Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The many ways to use your iron... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/many-ways-use-your-iron-t222957.html)

GrannieAnnie 06-04-2013 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Earleen (Post 6104049)
My old cast iron ones are door stops.

I don't know where my grandma's cast iron irons are. I do remember them being used. We got electricity when I was very, very young. Just remember them sitting on the coal cookstove to heat up.

Also remember 4 digit phone numbers

Marysewfun 06-05-2013 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 6104658)
Also remember 4 digit phone numbers

When hubby and I bought a printshop in 1978 - - the man we bought from was "known to be frugal" - - and we found a Portland, OR phone book with 2 and 3 digit numbers - - and - - bills of lading (invoice blanks to be filled in) with "193___" that were still in his writing desk!

Marysewfun

maviskw 06-06-2013 03:36 AM

Does anyone remember "one long and three short"?

sewmerry 06-06-2013 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw (Post 6106516)
Does anyone remember "one long and three short"?

Yes, and listening in on the steamy calls of the neighbor girls, and holding the line for a busy number by dialing all but the last digit so you could come back anytime later, dial the last digit and connect.But it was really maddening to try to use your own phone when someone had done the same to you!!
I have an iron I could take a shower with. Is there any way to fix a leaky iron? My Rowenta is only 6 months old and won't hold water. Is there a fix? "Nobody" dropped it or knocked it fron the ironing board. Ouch!

leighway 06-06-2013 04:08 AM

My Rowenta leaks all over my counter when it has water in it. It's a great steaming iron but you better use all the water or you'll have a puddle. I'll never buy one again.

meanmom 06-06-2013 04:10 AM

Sewmerry. Rowenta irons are notorious for leaking. Take it back to where you bought it and demand a new one. Good luck.

Wonnie 06-06-2013 05:28 AM

I've used it to stretch knit sweatshirts to fit my rump! They're usually fine up top but scimpy around the "behind". I have someone hold one side against the ironing board while I stretch the opposite side then steam iron in place. Then I reverse the process for the opposite side. After a few boo boo's you learn just how much to stretch it.....start small...you can always make it larger.

cpfrog 06-06-2013 07:02 AM

Lots of great tips for iron uses ... but how did we get to the ol' phones?

Sassylass 06-06-2013 09:53 AM

I too use irons to make grilled cheese sandwiches .

Skyangel 06-06-2013 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Marysewfun (Post 6106056)
When hubby and I bought a printshop in 1978 - - the man we bought from was "known to be frugal" - - and we found a Portland, OR phone book with 2 and 3 digit numbers - - and - - bills of lading (invoice blanks to be filled in) with "193___" that were still in his writing desk!

Marysewfun

I went to work as a bookeeper for a small family-owned photo shop in about 1979. The woman (mom) had done most of it herself from the beginning. She directed me to use columnar paper for my ledger (no computers yet in those days) from a drawer that had already been used on one side. The back side had dates in the 40s and 50s!