Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Marking a Black Quilt Top

Marking a Black Quilt Top

I have just completed a mostly black quilt top. It now needs to be marked for quilting. I need something to mark it with that will come out of the quilt when I am finished. (I really don't want any light colored lines left over on the quilt.) What is the best available tool or method for the job?

jb

Blog Entries
    I used a piece of white snow. Look what I wrote because I was listening to the amber snow warnings. I meant a piece of white chalk or a white tailor chalk. Must concentrate on. One job at a time.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I use a white artists pencil called Swan Stabilo All Stabilo. It looks exactly like a regular pencil and leaves a straight line like a regular pencil. It is water soluble, and comes out completely. Unlike chalk it will not rub off until you wash your quilt (which I always like to do, since I think it makes them cozier) If you don't wash your quilts it will come off with a damp (wetish) cloth.

You can buy one at any art store or any place with a good selection of art supplies. It costs about a dollar.

I use the Bohin mechanical pencils with the white lead. Never had an issue with these marks coming out. Sometimes a little too quickly but I'm a hand quilter and the quilt gets moved around alot. I've learned to only mark as I go. With ANY of the marking tools that I've used.

Banned
    Bohin, Fons and Porter or Collins mechanical white pencil. or Multi-Pastel Chalk pencils from General Pencil Co
    or the pounce type Miracle Chalk. All have worked for me on black.
    Then get one of those plastic lint brushes from the pet supply. It appears to act as both an eraser and brush. Gentle brushing with this takes the lines off.

I have used the little slivers of bar soap we have.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gsbuffalo View Post
    this is what i do as well. i use a stiff brush to remove the marks afterwards.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I use the Clover fine line white marker. The marks stay until they're quilted, and come off with washing or ironing - and they don't come back. It takes a few seconds for to be able to see the lines develop.

I marked crosshatching on my latest quilt - I did the marking over a year ago and I can still see the lines (I'm hand quilting). I can't really see them once I quilted over them.

Janet

White mechanical pencils from Fons & Porter.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

If you're quilting it yourself by hand or on a home machine and the design isn't *too* complicated, you can use pieces of thin muslin or featherweight sew-in interfacing to mark the pattern so that you'd sew just along the edge of the muslin without catching it in the stitching. Either fabric sticks pretty well, just need a few pins to anchor it. No lint from sew-in nonwoven interfacing.

Roxanne's white pencil comes out nicely. For some motifs, I have ironed on the shape cut from freezer paper and quilted alongside it. It can be peeled off an reused several times. Another way is to mark the motif in permanent marker onto Miracle Film (Sulky has a similar heat-removable stabilizer), and once the marker is well dried, use a temporary spray adhesive to attach to the quilt. Quilt right through the film, and tear it off. I love using white chalk in the Ultimate pounce pad with a stencil.

I have used Clovers white pencil, Roxanne's white pencil, and soapstone. All have worked well in small areas, but have no experience with entire quilt. I'm glad to hear all of you that they stay on long enough to quilt an entire quilt. I've found that the white mechanical pencils don't stay on very long but are great for mark as you go.

I love, LOVE, LOVE this idea (tho I must admit I haven't tried it yet). Was watching a Quilt Show video today and Ricky Tims was showing his machine quilting tips. Actually he shared this at the quilt seminar in Atlanta too. He drew his design on a stabilizer - affixed to the back of the quilt top -- then used water soluable thread in both top and bobbin. Stitched from the back over the drawn design, removed the stabilizer, made the quilt sandwich, and the design was right there on top to stitch over. When the quilt was finished, just soak in water and all the water soluable thread is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
    For some motifs, I have ironed on the shape cut from freezer paper and quilted alongside it. It can be peeled off an reused several times.
    I have done this but cut the shapes out of contact paper. No need to iron ,and no sticky stuff left behind. I have even machine quilted around shapes...but after I had a bit better control of my machine!
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

I would use an artists light grey watercolour pencil - but I would still check it on the fabric to make sure it came out ok as some fabrics react differently

Quote Originally Posted by gsbuffalo View Post
    slivers of ivory soap

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
    I use the Bohin mechanical pencils with the white lead. Never had an issue with these marks coming out. Sometimes a little too quickly but I'm a hand quilter and the quilt gets moved around alot. I've learned to only mark as I go. With ANY of the marking tools that I've used.
    I'm imagining that you are marking after it's sandwiched if you are marking as you go? Any tips on this.

dd
    Can you stitch thru the freezer paper? Will it tear off easily?
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Blog Entries
    I use plain white chalk. Brushes away every time.
    MaryKatherine
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by dd View Post
    Can you stitch thru the freezer paper? Will it tear off easily?
    NO, you only stitch alongside freezer paper or contact paper. I've used both.

I use the white chalk also

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DeneK View Post
    I love, LOVE, LOVE this idea (tho I must admit I haven't tried it yet). Was watching a Quilt Show video today and Ricky Tims was showing his machine quilting tips. Actually he shared this at the quilt seminar in Atlanta too. He drew his design on a stabilizer - affixed to the back of the quilt top -- then used water soluable thread in both top and bobbin. Stitched from the back over the drawn design, removed the stabilizer, made the quilt sandwich, and the design was right there on top to stitch over. When the quilt was finished, just soak in water and all the water soluable thread is gone.
    This is really an interesting idea, but it sounds kind of expensive (stabilizer and water soluble thread). Maybe on a small piece ....

White chalk works great for me. I did a king-sized quit that had lots of black as the background, and white chalk did the trick for me.
    Cathy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland View Post
    I use the Clover fine line white marker. The marks stay until they're quilted, and come off with washing or ironing - and they don't come back. It takes a few seconds for to be able to see the lines develop.

I marked crosshatching on my latest quilt - I did the marking over a year ago and I can still see the lines (I'm hand quilting). I can't really see them once I quilted over them.

Janet

I also use this marker. I use it with machine applique to mark the edge of the dark piece when it is on another dark piece so I can see the edge to follow.
    Debbie
    Machine It

I too use slivers of leftover bar soap. When I'm done, a damp washrag removes the markings.

Blog Entries
    The bar soap is one of my means of transfers, as are the wash-out pens from Wal-Mart. One end is Purple for using and it doesn't last long on the fabric. The Blue end stays until washed. Never had a problem with either.
    Also inexpensive.
    Mariah.
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast