couldnt return it since I had kept it over a year befor using it. very frustrating!

precuts that I bought were off by a half inch.I will not buy them any more-I can cut better than that.I was very disappointed with the lack of accuracy-messed up my project.

Holice 05-09-2011 04:09 AM

If you use a lot of the 2.5" strips and have the Accuquilt cutters, you can make a gigillion in an afternoon.

canuckninepatch 05-09-2011 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Moda has always had perfect precuts. I won't buy any other brand of precuts.

I agree - the Moda jelly rolls are exactly perfectly cut.

quilter1943 05-09-2011 04:40 AM

What an excellent idea. I had thought about this but never did follow through on it. May do it for my red/white/blue quilts.

Originally Posted by Holice
I just made up a bunch. I tried to include 5 of each fabric or 8, at least in numbers that would add to 40. If I am making tube quilts which takes 4 fabrics, then I make the jelly roll with 10 of each fabric in it.
Lots of books on jelly roll quilts.