Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making your own Jelly Roll (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-your-own-jelly-roll-t121695.html)

maryb44662 05-08-2011 08:31 AM

Has anyone ever made their own Jelly Roll from scraps or pieces of fabric not large enough to make an item? I would love to use up all the "little" pieces of fabric that I have stashed. Need the width and length of a Jelly Roll, then I probably can go from there. I imagine it is just sewing strips end to end. Need advice. Thanks, Mary

NauDeeGal 05-08-2011 08:33 AM

jelly rolls are 2 1/2" wide by the width of fabric cuts. They are packaged in the stores by laying all the strips on top of one another and rolled into the jelly roll. Is this what you were asking. I hope I understood what you meant.

edit: then you sew, cut and resew as you wish to make the pattern that you like or you can cut the strips into squares, traingles, etc then sew them into your blocks.

Scissor Queen 05-08-2011 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by maryb44662
Has anyone ever made their own Jelly Roll from scraps or pieces of fabric not large enough to make an item? I would love to use up all the "little" pieces of fabric that I have stashed. Need the width and length of a Jelly Roll, then I probably can go from there. I imagine it is just sewing strips end to end. Need advice. Thanks, Mary

The main attraction of a jelly roll is they have one 2.5 inch by the WOF strip from every fabric in a collection. That's typically 40 different fabrics.

Holice 05-08-2011 08:51 AM

I just made up a bunch. I tried to include 5 of each fabric or 8, at least in numbers that would add to 40. If I am making tube quilts which takes 4 fabrics, then I make the jelly roll with 10 of each fabric in it.
Lots of books on jelly roll quilts.

BellaBoo 05-08-2011 09:22 AM

The name brand jelly rolls are rolled by machine. Have you ever tried re rolling one? If you don't get it rolled tight the middle will fall out. If I cut my own strips I hold them together with a big metal desk clip lengthwise.

wolph33 05-08-2011 10:00 AM

precuts that I bought were off by a half inch.I will not buy them any more-I can cut better than that.I was very disappointed with the lack of accuracy-messed up my project.

QuiltE 05-08-2011 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by wolph33
precuts that I bought were off by a half inch.I will not buy them any more-I can cut better than that.I was very disappointed with the lack of accuracy-messed up my project.

I've heard that before, that the jelly rolls (and other pre-cuts) are often not the width they are sold as.

With the stash I have ... I just cut my own for whatever project I want to do!

BellaBoo 05-08-2011 03:09 PM

Moda has always had perfect precuts. I won't buy any other brand of precuts.

sueisallaboutquilts 05-08-2011 04:30 PM

I was thinking of making some. I just used a jellyroll from Moda and really enjoyed working with it.
It would be fun to go in my stash and make my own!

PS. Bellaboo- I didn't see your post. My Moda jelly roll was perfect! :D

wolph33 05-08-2011 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

Originally Posted by wolph33

I've heard that before, that the jelly rolls (and other pre-cuts) are often not the width they are sold as.

With the stash I have ... I just cut my own for whatever project I want to do!

we are more accurate than the pros,lol. some parts were 2.5 in ,others anywhere from 2-2.25 all on the same strip.