Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Marking a Black Quilt Top (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/marking-black-quilt-top-t216986.html)

JustAbitCrazy 03-22-2013 05:25 AM

Roxanne's white pencil comes out nicely. For some motifs, I have ironed on the shape cut from freezer paper and quilted alongside it. It can be peeled off an reused several times. Another way is to mark the motif in permanent marker onto Miracle Film (Sulky has a similar heat-removable stabilizer), and once the marker is well dried, use a temporary spray adhesive to attach to the quilt. Quilt right through the film, and tear it off. I love using white chalk in the Ultimate pounce pad with a stencil.

Traditional Quilter 03-22-2013 02:38 PM

I have used Clovers white pencil, Roxanne's white pencil, and soapstone. All have worked well in small areas, but have no experience with entire quilt. I'm glad to hear all of you that they stay on long enough to quilt an entire quilt. I've found that the white mechanical pencils don't stay on very long but are great for mark as you go.

DeneK 03-22-2013 05:45 PM

I love, LOVE, LOVE this idea (tho I must admit I haven't tried it yet). Was watching a Quilt Show video today and Ricky Tims was showing his machine quilting tips. Actually he shared this at the quilt seminar in Atlanta too. He drew his design on a stabilizer - affixed to the back of the quilt top -- then used water soluable thread in both top and bobbin. Stitched from the back over the drawn design, removed the stabilizer, made the quilt sandwich, and the design was right there on top to stitch over. When the quilt was finished, just soak in water and all the water soluable thread is gone.

soccertxi 03-22-2013 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy (Post 5945784)
For some motifs, I have ironed on the shape cut from freezer paper and quilted alongside it. It can be peeled off an reused several times.

I have done this but cut the shapes out of contact paper. No need to iron ,and no sticky stuff left behind. I have even machine quilted around shapes...but after I had a bit better control of my machine!

janedee 03-22-2013 09:29 PM

I would use an artists light grey watercolour pencil - but I would still check it on the fabric to make sure it came out ok as some fabrics react differently

TeresaS 03-22-2013 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by gsbuffalo (Post 5945518)
I have used the little slivers of bar soap we have.

slivers of ivory soap

lots2do 03-23-2013 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter (Post 5945479)
I use the Bohin mechanical pencils with the white lead. Never had an issue with these marks coming out. Sometimes a little too quickly but I'm a hand quilter and the quilt gets moved around alot. I've learned to only mark as I go. With ANY of the marking tools that I've used.

I'm imagining that you are marking after it's sandwiched if you are marking as you go? Any tips on this.

dd 03-23-2013 04:07 AM

Can you stitch thru the freezer paper? Will it tear off easily?

MaryKatherine 03-24-2013 02:57 AM

I use plain white chalk. Brushes away every time.
MaryKatherine

JustAbitCrazy 03-24-2013 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by dd (Post 5947496)
Can you stitch thru the freezer paper? Will it tear off easily?

NO, you only stitch alongside freezer paper or contact paper. I've used both.